HA and school

Oh and I wish you were near me. I remember being self conscious about my aids. Fifteen years ago you would never have seen me with purple hearing aids. It takes time.....

Oh and I wish you were near me. I remember being self conscious about my aids. Fifteen years ago you would never have seen me with purple hearing aids. It takes time.....

I am with you on that. Now I have purple aids, with pink/blue swirl molds, and my aids always have rhinestones on them. I also have very short blonde hair that doesn't cover my aids at all.

And I put in for my transcripts to be sent last week. I turn in my application after the 28th. I'm so nervous!
Good luck!!!! I really think you are going to LOVE it. It is SO nice dealing with professionals and teachers who are actually SOMEWHAT familiar with dhh students.
I think you'll thrive at Gally both academicly and socially. And there are some hoh kids there...it's not just for Deaf "voice off unaided/unCId students. Heck Gally had a booth at the Clarke School Mainstream conference.

Thank You! :) I just got my two references, my ASL teacher and my English 101 teachers. And I put in for my transcripts to be sent last week. I turn in my application after the 28th. I'm so nervous!

I hope i can get interps but probably not. I will go to the disability office when school starts again.

:ty::wave:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I'm so jealous you might go to Gally. I want to visit there but you have to know some ASL, and I only know basics. :(

Good luck with everything though!

Natty, do you mean do a semester there? They have a program for new signers in the summer, so maybe you could do the fall semester and take the summer sign immersian program.

Someone else explained captioning.

An FM system is basically a little mic and transmitter your prof would wear and the sound is transmitted to your hearing aids so you can hear the prof without the background noise.

I heard about a CART , it plugged into a computer and it print what people are say. A deaf and hoh center has them.A person told it worked this way , so I am not sure if this how a cart work

I had a captionist (CART) for the first time last semester. I have mixed feelings. I like pictures and words and I like to take my time. Taking a math course with a captionist did not work for me because I wasn't really capable of reading equations on the board and reading the transcript simultaneously.

HA do help, but it cannot act as a solution.

I had a captionist (CART) for the first time last semester. I have mixed feelings. I like pictures and words and I like to take my time. Taking a math course with a captionist did not work for me because I wasn't really capable of reading equations on the board and reading the transcript simultaneously.

Glad you posted that. It is one of the limitations of CART. People really need to be aware of the way it actually works in a real classroom situation.

yes, I could never do Cart with math class. I like to watch how my teacher solve math problems step-by-step on board/whiteboard/projector. It's hard when he doesn't face you though. Both most of them in my high school used a projector so they could face me and show me step by step at the same time. They also write down little notes as they do it so I know what I am suppose to do. I've always been good at math, and I think this is the reason.

but on the other hand. I had a kindergarten teacher where I can vividly remember who yelled at me at the whole time because she couldn't get me to understand how to add and substract. She was getting frustrated because I couldn't understand her. (I don't think I was good at understanding what people were saying to me at the time) She was just your average public school kindergarten teacher so she did not know how to handle a child who is deaf.

Youtube on Cart : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knwb9vIfbVk]YouTube - Richard Demonstrates CART System[/ame]

I am with you on that. Now I have purple aids, with pink/blue swirl molds, and my aids always have rhinestones on them. I also have very short blonde hair that doesn't cover my aids at all.

I wish so too. I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately, the hearing aid makes me tired and frustrated. It's like everyone expects me to be able to instantly understand everything now. "well, don't you have your hearing aid in?" The teacher in my art class plays music during class and it's like being drowned in noise. And i know now that i do not like the sound of shoes. taking it off and putting it on disorients me for the first few moments, i just wish i had someone to talk to about it who understands. my cousin doesnt know what to say, and since ASL classes aren't available during summer quarter I don't have the emotional support I have had the past 2 quarters. I didn't realize how much being around people who sign and having someone to talk to about all this helped me until now. I miss my ASL class so very much :(
and im tired of answering questions about my ears to everyone who sees my HA or hears the squeal from it...and if i hear "oh im so sorry" one more time i might scream.

I am actually thinking about cutting my hair shorter. I have to pin it up because it scrapes over the mic and makes horribly distracting noises. I gave up on trying to conceal it after the first day. I just got an FM system today so trying to hide it behind my hair wouldnt work anyways. Im not ashamed of my HA, I just dont want all the poking and prodding and "whats it like"s and the "aw u poor thing"s. Im sick of it and its only been a few days. IDK whats worse, the 20 questions, unrequested pity or my family saying "is that really NECESSARY?" excuse my language but: SCREW it all.

