HA for Low Frequency Loss (70 DB)

KimInGA

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice/experience for Hearing Aids on a low frequency loss? I've read that most hearing loss is in the higher frequencies and so this is what a lot of Hearing Aids are tailored to.

I have borderline severe loss in the lower frequencies (60-70 DB) that starts trending upwards and even approaches normal (20 DB) at the very highest frequencies tested. My speech discrimination is 44% although reality is that if I'm in a noisy setting and someone leans over and says something into my right ear I understand nothing. There's quite a bit of distortion and also noise sensitivity, like I have to wear an earplug if we go to a restaurant with a live band. I understand that this is all pretty normal for someone with Meniere's.

Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated! I've waited 2.5 yrs hoping some more hearing would return but alas it has not and it's time to do something about it. I'm realistic, I know I'm never going to have "normal" hearing in that ear.

Most major brands (Phonak, Oticon, Widex, Siemens, Starkey) can easily accommodate that type of configuration.

While high frequency loss is slightly more common (especially in people +50), low and mid frequency losses are very common as well.

My right ear heads from 75 up to 35, so I feel your pain. I'm wearing Widex Diva's which I love but they don't make them anymore. You'll very likely need a BTE, and not open fit. Some RITE's may work if you can get a custom mold. I was surprised to find that some of the micro Phonaks are stronger in low frequencies than the low and mid power full size BTE's, so check into those. I've been planning on new aids and have a mini-list to check into further; some of these may work for you. Take a look at the Phonak Exelia Art M and Micro (I think this is the one where the Micro does a bit better in low frequencies), the Phonak Bolero and the Oticon Agil. There are tons more that could/would work, those are just the ones I was looking at.

Good luck!

My loss is reverse but also pretty flat.

My left starts at 120db lows and then from 1000htz, it's 110db flat.

My right starts at 120db lows and then from 1000htz it's 95db flat.

I love Phonaks but I've only ever had Phonaks. People say Oticon are more natural but don't do the most powerful aids that I need :)

I also have a reverse slope loss though mine is turning into a reverse cookie bite loss it seems :(

Anyways you should read through this article for some interesting insights pertaining to reverse slope losses:
The Bizarre World of Extreme Reverse-Slope Hearing Losses

It might not help as much for you as I'm guessing from your wording that you have a normal ear but it's worth a read.

Also have you had it looked at to determine the cause?

Back