hard-of-hearing teen in a hearing world

ekjebe

Reaction score
Hello AllDeaf.com! :)

To sum up myself: I was born with hearing loss in my right ear to a hearing family. My hearing has also gotten much worse over time. Now, I wear two hearing aids, but every day is still a constant struggle. I know little ASL, but even if I do work really hard to learn more of it, I have no one to talk to because I don't know anyone else that can sign. My family thinks ASL is too much work. There isn't a single other deaf or hard-of-hearing student in my small-town high school. I have zero deaf or hard-of-hearing friends. As my hearing has gotten worse, I'm finding myself talking less and feeling pretty lonely. I used to love school, now I don't. I used to hang out with friends 24/7, now I don't. I really wish I knew more deaf and hard-of-hearing people, but I don't even know how to meet them. I don't know how to find any deaf or hard-of-hearing communities. I don't even think there are any around me in central Illinois.

Looking for deaf/hoh community in Illinois.

I am 15 and a high school senior located in kankakee, IL. I am not HOH, but would like to become an ASL interpretor. I have taken two ASL classes at KCC (local community college). I have also been looking for a deaf/HOH community or a way to find people who would be willing to communicate with me using ASL, but haven't found anything. I'm sure if I lived closer to Chicago there would be more options. Do you live anywhere close to Kankakee? Would you be willing to get together or email me?

Ask your gudience counselor about any Deaf Ed resources.....she may know of regional programs for dhh teens....I would contact Illnois School for the Deaf: Illinois School for the Deaf
There are also summer camps for dhh teens.... my net is being slow, so maybe someone could post the Clerc Center linky!

Jacksonville is halfway between Hannibal and Springfield. I would check with the special education people in your school, and see if they could arrange something. Lacking that, contact them and talk to your parents about evening and weekend activities there. If your hearing is continuing to deteriorate, it may be essential for you to do something about it.

hey, HOH hearing teen here and is about to be 18 this month :) (I'm HOH in my left but almost deaf in my right ear now that it's severe)

welcome to the site :D

Jacksonville is halfway between Hannibal and Springfield. I would check with the special education people in your school, and see if they could arrange something. Lacking that, contact them and talk to your parents about evening and weekend activities there. If your hearing is continuing to deteriorate, it may be essential for you to do something about it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Illnois has a really strong continuum of placement. Meaning it offers a regional dhh mainstream high school approach. You may not need the intensity of a Deaf School approach, but I think you would benefit strongly from a regional dhh approach.

Back