HA vs CI"s

I did find one post on the Med-el user site where someone got to see the audi demo pack for the Rondo. He said it was thicker then the normal headpiece attachment and wouldn't be good if you wear hats/helmets etc. He also said that given that you don't really "feel" it like you do a BTE, losing it could be an issue.

I'm not all excited for the Rondo. I just don't much care for the idea of an all-in-one strictly in the headpiece type of processor. Just not for me I don't think. I'd rather have something on my ear or something I can clip to me. And I LOVE the T-mic feature from AB.

Another question about CI's--I saw on one blog post or somewhere that people were complaining about wind noise with the CI's. Is that a big issue? I was SO happy not to have that when I switched to my BTE.

Another thought about the Rondo--I wonder what effect having your hair moving over the microphones would have. I wonder if you would hear that?

Another question about CI's--I saw on one blog post or somewhere that people were complaining about wind noise with the CI's. Is that a big issue? I was SO happy not to have that when I switched to my BTE.

Another thought about the Rondo--I wonder what effect having your hair moving over the microphones would have. I wonder if you would hear that?

It hasn't been a big issue for me. My T-Mic on my BTE seems to be more naturally shielded by my ear. When I wore the Neptune and my older PSP processor (you would not have one of those, obviously) the wind was more noticeable due to the mic location on the headpiece being less shielded. It's not a constant issue.. it just depends on how much wind. As for hair, that will depend on your hair. It definitely isn't an issue at all for me. My hair is short though.

One thing to keep in mind about the Neptune is that the headpiece is small enough to wear under a hat, assuming the hat isn't too tight around the band. I liked doing this because it allowed me to go incognito with nothing on my ear. You can still hear through the hat. Also, the hat works to block any wind. It would be ideal while golfing.

Rondo sounds like it might be too thick for that. Otherwise it would be perfect for wearing under a hat.

This is what one guy has done to help with wind noise......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 20
yeah I keep meaning to go to Radioshack to find some mic covers. Living in Wyoming the Windy State, yeah it'd be an requirement to need the mic covers haha.

nah, I'll just go to radioshack when I remember to, since we have 2 in town. :)

Ok, so I did a pro/con list between Cochlear and Med-El. Med-El has way more pro's for me and I'm leaning toward that (clinic does not do AB). The big con is that while the dr has experience with them previously, no one else in their clinic uses them so the audi's have been trained on them, their experience with them is limited. My main goals are to preserve as much of my residual hearing as possible (and I realize that might be none) and to have a chance to still listen to music and appreciate music, beyond being able to understand people better.

So, how different are the mappings between the two? If the audi is skilled on the Cochlear, will that skill transfer to the Med-El?

Ok, so I did a pro/con list between Cochlear and Med-El. Med-El has way more pro's for me and I'm leaning toward that (clinic does not do AB). The big con is that while the dr has experience with them previously, no one else in their clinic uses them so the audi's have been trained on them, their experience with them is limited. My main goals are to preserve as much of my residual hearing as possible (and I realize that might be none) and to have a chance to still listen to music and appreciate music, beyond being able to understand people better.

So, how different are the mappings between the two? If the audi is skilled on the Cochlear, will that skill transfer to the Med-El?

I couldn't say for sure. Personally, I would not want to stay with a clinic with such limited expertise, focused on one brand.

How many processors do you get in your package? Rondo sounds like the type of processor you'd want as an additional processor rather than your one and only processor. Make sure they provide two processors as many Centers do. Did you find out what kind of incision they use as well?

I couldn't say for sure. Personally, I would not want to stay with a clinic with such limited expertise, focused on one brand.

How many processors do you get in your package? Rondo sounds like the type of processor you'd want as an additional processor rather than your one and only processor. Make sure they provide two processors as many Centers do. Did you find out what kind of incision they use as well?

I forgot to ask about incision--I'll email them. They give 2 processors with both brands. The Dr clarified that he and one audiologist, their most experienced one, both have Med-El experience, they just do more Cochlear implants. I was pretty set on Med-El but he basically said that it has more to do with the surgeon's and audi's skills vs the actual brand. This is such a hard decision. I hate that you can't try before you buy :D. He did say that if we implant one and I don't like it, we can implant the other brand in the other ear. Not sure I would want to do that--just for convenience but it's an option. The engineers I've found online though, all say Med-El.

