Hard of hearing and tired of asking to repeat

Saavik

Reaction score
I'm tired of constntly having to ask people to repeat things. As I said in my introduction thread, my hearing took a huge hit in the military and only seems to be getting worse. I'm taking ASL because it's interesting and it's better to learn it while I still have hearing. I try to overcome my hearing loss, but it seems to make things more irritating for me. I got lost on a trip because I couldn't hear my friend's GPS, strangers become annoyed because they speak at low volumes and I can't understand them, so I cup my ear and focus hard to understand them. Why people can't speak up when you ask them to reapeat and make the obvious sign (Ear cupping) that you can't hear.

I've been considering how to deal with this and I've considered just signing, maybe people won't talk to me and create irritating situations where I have to get everything repeated. Since I started ASL 1, I have found it more interesting than verbal communication. I'm sure I won't fit in with deaf culture, but I don't pretend to be deaf, just hard of hearing and I will gladly sign that to anyone I might converse with in ASL.

I remember I got pulled over for playing loud music in my car, but its the only way to really hear it and other than my military paperwork noting a loss of hearing from the time I enlisted until the last hearing examination, I have no other means to show my hearing loss to them. I'm not sure what to do or how to proceed, I'd like the community's advice.

I'm sure I won't fit in with deaf culture

You'll be surprised. I've had the occasional thought that I would always be on the outside looking in, I have found there is very little truth to that. If I think I'm an outsider then I am an outsider. If I know I'm a part of the Deaf Community then I am part of the community.

Last edited:
Is your hearing loss military-related? If so, you should be able to get a HA through your VA office/hospital. Are you at a certain disability percentage yet? (C&P?)

At any rate, I'm thrilled you are learning ASL. It will come in handy for you!

(My husband is a disabled vet, so if you have any military-related questions about getting help for your hearing loss, feel free to write or PM me)

You'll be surprised. I've had the occasional thought that I would always be on the outside looking in, I have found there is very little truth to that. If I think I'm an outsider then I am an outsider. If I know I'm a part of the Deaf Community then I am part of the community.

I hope so.

Do you own a hearing aid?

No, I need to get my hearing tested again, which I have no idea how to get this done on the civilian side.

Is your hearing loss military-related? If so, you should be able to get a HA through your VA office/hospital. Are you at a certain disability percentage yet? (C&P?)

At any rate, I'm thrilled you are learning ASL. It will come in handy for you!

(My husband is a disabled vet, so if you have any military-related questions about getting help for your hearing loss, feel free to write or PM me)

It is, but I'd have a hard time proving it since the reserves never seemed to do or keep any paperwork on injuries that occurred on active duty orders. The only documents I had showing this was my medical file, but I don't have that, the Army kept it in their files. It might be easier to find a way through civilian means, rather than DoD/ VA.

Research some hearing aids on the net. Most people on here use Phonak, but you might want a different brand. Go to a doctor and get your ears checked out, they will give you a hearing test. After that, find an audiologist in your area that sells the brand of hearing aid you need.

Chances are you just need a good aid and a few lifestyle changes. Learning ASL is a good idea too in case you want to communicate with deaf people too.

You'll live.. :wave:

It is, but I'd have a hard time proving it since the reserves never seemed to do or keep any paperwork on injuries that occurred on active duty orders. The only documents I had showing this was my medical file, but I don't have that, the Army kept it in their files. It might be easier to find a way through civilian means, rather than DoD/ VA.

Put in a request for your C-File. It contains All your records. You are entitled to that. Go to your county's Veteran Affairs Office. Get a case started for you. A VA Officer will fill out or help you fill out paperwork.

Do you own a hearing aid?

That was my first thought when I read their post. Learning ASL is good, and will come in handy. But if you're sick of having to ask people to repeat, imagine how they are if repeating. Nobody wants to holler all the time, its probably not that theyre soeaking "so softly" you just cabt hear them. Get hearing aids, if you're still able to hear anything without aids, they'll probably work very well. You're the one with problem, you've got to be proactive and do something about. As has been mentioned, you're going to need an audiologist. The VA might be able to help as well as the vocational rehabilitation center.

Research some hearing aids on the net. Most people on here use Phonak, but you might want a different brand. Go to a doctor and get your ears checked out, they will give you a hearing test. After that, find an audiologist in your area that sells the brand of hearing aid you need.

Chances are you just need a good aid and a few lifestyle changes. Learning ASL is a good idea too in case you want to communicate with deaf people too.

You'll live.. :wave:

I just looked at the price of Phonak and if all hearing aids cost that much, then I can't afford them.

Put in a request for your C-File. It contains All your records. You are entitled to that. Go to your county's Veteran Affairs Office. Get a case started for you. A VA Officer will fill out or help you fill out paperwork.

