Has Your Taste In Music Changed After Implantation?

It does not say it is just for Dish Network customer. you haven't looked harder or kept reading. I guess you just saw the logo for Dish and stopped there... ;)

when you go to that website, you want to click "channels" the website is just saying that their show is available on Dish Networks along other 500 channels in USA. Chances are that your Direct TV may carry those channels in Ga.

Channels

I found this FAQ:

I did somewhat stop there when I saw the logo for Dish and then just kinda scrolled on. Hmm, not good! :) But here is what I see:

Satellite Companies: We are available 24 hours on DISH Network Satellite TV's channel 9406. MORE INFO. Direct TV does not yet carry us.

Classic Arts Showcase

Correct me if I am wrong again! :)

There's alternative way to watch this show is online via realplayer.

here in tucson, we have "Access Tucson" in Arizona Time zone
Access Tucson - What's On TV - Program - Classic Arts Satellite

Look at the time that it will air for example this evening at 5:30PM AZ Time

then go to this page;
Access Tucson - What's On TV - Watch Online

and click the proper channel it will be on as shown in guide which is 72/97 and it will start RealPlayer up and start streaming :)

5:30PM AZ = 8:30PM EST

Oh thank you SO much!! :)

im crazy over country.. and still do. but i do listen oldie rocks.. mostly in 70's
hubby's prefer to listen The Who's

i do listen other musics too .. One day I was flipping channel and got a channel that based in NH station it was soo beautiful to listen to a BLUEGRASS.. i dont recall the band names.. :(

Wendy

For an interesting take on how even a sound processor upgrade can change a CI users appreciation of music, read Michael Chorost's award winning article published in Wired last summer

My Bionic Quest for Bolero
He's been haunted by Ravel's masterpiece since he lost his hearing. A deaf man's pursuit of the perfect audio upgrade.
By Michael Chorost

Wired 13.11: My Bionic Quest for <em>Boléro</em>

Sheri

For an interesting take on how even a sound processor upgrade can change a CI users appreciation of music, read Michael Chorost's award winning article published in Wired last summer

He's been haunted by Ravel's masterpiece since he lost his hearing. A deaf man's pursuit of the perfect audio upgrade.
By Michael Chorost

Sheri
Regarding Bolero... download this podcast on iTunes Free.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=187556716

Bolero start at 31minute mark in the track

By Michael Chorost

Sheri

Has he managed to win his fight to go bilateral yet? I heard he was having problems with his insurance company.

Bolero is one of my favorite musical pieces!!!

I have found that my tastes, rather than changing, have broadened. I was hearing up until I was 9, and went deaf March 17, 1981, so I have a lot of memories of music prior to that, but didn't know anything after 1981, so its been an experience "learning" new music. Sometimes I want something that's just easy listening - yanni, classicals, Andre Reiu, orchestral. Other times I LOVE country, or rock, or the oldies (I still love listening to ABBA, or The Mama's & the Papa's, or Buddy Holly.)

One thing I have found though is that even with my CI, I have to "teach" myself any new songs by googling up the lyrics while I listen. Since people SING very differently than they SPEAK, quite often its nigh impossible to understand what they are saying. Once I teach myself the words,then I can totally immerse myself in the song. My tastes are SO diverse now - if you were to look at my MP3 player you'd see Buddy Holly, Michael Jackson, Randy Travis, ABBA, Savage Garden, Sir Mix-a-Lot, The Police, Cat Stevens, Joe Diffie, The Rankin Family, The Irish Rovers, and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to name a few....I love variety!!!

Nods, I can actually make out words to commericals and even get most of it but songs and lyrics, I can only make out a word and there. I'll have to check out lyrics so I can figure out what the words are.

My tastes in music have changed somewhat since receiving my CIs.

When I still had enough hearing to enjoy music with HAs, I listened to country, soft rock, Top 40 and heavy metal from the 60's-80's.

After I received my first CI, I started listening to jazz and classical music. (I've even added several new jazz albums to my CD collection. I never thought I'd see the day since I've never been a fan of jazz.)

Interestingly enough, I've found that I can't tolerate listening to heavy metal music anymore. The sound of the guitar (especially at high frequencies) really grates on me.

I've also discovered that I don't enjoy listening to some of the artists I used to like when I was a teen. For instance, I used to be a huge fan of Prince back in his "1999" and "Purple Rain" days, but I can no longer stand to hear his shrieking. LOL!

Another observation I've made in regards to music enjoyment is how much different familiar music sounds with my CIs compared to the way it sounded before with HAs. I'm constantly amazed at how much more I can hear with my CIs compared to HAs. It's like night and day. :)

Prior to receiving my CIs, I could only hear drum beats and loud male vocals. Now I'm able to hear all of the dimensions of music including harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals and instruments whether they are being played alone or in unison.

Being able to hear music in stereo is an amazing experience I can't quite put into words. I can still remember the first time I heard my favorite CD in stereo. I sat and cried because I couldn't believe how beautiful it sounded. :)

Neecy: I know a CI user who has been deaf for 31 years. After her CI was activated, her daughter introduced her to 30 years' worth of music she missed out on after she lost her hearing. One of the music genres she found most interesting to hear was rap. LOL! She has had her CI for 4 years now and still enjoys discovering new music.

I noticed some of you have been discussing Direct TV and the various music channels that are available. Digital cable offers this as well and their music selections are excellent. In fact, many of their selections are hard to find songs that are long out of print. You name it -- they have everything from disco to techno to gospel.

Something I'd love to get is Sirius or XM Radio. Do any of you subscribe to both or either of these services? If so, what is your opinion?

Back