I guess the question is how important is the actual implant vs the processor you use? I know everyone says "it's personal" but how can you really know which one is best for you? This is such a HARD decision and it really can't be "undone" all that easily....

Last edited:
I believe your physician was being flippant with his "Hey, if you don't like it we'll try a different brand in your other ear." He's really saying you'll likely be happy with whatever you choose. It's not like you'll know what you could have had.

That said.... he's taking a little too much credit for how well it will work. A successful and correctly performed procedure is a given if it is to work well. The most advanced device isn't worth a damn if the procedure is botched or the Audi is an idiot.

But no surgical skill can provide you with more sound resolution or current steering if the device doesn't have it. At a basic level... they all work well. We are now at a point where we are going beyond the basics and into sound quality. If you want a shot at pleasing music quality, then I add my vote to the engineers for Med El. Remember what I said about that IDR? Even if you ignore all else. ..the fact Cochlear is still using a 45 IDR should give you pause. I use a 90 IDR, normally. I've used a 60 IDR... though I can still enjoy music, it sounds muted with less detail. I can't imagine having my maximum IDR be 45.

I believe your physician was being flippant with his "Hey, if you don't like it we'll try a different brand in your other ear." He's really saying you'll likely be happy with whatever you choose. It's not like you'll know what you could have had.

That said.... he's taking a little too much credit for how well it will work. A successful and correctly performed procedure is a given if it is to work well. The most advanced device isn't worth a damn if the procedure is botched or the Audi is an idiot.

But no surgical skill can provide you with more sound resolution or current steering if the device doesn't have it. At a basic level... they all work well. We are now at a point where we are going beyond the basics and into sound quality. If you want a shot at pleasing music quality, then I add my vote to the engineers for Med El. Remember what I said about that IDR? Even if you ignore all else. ..the fact Cochlear is still using a 45 IDR should give you pause. I use a 90 IDR, normally. I've used a 60 IDR... though I can still enjoy music, it sounds muted with less detail. I can't imagine having my maximum IDR be 45.

The Dr. did ask me to forward the question about the IDR to the audi (she wasn't in the office today). I did email her about that.

Wind noise has always been an issue for me with HA's and CI's, although it is not as bad with the CI's.

Rode my bicycle 26 miles last weekend...first time I left the CI's on. Had a spandex head cover which helped keep the CI parts in place. Nice to be able to hear what the other cyclists were saying, but the constant roar of the wind was irritating. Same goes for motorcycle helmets.

Wind noise has always been an issue for me with HA's and CI's, although it is not as bad with the CI's.

Rode my bicycle 26 miles last weekend...first time I left the CI's on. Had a spandex head cover which helped keep the CI parts in place. Nice to be able to hear what the other cyclists were saying, but the constant roar of the wind was irritating. Same goes for motorcycle helmets.

Every time I hear of people covering their CI's to reduce wind noise I think of my hearing aids and the feedback from them if I wear a hat, etc. Assuming that does not happen with the CI's?

Every time I hear of people covering their CI's to reduce wind noise I think of my hearing aids and the feedback from them if I wear a hat, etc. Assuming that does not happen with the CI's?

No, it doesn't. :D

It is definitely a perk to never deal with feedback, ever.

no feedback with CI's, it's GREAT! there's no sound trying to squeak out with the CI like there is with the hearing aid.

I am GLAD to hear that!!! My BTE's are pretty good and rarely do I get feedback but if I wore a headband or something they would. My ITE's were horrible!!

I'm just agonizing over brand choice folks. I think I would really do the "best" with the Med-El's but the clinic has the most experience with the Cochlear's. There are other clinics I could try, but I can't really find any information on how good they are. I tried to get approved to go to Mayo (out of network) but no go on that.

I would decide which brand you want based on what's best for you, not on what your center has experience with. Once you choose your brand, then you can choose your center. JMO. My center does all 3 so I didn't have to worry about that.

Back