Wherever that is, I'll google it to find a location, but a fresh hearing test would be better.

That was my first thought when I read their post. Learning ASL is good, and will come in handy. But if you're sick of having to ask people to repeat, imagine how they are if repeating. Nobody wants to holler all the time, its probably not that theyre soeaking "so softly" you just cabt hear them. Get hearing aids, if you're still able to hear anything without aids, they'll probably work very well. You're the one with problem, you've got to be proactive and do something about. As has been mentioned, you're going to need an audiologist. The VA might be able to help as well as the vocational rehabilitation center.

I see your point, but I'm not sure if its bad enough to warrant hearing aids. It probably is, but I'm not an expert and I don't feel I can afford to see an expert. I very much doubt the VA will do anything, so putting them aside, what other options are out there? I can still hear without them, but it can be challenging at times and sometimes people talk to me and I don't even hear or know they are trying to speak to me until they speak louder, which grabs my attention. I can't hear a GPS, music has to be turned way up to actually hear it, which isn't helping my hearing.

This is going to sound stupid, but do hearing aids have to be set for each person, like glasses have to be just right for each wearer? If not, does an audiologist have ones I can try out to see how it improves my hearing?

Wherever that is, I'll google it to find a location, but a fresh hearing test would be better.

Your case file would cover that as part of your C&P.

You live in Virginia. I don't know what part or what county you live in, but check out: Virginia - Locations

This would be a starting point for you.

I very much doubt the VA will do anything, so putting them aside, what other options are out there?

The VA has changed a lot over the years. Make an appointment to see someone; the VA covers all or half of hearing aids and one of my audis said Phonak is one of them that the VA covers and it's had a good success rate. Don't be so quick to dismiss the VA just because you don't know the first step. They'll walk you through it.

Laura

I just looked at the price of Phonak and if all hearing aids cost that much, then I can't afford them.

I see your point, but I'm not sure if its bad enough to warrant hearing aids. It probably is, but I'm not an expert and I don't feel I can afford to see an expert. I very much doubt the VA will do anything, so putting them aside, what other options are out there? I can still hear without them, but it can be challenging at times and sometimes people talk to me and I don't even hear or know they are trying to speak to me until they speak louder, which grabs my attention. I can't hear a GPS, music has to be turned way up to actually hear it, which isn't helping my hearing.

This is going to sound stupid, but do hearing aids have to be set for each person, like glasses have to be just right for each wearer? If not, does an audiologist have ones I can try out to see how it improves my hearing?

Yes, analogue aids are pretty much a thing if the past, they're digital now and programmed according to your loss. I've been your boat, I'm late deafened, trust me you need hearing aids if you're having such trouble and you will thank yourself later for getting them!! They might take a little adjusting to but it's worth it :D good luck!

Your case file would cover that as part of your C&P.

You live in Virginia. I don't know what part or what county you live in, but check out: Virginia - Locations

This would be a starting point for you.

C&P? Case file? You mean the results from my entry hearing test and last test where hearing loss was reported? The nearest office is in Roanoke, according to mapquest is 97.98 miles one way. That's just too far to travel, I can barely afford to commute to school and work.

The VA has changed a lot over the years. Make an appointment to see someone; the VA covers all or half of hearing aids and one of my audis said Phonak is one of them that the VA covers and it's had a good success rate. Don't be so quick to dismiss the VA just because you don't know the first step. They'll walk you through it.

Laura

I kind of quit the reserves due to medical issues not being cared for and a plethora of reasons I'm not going to delve into. So I seriously don't think they will see me. I haven't even recieved my discharge yet, but it's likely going to be other than honourble.

Yes, analogue aids are pretty much a thing if the past, they're digital now and programmed according to your loss. I've been your boat, I'm late deafened, trust me you need hearing aids if you're having such trouble and you will thank yourself later for getting them!! They might take a little adjusting to but it's worth it :D good luck!

Will my hearing get progressively worse if I don't get hearing aids? I took note of the radio volume on my way home from work and saw the car's volume had exceeded 75% of the radio's total volume, meaning 25% higher and the radio would have been maxed out. That is the only way for me to clearly hear my music. It feels like my ears have popped from elevation, but won't unpop. It's hard to explain every detail, but you get the picture. Every day is the same, people say something to me, I don't hear them and they get mad because I didn't hear them attempting to get my attention.

As a kid, I never thought I would ever have hearing problems, until a few years ago, the thought never really crossed my mind. It's a scary thought to realise you are losing one of your senses and as a music lover, this is bad news indeed.

If you are not working or working part time as of right now. You can try to contact your voc. reh in VA. Sometimes VR can help by having you be tested etc from there. BUT every states that VR may have differently rules.

Try VA if it is not going well then Voc. Reh. I am pretty sure that you are aware that the large number of Deaf/hoh/deaf people who lives in VA MD AND DC. they should know what to answer you about the hearing aid.