Good luck!!!! I really think you are going to LOVE it. It is SO nice dealing with professionals and teachers who are actually SOMEWHAT familiar with dhh students.
I think you'll thrive at Gally both academicly and socially. And there are some hoh kids there...it's not just for Deaf "voice off unaided/unCId students. Heck Gally had a booth at the Clarke School Mainstream conference.

Clarke School Mainstream conference?
Ty, the more i attend Clark the more I remember the struggles of highschool.. its so hard not to just "check out" like I did as a child. I just keep thinking, i wish i was somewhere i didnt have to put on a bionic ear to communicate without giant gaps.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

:ty:

I'm so jealous you might go to Gally. I want to visit there but you have to know some ASL, and I only know basics. :(

Good luck with everything though!

Natty, do you mean do a semester there? They have a program for new signers in the summer, so maybe you could do the fall semester and take the summer sign immersian program.

I will be taking the *i think its called?* Jump Start program when I go. I will have completed ASL5 by that point, but it is still good and I am excited to be around signing peers. I wish i could go tomorrow!

I am going to try the FM system. We will see. My aunt said that if it doesnt help and just frustrates me more that I should just go back to what i know. the HA seems to help a bit I think. Im still getting used to it, and to be honest so far i hate the *pardon my language* damn thing. it refuses to stay in my ear canal, is uncomfortable, makes me drained and sounds like i have a machine spitting random sounds into my head. but i am trying to get used to it, because i am trying to get through this year without straining like i ususally do only understanding half whats going on.

im so frustrated, my family says "but you do well without help" and they dont understand how very hard it is. how much i miss, and how much i need to concentrate and ask so many questions to make sure i got all the info right... and i just feel guilty and needy when they say that. but then i remember that they do not understand what its like, and that i shouldnt feel guilty about wanting to understand immediately versus all the work i normally need to communicate.

i feel alone.

yes, I could never do Cart with math class. I like to watch how my teacher solve math problems step-by-step on board/whiteboard/projector. It's hard when he doesn't face you though. Both most of them in my high school used a projector so they could face me and show me step by step at the same time. They also write down little notes as they do it so I know what I am suppose to do. I've always been good at math, and I think this is the reason.

but on the other hand. I had a kindergarten teacher where I can vividly remember who yelled at me at the whole time because she couldn't get me to understand how to add and substract. She was getting frustrated because I couldn't understand her. (I don't think I was good at understanding what people were saying to me at the time) She was just your average public school kindergarten teacher so she did not know how to handle a child who is deaf.

i signed up for online classes in math. that is a very VERY bad subject for me. I am completely math illiterate. i can't even do my times tables. i already have a hard time with numbers and trying to mentally interpret what a teacher is explaining on top of trying to grasp the concepts is a headache. so i signed up for online classes so i dont have to and do that. ever since elementary school math classes are so very hard, someone on alldeaf said they did better in math once at Gally because they can see the math being done.

im sorry about that :( my kindergarten teacher taught me the manual alphabet because it helped me recognize my ABCs. but i have had many teachers who thought i was stupid because i didnt always understand, and i repeat in different form what was just said to confirm i got it right, and i ask lots of questions to fill in blanks..etc. So many teachers just "wrote me off". there were a few over the years who took the time to know me and realized i am bright i just needed "individualized attention" and patient communication and i am forever grateful for them.

American school systems make me angry and sad with how they handle dhh kids. i plan to change all i can about that.

I wish so too. I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately, the hearing aid makes me tired and frustrated. It's like everyone expects me to be able to instantly understand everything now. "well, don't you have your hearing aid in?" The teacher in my art class plays music during class and it's like being drowned in noise. And i know now that i do not like the sound of shoes. taking it off and putting it on disorients me for the first few moments, i just wish i had someone to talk to about it who understands. my cousin doesnt know what to say, and since ASL classes aren't available during summer quarter I don't have the emotional support I have had the past 2 quarters. I didn't realize how much being around people who sign and having someone to talk to about all this helped me until now. I miss my ASL class so very much :(
and im tired of answering questions about my ears to everyone who sees my HA or hears the squeal from it...and if i hear "oh im so sorry" one more time i might scream.

I am actually thinking about cutting my hair shorter. I have to pin it up because it scrapes over the mic and makes horribly distracting noises. I gave up on trying to conceal it after the first day. I just got an FM system today so trying to hide it behind my hair wouldnt work anyways. Im not ashamed of my HA, I just dont want all the poking and prodding and "whats it like"s and the "aw u poor thing"s. Im sick of it and its only been a few days. IDK whats worse, the 20 questions, unrequested pity or my family saying "is that really NECESSARY?" excuse my language but: SCREW it all.

I have never really made an effort to hide my aids. I also don't find I get many questions but everyone around me knows I am Deaf. I will often get compliments from people who like my pink and blue swirled earmolds or the rhinestones on my aids.

