HA vs CI"s

I have Cochlear and have no problem with wind noise. Also my hair does not cause any noise at all and I have long hair.

I don't think I will ever hear music again. I am totally deaf both ears get a NR when tested.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Rhondo processor and it may have changed my decision if it had been announced last year.

Anyways the best way to pick in my opinion is to just write down a list of YOUR pros and cons for each brand.

Examples:
Rhondo Pro:
Nothing on ear
NO cables

Cons:
More possible to get lost (though you will notice when you no longer hear anything)
No direct connect (correct?)
Microphone placement

versus
Neptune Pro:
Nothing on ear
Accessories like the t-comm
Can be worn in many different ways
Dials for volume AND sensitivity
Standard audio cable port

Cons:
Microphone placement (fixed with the t-comm accessory)
Cables cables cables
Cables are expensive
Cats think cables are tasty :nono:

I did a pro/con list and it points to Med-el, however, the big con that I don't know about is staff experience. The surgeon and one audi both have experience with it, they just don't have any current patients with one. There are about 10 clinics that do CI's within about 70 miles of my house. Only 3 of them deal with 2 or more brands (the rest only do Cochlear), one is out of network for my insurance, the second I can only find information on pediatric implants. I'm sure they do adults but I can't find any info. I am being seen at the third. My daughter has an appointment today with her ENT (sinus issues, not hearing thankfully) and I am going to ask her about all of this as well. She is regarded as the best ENT in our area for "regular" ENT issues.

Talked to DD's ENT. She suggested getting a second opinion at the University clinic and gave me the dr that she would suggest I see. She said if that doesn't work she will find someone else for me. She said pretty much the same thing I was thinking about the clinic I do go to that while their skill is probably fine they seem to push the "sales" part of things more (she didn't come out and say that but eluded to it and I knew what she meant). I put in a call to their scheduler but she wasn't in today. Hopefully I can get this set up soon.

I'm under a bit of a time crunch with having people home during the day while I am trying to learn to use the CI so I need to get this done in April or so ideally.

I did hear back from the audi at the first clinic and it sounds like she likes the Med-El better actually but since so many people pick the Cochlear she just works with that more--mainly they pick for size, fit, etc. She likes the technology in the Med-El better. The surgeon uses as small of an incision as possible. She also said that the "marketing" of these devices gets in the way of what is really important, which is true, and since you can't really fine a good sample size of people that have used more than one device, it's hard to say which one works better than another. I've just seen more people with Med-El happier with their music listening results than Cochlear so that does make a difference to me. The MRI/magnet thing, however, is a big concern I talked to the MRI tech today about that

I had an MRI today, CT scan last week showed some fibrosis outside of my cochlea and he wanted a better picture of that before surgery but it wasn't something that would prevent the surgery, just a slightly different way he wanted to approach the cochlea he said. My left ear facial nerve isn't completely protected by bone so he wanted a clear picture of that so he could avoid that area--which is a good thing :D. Their company policy is to not do MRI's on anyone with any cochlear implants. That is just one imaging center here's policy though. Anyone else had experience with needing an MRI while they have a CI?

When I broke my leg in Maui they wanted to do a MRI but since I have a CI we didn't. It did cost me a significant delay in proper treatment.

I have some brain issues due to the illness I had that caused my total deafness. My Neurologist would like a MRI but we try to get by with a CT scan for now. I wear a medical alert bracelet that says "Cochlear Implant-No MRI's" suggested by my doctor.

Sounds like your doing a great job with your research. It is a big decision, I wish you the best!!!

I've decided to switch to another clinic. I just wasn't feeling 100% comfortable with the other one. I got a package in the mail today with information on all 3 brands. First impression--why do you send DVD's to people that can't hear :giggle:. I'm assuming they are subtitled, not really planning on watching them unless they are useful?

I put sticky notes in the booklets where I have questions. I have appointments the first week in April with the new clinic. Spring break vacations are messing up MY time schedule :D.