C&P? Case file? You mean the results from my entry hearing test and last test where hearing loss was reported? The nearest office is in Roanoke, according to mapquest is 97.98 miles one way. That's just too far to travel, I can barely afford to commute to school and work.

I kind of quit the reserves due to medical issues not being cared for and a plethora of reasons I'm not going to delve into. So I seriously don't think they will see me. I haven't even recieved my discharge yet, but it's likely going to be other than honourble.

C&P is Compensation and Pension for anyone qualifying for disability benefits.

A case file would be what your local Veteran Affairs Services Office would open for you.

A C-File contains all your medical and military records.

It would be worth the drive for you to make at least one trip to get that started. You might not have to make future trips after. And, based on your disability rating, your travel may be reimbursed.

However, if you're dealing with the possibility of a dishonorable discharge, that could be a problem for you. I would say:

1) don't give up until you know your discharge rating

2) at least get a file started in Roanoke.

3) Apply with VR

4) Apply with SSDI to get some benefits that may help with HAs. SSDI goes a long way for disabled veterans. From one government agency to another.

Anyways .. I suspect there's a lot more to this story than you are sharing, so I'll stop now. I was only trying to help because I have experience in this area.

Will my hearing get progressively worse if I don't get hearing aids? I took note of the radio volume on my way home from work and saw the car's volume had exceeded 75% of the radio's total volume, meaning 25% higher and the radio would have been maxed out. That is the only way for me to clearly hear my music. It feels like my ears have popped from elevation, but won't unpop. It's hard to explain every detail, but you get the picture. Every day is the same, people say something to me, I don't hear them and they get mad because I didn't hear them attempting to get my attention.

As a kid, I never thought I would ever have hearing problems, until a few years ago, the thought never really crossed my mind. It's a scary thought to realise you are losing one of your senses and as a music lover, this is bad news indeed.

You could have your results fax to you and if you go to a VA office they'll help you with the paper work. I when to VA office in my city as I wanted to have plaque for my dad being a vet of WW1 and the guy was very helpful and was able get copy of my dad discharge papers and this was from 1917 .
I think you should at least call your VA office, it sure can't hurt.

If you are not working or working part time as of right now. You can try to contact your voc. reh in VA. Sometimes VR can help by having you be tested etc from there. BUT every states that VR may have differently rules.

Try VA if it is not going well then Voc. Reh. I am pretty sure that you are aware that the large number of Deaf/hoh/deaf people who lives in VA MD AND DC. they should know what to answer you about the hearing aid.

I don't know anyone deaf of HOH and I live in a very rural area.

C&P is Compensation and Pension for anyone qualifying for disability benefits.

A case file would be what your local Veteran Affairs Services Office would open for you.

A C-File contains all your medical and military records.

It would be worth the drive for you to make at least one trip to get that started. You might not have to make future trips after. And, based on your disability rating, your travel may be reimbursed.

However, if you're dealing with the possibility of a dishonorable discharge, that could be a problem for you. I would say:

1) don't give up until you know your discharge rating

2) at least get a file started in Roanoke.

3) Apply with VR

4) Apply with SSDI to get some benefits that may help with HAs. SSDI goes a long way for disabled veterans. From one government agency to another.

Anyways .. I suspect there's a lot more to this story than you are sharing, so I'll stop now. I was only trying to help because I have experience in this area.

No, Other than Honourable, not dishourable. Is there no other way to get my hearing checked out other than through the VA, you have no idea how much I don't want anything to do with the military or anything even remotely connected to it. I don't care about getting disability pay, I just want to know where my hearing is at right now and protect it so I don't end up totally deaf and unable to enjoy music or sound at all. Nothing agaisnt deaf, just I don't want to lose what I'm sure most deaf people would give anything for. I'm probably wrong on how others view regaining or gaining the ability to hear, so I'll hut up before I offend anyone else.

You could have your results fax to you and if you go to a VA office they'll help you with the paper work. I when to VA office in my city as I wanted to have plaque for my dad being a vet of WW1 and the guy was very helpful and was able get copy of my dad discharge papers and this was from 1917 .
I think you should at least call your VA office, it sure can't hurt.

You mean like an oupatent clinic for the VA? I think there is one near my college. As I said before, I'd rather not deal with the military or anything even remotely connected to the military. As a civilian, how can I get free or very low cost hearing test?

However, if you're dealing with the possibility of a dishonorable discharge, that could be a problem for you.

If it's a dishonorable discharge, he's out.

Here some options: Vocational Rehab services, shop around (there's usually no charge for a hearing test but states may vary), get on some kind of payment plan or just live with not hearing. It's pretty cut and dry when you take out the VA. Sorry your tenure with the military ended on sour note.

ah it's a medical discharge then

Back