I would personally rather people ask than assume too. I also never get pity. That only comes when you feel sorry for yourself too - at least that is what I find.

i can't even do my times tables.

you mean as in remembering your multiplication or you don't quite understand it yet? I think I can explain it to you if you need help on that.

My FAVORITE children's book on multiplication is 100 Hundred Hungry Ants : [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Hungry-Ants-Elinor-Pinczes/dp/0395631165[/ame]

Keep on reaching for the stars :)

Clark as in Clark University up in Worcester? I know quite a few deaf/hoh hearing people -college students and 20's - in that area.

I can imagine how tough it is to hear. I have had a CI for 15 and even with that, I can't hear everything! It helped soo much when I started learning ASL when I was 14. Although my parents dont think I "need" it, I love ASL and just signing because well.. its easier than listening 24/7.

I went to a private college in MD my first year, and it was awful trying to follow along.. so I left and went to a state school for awhile. State was pretty bad in terms of disability support. (they thought deaf =blind and i needed braille- they couldn't have been less helpful!!) --It wasn't until I left and transferred to NTID/RIT in Rochester, NY where its sooo much easier to hear (and see visually!!)

Having ASL interpreters, student notetakers, C-Print/CART (both similar concepts to each other) ready helps soo much. Even though I can hear some of what is going on.. I have it ready backed up because i just can't focus enough to listen for 2.5 hours -it's draining :)

P.S. I suggest you take a math class in person, but ask to be placed in a longer class 2-3 days a week. I took a course 3 days a week for 2 hours. The first hour was spent going over hwk & 2nd hour to teach us (i'm really really bad at math). The professor always wrote on the board then faced me to speak. I had a interpreter who interpreted the things in a simple way (she wasnt the best signer, but she helped alot!).

Oh & it also helps to know if the professors have a mustache or an accent. I avoid those professors, but sometimes I'm out of luck!

Good Luck at Gally if you get in. I wish you the best. (I went to high school there for 2 years, so I know what its like).

Clark as in Clark University up in Worcester? I know quite a few deaf/hoh hearing people -college students and 20's - in that area.
No Clarke School for the Deaf in Northampton. VERY ORAL only!
I can imagine how tough it is to hear. I have had a CI for 15 and even with that, I can't hear everything! It helped soo much when I started learning ASL when I was 14. Although my parents dont think I "need" it, I love ASL and just signing because well.. its easier than listening 24/7.

I went to a private college in MD my first year, and it was awful trying to follow along.. so I left and went to a state school for awhile. State was pretty bad in terms of disability support. (they thought deaf =blind and i needed braille- they couldn't have been less helpful!!) --It wasn't until I left and transferred to NTID/RIT in Rochester, NY where its sooo much easier to hear (and see visually!!)

Having ASL interpreters, student notetakers, C-Print/CART (both similar concepts to each other) ready helps soo much. Even though I can hear some of what is going on.. I have it ready backed up because i just can't focus enough to listen for 2.5 hours -it's draining
It just reiterates what I hae been saying ALL along........ Even kids who are oral sucesses can SIGNIFICENTLY benifit from ASL and Deaf culture! It's a FACT that most dhh kids have HUGE issues with working so hard with hearing and talking...Why not give them a tool to make it EASIER? The more tools the better!

ooh gotcha, it's clarke!

It just reiterates what I hae been saying ALL along........ Even kids who are oral sucesses can SIGNIFICENTLY benifit from ASL and Deaf culture! It's a FACT that most dhh kids have HUGE issues with working so hard with hearing and talking...Why not give them a tool to make it EASIER? The more tools the better!

Ooh, if it had been spelled right, I would've caught it off the bat. Clarke! I love that place. My parents refused to let me go to Clarke opting for a mainstream placement instead but I grew up going to every single summer camp at Clarke from age 6 until I was about 13. Loved Mr. Storm! (Keep in mind this was before I met anyone who knew ASL- around age 14-15)

Yeah, alot of deaf people I know with CI dont benefit from it as much due to their parents not putting in time and effort to help them hear with it. My parents spent over 12 hours a day focusing on me driving me to speech therapy up at UCONN for over 14 years, and focusing on speech centered activities while "playing as a kid". Even my little brother learned how to speak at age 1 1/2-2 due to being at my speech therapy which I think was pretty funny! P.S. I love knowing how to talk because i'm such a chatterbox, but I love signing up a storm!

Yeah, alot of deaf people I know with CI dont benefit from it as much due to their parents not putting in time and effort to help them hear with it. My parents spent over 12 hours a day focusing on me driving me to speech therapy up at UCONN for over 14 years, and focusing on speech centered activities while "playing as a kid".
On the other hand, our generation of CI kids really had VERY mixed results with speech and listening perception. Also many kids who REALLY did well with CIs were the kids who were the product of intense therapy or oral schools.

