Has Your Taste In Music Changed After Implantation?

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I notice that my taste in music hasn't changed even though music sounds different than it did with my HA.

I've always loved listening to country music and I just found out that my favorite radio staton plays a lot of country music. Don't ask me why. I'm no redneck. I'll also listen to Jazz as well.

No, it hasn't changed my taste in music. I'm fortunate that my CI doesn't sound much different at all. If anything, it brought out some sounds I just didn't hear before.

No, it hasn't changed my taste in music. I'm fortunate that my CI doesn't sound much different at all. If anything, it brought out some sounds I just didn't hear before.

Same here. I wasn't a great fan of music before my CI and I can't say that I've turned into one now. I'm just noticing now after almost a year that music sounds more alive now and I can really discern different notes much better to the point that it almost startles me. I can see why hearing (and some deaf) people really love it, even though I don't.

I'm looking forward to listening to my hearing daughter's musical accomplishments as she goes through school. My husband is musical and is really keen to develop that aspect to her, so I'm sure that she will have music lessons when she is about 7 or so. Even though I can take or leave music, I'm looking forward to sharing in that part of her.

Same here. I wasn't a great fan of music before my CI and I can't say that I've turned into one now. I'm just noticing now after almost a year that music sounds more alive now and I can really discern different notes much better to the point that it almost startles me. I can see why hearing (and some deaf) people really love it, even though I don't.

Er...you're kidding me right? Who doesn't like music? :shock: Oh well, maybe it will grow on your later on. :D

Er...you're kidding me right? Who doesn't like music? :shock: Oh well, maybe it will grow on your later on. :D

I can't explain it. In the past I've been to concerts and have acquired CDs and tapes. But if music all disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't be devastated. I just don't have a passion for it the way I have for reading and photography. I have to say I'm appreciating it more because it sounds interestingly different with my CI. I was listening to someone singing the other week at our church and I could really hear the highs, lows and the beauty of her voice.

Just different interests I suppose.

Before I was implanted, I loved listening to music! After I was implanted, I had to get used to the fact I couldn't listen to music right away because I have been in the process of learning the sounds with the CI.

I had to wait just a little while before I was able to go back to listening to music. Now I am able to listen to music and I still love it! I love it even more than I used to because I am hearing sounds I have never heard before with the HA.

I have never once in my life had any interest in going to the Symphony. Now I want to go!! One day, I will go and I think it will be one of the most memorable moments to experience! :)

Before I was implanted, I loved listening to music! After I was implanted, I had to get used to the fact I couldn't listen to music right away because I have been in the process of learning the sounds with the CI.

I had to wait just a little while before I was able to go back to listening to music. Now I am able to listen to music and I still love it! I love it even more than I used to because I am hearing sounds I have never heard before with the HA.

I have never once in my life had any interest in going to the Symphony. Now I want to go!! One day, I will go and I think it will be one of the most memorable moments to experience! :)
Depending on where you live, you might be able to watch some on TV. It's "Classical music MTV"
Classic Arts Showcase
Classic Arts Showcase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be sure to check out Andre Rieu, it's been popping up on PBS channel from time to time.
http://www.andrerieu.com/

Reading this thread is making me more anxious to get activated. I am so curious as to wheter if my music taste will change or if I will still love music just as much or what?!

Hurry up June 21st!!! :]

I notice that my taste in music hasn't changed even though music sounds different than it did with my HA.

I've always loved listening to country music and I just found out that my favorite radio staton plays a lot of country music. Don't ask me why. I'm no redneck. I'll also listen to Jazz as well.

Just a question... do you watch Bones?

Never heard of it and i rarely watch tv.

Just had to ask as I recently watched an episode of it. It involved a murder victim who was a cochlear implantee and that question you brought up was mentioned in the show.

Just had to ask as I recently watched an episode of it. It involved a murder victim who was a cochlear implantee and that question you brought up was mentioned in the show.

You'd better watch your back tonight deafskeptic! :giggle:

Depending on where you live, you might be able to watch some on TV. It's "Classical music MTV"
Classic Arts Showcase
Classic Arts Showcase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be sure to check out Andre Rieu, it's been popping up on PBS channel from time to time.
http://www.andrerieu.com/

Boult:

Thank you.....I had no idea they played that on MTV! I've always watched the CMT and GAC channels. However, I do listen to some rock'n'roll music as well.

I didn't know it had been popping up on the PBS channel. I think I would rather go to the Symphony in person rather than listen to any of the related music on tv. The clarity wouldn't be the same at all. Wouldn't you think so? :)

Boult:

Thank you.....I had no idea they played that on MTV! I've always watched the CMT and GAC channels. However, I do listen to some rock'n'roll music as well.

I didn't know it had been popping up on the PBS channel. I think I would rather go to the Symphony in person rather than listen to any of the related music on tv. The clarity wouldn't be the same at all. Wouldn't you think so? :)

Not on MTV channel. when I say "Classical music MTV" I mean they show music video like MTV do...
On their website, they have channel listing for your area if there is one.

yeah, I agree that is great to watch and listen in person than on tv.

Not on MTV channel. when I say "Classical music MTV" I mean they show music video like MTV do...
On their website, they have channel listing for your area if there is one.

yeah, I agree that is great to watch and listen in person than on tv.

I had no idea, thank you for correcting me! We don't have the Classical Music MTV. Bummer! The Classic Arts Showcase is for DISH network subscribers. We have Direct TV Satellite and have so many different music channels. However, there is a Classic music channel among all other types of music as well. All the music channels on Direct TV is that as of those on XM Radio. :)

XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service

I had no idea, thank you for correcting me! We don't have the Classical Music MTV. Bummer! The Classic Arts Showcase is for DISH network subscribers. We have Direct TV Satellite and have so many different music channels. However, there is a Classic music channel among all other types of music as well. All the music channels on Direct TV is that as of those on XM Radio. :)

XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service
It does not say it is just for Dish Network customer. you haven't looked harder or kept reading. I guess you just saw the logo for Dish and stopped there... ;)

when you go to that website, you want to click "channels" the website is just saying that their show is available on Dish Networks along other 500 channels in USA. Chances are that your Direct TV may carry those channels in Ga.

Channels

I found this FAQ:
Can I get CAS on a small satellite system?

CAS is available on DISH Network Satellite TV's channel number 9406. Many DISH viewers may need a second dish to get the public interest channels. We have applied to Direct TV.

Back