Here is my comparison-I'll probably start some cat fight with this but here goes:

Cochlear--it's like the Ford of the industry, it gets you from here to there, they add in a lot of bells and whistles to make it more physically attractive but doesn't have it where it counts. It's a good option for those that have never had hearing or have never had functional hearing. It does a good job there but for people that know what sounds are supposed to sound like, it really doesn't sound like it's any better than digital hearing aids.

Med-El-is the Toyota of the industry. They don't have a lot of bells and whistles and put their research and technology where it counts. Seems like it is a better option for those with sudden hearing loss or those that have had good results for the most part with hearing aids and just can't get good enough results any more.

AB--not sure what to make of this--maybe Volvo---ugly but reliable as heck??? I know the engineers like this one the best. What I just can't determine is how much of a difference it makes??? I know Bleeding Purist has a lot to say on this. It's just hard to know because you can't really compare one to the other.

I'm assuming that if I get a med-el implant I can't use the AB processor (behind the ear part if I am using my terminology correctly). Is that correct? Just thinking down the road...

Nope. if You get a Med-El implant, only a Med-El processor will work with it. There's no mixing of products.

I've decided to switch to another clinic. I just wasn't feeling 100% comfortable with the other one. I got a package in the mail today with information on all 3 brands. First impression--why do you send DVD's to people that can't hear :giggle:. I'm assuming they are subtitled, not really planning on watching them unless they are useful?

AB--not sure what to make of this--maybe Volvo---ugly but reliable as heck??? I know the engineers like this one the best. What I just can't determine is how much of a difference it makes??? I know Bleeding Purist has a lot to say on this. It's just hard to know because you can't really compare one to the other.

The DVDs are subtitled and it wouldn't hurt to watch them.

Just wondering. .. Where are you seeing "ugly" with AB? I am sure you have nothing in your packet for the new Naida CI BTE. You would have been given Harmony and Neptune brochures. You would not have the Harmony. More info on the Naida CI will be coming soon.

Yes, it is a direct spin off of the Phonak Naida.

The DVDs are subtitled and it wouldn't hurt to watch them.

Just wondering. .. Where are you seeing "ugly" with AB? I am sure you have nothing in your packet for the new Naida CI BTE. You would have been given Harmony and Neptune brochures. You would not have the Harmony. More info on the Naida CI will be coming soon.

Yes, it is a direct spin off of the Phonak Naida.

I meant Volvo's are ugly :D. They are getting better now though.

How soon is soon? There is mention of the partnership with Phonak but nothing about the Nadia in the info.

Basically the Med El and AB brochures talk about the science behind their products, give differing information about the same study where Cochlear talks about all the extra stuff you can get with your Cochlear and how they have the biggest market.

It looks like over the course of the next few months we will see more info. Currently, you can go to AB's website (choose the Global version when prompted) and see an overview of the new processor, though there are plenty more details to come. Canada just approved it along with the name. So news is likely to be brisk.

It looks like over the course of the next few months we will see more info. Currently, you can go to AB's website (choose the Global version when prompted) and see an overview of the new processor, though there are plenty more details to come. Canada just approved it along with the name. So news is likely to be brisk.

Ok--I just really wish I understood this better. Since you do, how would you rate them on a scale of 1-10, ten being the best. Is AB say an 8, Med-el a 6, etc?

Ok--I just really wish I understood this better. Since you do, how would you rate them on a scale of 1-10, ten being the best. Is AB say an 8, Med-el a 6, etc?

Oh no. While I might joke in private. .. When mentoring someone my goal is to help them decide for themselves what is best for them. It's an individual thing. You need to be sure of your decision when you go into surgery. While I believe AB is the best all around choice, you need to know for yourself if their suite of features is for you.

I discourage you from Cochlear knowing that music is important to you and that you probably want to increase your chances of having decently enjoyable music. Having perfect pitch with a CI is unrealistic, but casual consumption (read: not a musician that will pick apart every last detail) is possible. There are people who have Cochlear who enjoy music. .. But as you noted the people with Med El seem to be more convincing. That was true for AB as well for me. It helped that one of the people I spoke with who had AB played guitar and sang, in public.