I have never really made an effort to hide my aids. I also don't find I get many questions but everyone around me knows I am Deaf. I will often get compliments from people who like my pink and blue swirled earmolds or the rhinestones on my aids.

I would personally rather people ask than assume too. I also never get pity. That only comes when you feel sorry for yourself too - at least that is what I find.

I already have problems with.."fitting in" and I just thought it would make me stand out even more. I know i shouldnt care about that, im still coming to terms with myself. i dont really know where i belong at the moment. i always had this view of myself and how i was supposed to act in public/around people and that is all changing now.
those sound pretty! rhinestones? where did u get those? i like rhinestones too :)

i suppose i do a little bit at the moment. i am trying really hard to get used to everything, and its really hard. its not my hearing loss that i feel sorry about, its that my self-image is changing and idk what to do with myself anymore..maybe a better way to say it is i feel lost, and a little scared.

I wouldn't say that i express that feeling towards others though. I do get a lot of "oh im so sorry"s and it always is confusing but i just say "eh, im fine." or "its ok" and shrug... idk what else to say. if i say "why?" it turns into a whole conversation that i just dont wanna go through... :/

you mean as in remembering your multiplication or you don't quite understand it yet? I think I can explain it to you if you need help on that.

My FAVORITE children's book on multiplication is 100 Hundred Hungry Ants : Amazon.com: One Hundred Hungry Ants (0046442631167): Elinor J Pinczes, Bonnie…

remembering them. idk why but i cant for the life of me memorize those things! oh thank you, i will check that out! my mom suggested flash cards too. i will try both :) :ty:

Having ASL interpreters, student notetakers, C-Print/CART (both similar concepts to each other) ready helps soo much. Even though I can hear some of what is going on.. I have it ready backed up because i just can't focus enough to listen for 2.5 hours -it's draining :)

P.S. I suggest you take a math class in person, but ask to be placed in a longer class 2-3 days a week. I took a course 3 days a week for 2 hours. The first hour was spent going over hwk & 2nd hour to teach us (i'm really really bad at math). The professor always wrote on the board then faced me to speak. I had a interpreter who interpreted the things in a simple way (she wasnt the best signer, but she helped alot!).

Oh & it also helps to know if the professors have a mustache or an accent. I avoid those professors, but sometimes I'm out of luck!

Good Luck at Gally if you get in. I wish you the best. (I went to high school there for 2 years, so I know what its like).

Clark in vancouver WA. its a community college..they are ok. they are nice enough. they gave me an FM system but i still have not had a chance to use it. i tried with my art teacher but he just smiled and set it down on the table. i dont think we were communicating well, and i am going to try again next class. this time i have a paper explaining it so hopefully that will help.

when i started ASL1 i had no idea what would open up for me. i miss my class so much, the two days a week were the only time i felt up to speed and..idk how to put it. signing with my teacher and a few of my classmates felt so liberating and instant there is no lag, no translating in my head. no fill-in-the-blanks. it was like all of a sudden i had people around me, actually there not behind a big glass wall.

i noticed how much easier it was in soc with the interps. but i dont qualify for interps, just the FM. i'll see if it helps! i hope so. my cousin said maybe i should buy a tape recorder too and go back over the classes when i get home.

i noticed some teachers are super awesome and some are not so much. my yoga teacher is always really sure to face me, and speak up when i look lost. but my art teacher was so...idk apathetic? SWCDHH told me if he refuses to wear the FM again next class after giving him the explanation paper to tell the school cause thats breaking the law. I hope i dont have to do that. I almost would rather just not know whats going on in the class. i hate confrontation lol...

i really should have signed up for a real-life class instead of online. i am really behind and completely totally lost and its only the 2nd week of classes! :/ i may end up having to retake the class if I dont get my stuff together. if i do i will sign up for a real class.

yeah i try to get female teachers because of the mustache thing. the accent i cant really tell until first class though, i wish there was a directory i could look that up! lol! :P my dr. office is staffed by mostly Russians with super thick accents... what a pain. -_-

:h5:

I already have problems with.."fitting in" and I just thought it would make me stand out even more. I know i shouldnt care about that, im still coming to terms with myself. i dont really know where i belong at the moment. i always had this view of myself and how i was supposed to act in public/around people and that is all changing now.
those sound pretty! rhinestones? where did u get those? i like rhinestones too
Oh yeah I know totally what you mean. I grew up in a horribly snotty town. But things will change.....I know when I was a teen I HATED my hearing aids

Back