Hard of hearing - daily/classroom difficulties

Like Beo- I was always placed in the front due to between my deafness and my low vision.

I still lipread but I don't rely on it because you only get something like 30% (with hearing aids). Without my hearing aids in... and I get caught out with parents coming up to me yapping.. I get.. NOTHING back with a lucky guess here or there on what they're talking about. So I just go get either hearing aids or the boogie board...

Lipreading is draining and a pain in the ass.

I do an impression of what they sound like to me. Doubles as an IQ test:

To fail all y'all gotta do is say, "No, I don't sound like that."

I was the sole deaf student in high school, and I was placed in front of the classroom "to lipread better."
I had nightmares till my mid-thirties.

I *still* do that crap out of habit.

"Oh @Dundreary, y'all so ambitious sitting in the front row"

"No, I be sitting in the front row cause my ass got brainwashed by well meaning people who thought improving classroom comprehension from 20% to 23% was a good thing."

Thank you, @DeafDucky for answering @Sherlyn's questions for me. lol

@Sherlyn, sorry to be slow to answer your questions. Well, what @DeafDucky said is correct! :D I was too busy in real world. Anyway, Yeah, I was blessed with good friends who helped out. They understand my frustration so well, because their primary language is not English. Our private school is an international school. Very tough and expensive school. After classes, we put our heads together to share our notes, so we didn't miss out.

@DeafDucky, I don't blame you for being tired and take a wonderful nap on school bus. Most of my friends from private school slept on the school bus, too, because they were way too busy with their private lessons and activities. Most of them had to learn at least 2 or 3 languages. They used to ask me for American English and slang lessons. We often fought over a spot in the back of the school bus, because the long seat was the best sleeping position. Ha.. I even let them sleep on my shoulder. ZzzzzzZZZzzzZZ

@DeafDucky, I don't blame you for being tired and take a wonderful nap on school bus. Most of my friends from private school slept on the school bus, too, because they were way too busy with their private lessons and activities. Most of them had to learn at least 2 or 3 languages. They used to ask me for American English and slang lessons. We often fought over a spot in the back of the school bus, because the long seat was the best sleeping position. Ha.. I even let them sleep on my shoulder. ZzzzzzZZZzzzZZ

@Barbaro - hahaha I don't recall any of the seats being longer (our bus was an ancient looking thing... along with the driver- but he was a cool dude- same driver for all 6 years I went there). Anyway- on our bus.. there was a really strange hierarchy... the small ones sat in the very front while seniors in HS had dibs on the back of the bus lol. Everyone else was in between though kind of moving from 1st through 12th grades. If we managed a nice spanking new bus once in a while (rare) we could curl up a bit as the seats were much pumper and the back of the seats were covered as well (the old bus well metal hand bars on backs of seats and exposed metal (quite a few graffiti..<ahem>).

Thank you, @DeafDucky for answering @Sherlyn's questions for me. lol

@Sherlyn, sorry to be slow to answer your questions. Well, what @DeafDucky said is correct! :D I was too busy in real world. Anyway, Yeah, I was blessed with good friends who helped out. They understand my frustration so well, because their primary language is not English. Our private school is an international school. Very tough and expensive school. After classes, we put our heads together to share our notes, so we didn't miss out.

Sounds fun! I really love my friends too! They're really understanding and helped me out. I kinda kept mum and didn't tell anyone for 3 years and only told most of them after my school officially ended. Even without telling them my problems, they still helped and we helped one another and cared for one another and have a very strong bond with each other :) I miss those days we slept in class together and I would be caught snoring by the teacher.. xD

Back