Oh no. While I might joke in private. .. When mentoring someone my goal is to help them decide for themselves what is best for them. It's an individual thing. You need to be sure of your decision when you go into surgery. While I believe AB is the best all around choice, you need to know for yourself if their suite of features is for you.

I discourage you from Cochlear knowing that music is important to you and that you probably want to increase your chances of having decently enjoyable music. Having perfect pitch with a CI is unrealistic, but casual consumption (read: not a musician that will pick apart every last detail) is possible. There are people who have Cochlear who enjoy music. .. But as you noted the people with Med El seem to be more convincing. That was true for AB as well for me. It helped that one of the people I spoke with who had AB played guitar and sang, in public.

That was NOT helpful :D. It's like trying to decide which pesticide to buy off commercials having grown up in the city and never stepping foot on a farm. THEY all sound great. How does one that is not an engineer wade through what is marketing and what is real??? I've pretty much ruled out Cochlear unless my surgeon and audi have pretty convincing information otherwise--not expecting that though.

That was NOT helpful :D. It's like trying to decide which pesticide to buy off commercials having grown up in the city and never stepping foot on a farm. THEY all sound great. How does one that is not an engineer wade through what is marketing and what is real??? I've pretty much ruled out Cochlear unless my surgeon and audi have pretty convincing information otherwise--not expecting that though.[ /QUOTE]

The best I can do is send you back to cochlear implant HELP. The comparison chart on the site answers your questions in terms of what's real without any marketing slant.

AB's new implant (Naida CI Q70) is awaiting FDA approval in the US. It is already approved in Europe and Canada. Estimated release here is early summer. Any AB implant recipient implanted after September 2012 will receive the Naida CI when it becomes available. If you get 1 processor, they will loan you a Harmony or Neptune, and you would give it back when you get the Naida CI. If you get 2 processors, you get to pick whether you want your own Neptune or Harmony, and then you also get the Naida CI when it comes out. I get option 2, because my clinic gives you 2 processors. I was activated with the Neptune yesterday.

New cochlear implant processor from Advanced Bionics | I look so I can hear....

That was NOT helpful :D. It's like trying to decide which pesticide to buy off commercials having grown up in the city and never stepping foot on a farm. THEY all sound great. How does one that is not an engineer wade through what is marketing and what is real??? I've pretty much ruled out Cochlear unless my surgeon and audi have pretty convincing information otherwise--not expecting that though.
What really did it for me is AB's implant's ability to simultaneously stimulate multiple electrodes. The others can't do that. This is as close to normal cochlea function as there is! My Dad is an Engineer and after reading all the technical mumbo jumbo that makes my head hurt, he said AB, and wouldn't even touch Cochlear.

AB's new implant (Naida CI Q70) is awaiting FDA approval in the US. It is already approved in Europe and Canada. Estimated release here is early summer. Any AB implant recipient implanted after September 2012 will receive the Naida CI when it becomes available. If you get 1 processor, they will loan you a Harmony or Neptune, and you would give it back when you get the Naida CI. If you get 2 processors, you get to pick whether you want your own Neptune or Harmony, and then you also get the Naida CI when it comes out. I get option 2, because my clinic gives you 2 processors. I was activated with the Neptune yesterday.

New cochlear implant processor from Advanced Bionics | I look so I can hear....

Is it worth waiting for the new implant or will that have no real effect on the new processor? I know at the old clinic I would get 2 processors, assuming the same at the new clinic.

Is it worth waiting for the new implant or will that have no real effect on the new processor? I know at the old clinic I would get 2 processors, assuming the same at the new clinic.

From my understanding, there isn't a new implant (inside the ear), there is only a new processor (behind the ear) which Alex will be getting soon. She has the nepture (waterproof one) now.

Back