HA and school

Wintermagnolia

Reaction score
So I get a black hearing aid for my right ear *although the dr. said both are pretty much same level loss right is worse slightly insurance only covers one*
and my Dr. says it will help a lot with classes. Lecture classes are like hell on earth for me (except sociology because my friend has interpretors so i just follow them instead of trying in vein to follow the teacher).
Anyone have improvement in classes after wearing HA?
It is small enough and colored to match my hair, but i still dont know how i feel about it. I wont wear it most of the time, just when at school or at the store/bank, places where asking to repeat are frowned on.
I am applying for Gally, hopefully to start Fall '11. If i get in, I will be RUNNING to the airport! A school I wont be constantly straining to keep up?? YES PLEASE!!!

I am kind of confused about my emotions too. I feel liberated knowing now, because of everything I had trouble with as a child and the feeling disconnected from the world and isolated. I was always confused in school and I thought i was dumb. Starting college I realized i am not, just cant follow along as well. On the other hand, my friends and family seem sad and disappointed that I have hearing loss. My om actually cringed when I told her I think im HOH and was getting tested soon. My dad said "you hear enough." My cousin and sister are the only one's who where not "oh...im so so SORRY!"
Why?? No one was sad for me when I discovered i have ptsd. And THAT actually does make my life hard- in ways that can't be "worked around".
IDK it just kinda feels like everyone is pitying me and I don't want-or NEED- that. All i need is for people to not complain about my closed captioning anymore! LMAO! :lol:

Anyways, :ty: for reading!

<3 Winter

What is your hearing loss like? That will effect how well the hearing aid works - a bit at least. What about an FM system? Or using a note-taker or real time captionist or interpreters for all of your classes?

I am applying for Gally, hopefully to start Fall '11. If i get in, I will be RUNNING to the airport! A school I wont be constantly straining to keep up?? YES PLEASE!!!
That is VERY exciting! I hope you get in! Would be SO cool.
So I get a black hearing aid for my right ear *although the dr. said both are pretty much same level loss right is worse slightly insurance only covers one*
Well at least insurance covers ONE!
One thing I would advise you to do....go to the disabilty office and see if you're eligible for any accomondations. Also when you apply to Gally, remember to mention that you were handling a hearing university unaided/without much accomondations, and that may have played a part in any bad grades you got. And hopefully your grades will improve with your aid.

Anyone have improvement in classes after wearing HA?
It is small enough and colored to match my hair, but i still dont know how i feel about it. I wont wear it most of the time, just when at school or at the store/bank, places where asking to repeat are frowned on.

<3 Winter

I understand :aw: I just recently started wearing an HA, it's also small and colored to match my hair. It was weird at first, getting used to hearing noises and voices, at work, that I had not heard well in a long time-like someone to the left of me (where my loss is) calling my name or whatever. It's also been nice to hear better at the store/bank and places like that. It defenitely takes getting used too though!

Good luck with getting into school! It sounds like a great opportunity.

Doctors that tell students that the simple act of putting on an HA is going to create much improvement for them in classes need to be shot. They obviously have no idea of the impact of deafness in a classroom nor of the many variables that affect the efficacy of the HA.

What is your hearing loss like? That will effect how well the hearing aid works - a bit at least. What about an FM system? Or using a note-taker or real time captionist or interpreters for all of your classes?

what do you mean? I dont know what FM system or real-time captioning is... is that like on my TV? cause the real time captioning on my TV does not help. I prefer the pre-recorded CC... I cant follow lips with real-time captioning and it just confuses me even more. I'm not sure if i would be eligible for interpreters? if i was that would save my freakin life though. Soc was SOOO much easier to follow with interps. and it helped improve my signing dramatically. Just having someone to sign with helps.

That is VERY exciting! I hope you get in! Would be SO cool.
Well at least insurance covers ONE!
One thing I would advise you to do....go to the disabilty office and see if you're eligible for any accomondations. Also when you apply to Gally, remember to mention that you were handling a hearing university unaided/without much accomondations, and that may have played a part in any bad grades you got. And hopefully your grades will improve with your aid.

i know! me too! I'm pushing myself very hard so that I can get in. It is my dream. My mom says "don't pin your hopes on it-be ready to stay in community college." I dont care what she says- i am putting my hope there. Gally is where I want to go.
I will remember that :ty: :)

I understand :aw: I just recently started wearing an HA, it's also small and colored to match my hair. It was weird at first, getting used to hearing noises and voices, at work, that I had not heard well in a long time-like someone to the left of me (where my loss is) calling my name or whatever. It's also been nice to hear better at the store/bank and places like that. It defenitely takes getting used too though!

Good luck with getting into school! It sounds like a great opportunity.

yeah to be honest i am scared of what the world will sound like. I am used to the way my life is, and i'm not sure I like how everyone keeps telling me the HA will "fix my life". I mean, i have issues in stores and classes and giant family gatherings but it's not like im broken. I just need people to slow down a bit and sometimes repeat. That doesnt seem like it should be so much to ask of ppl.
I am not sure i will wear my HA anywhere except school, medical and stores. I do not think i am broken, and if my friends doesnt like it they dont have to come over. I am who i am right?

:ty::ty: :)

Doctors that tell students that the simple act of putting on an HA is going to create much improvement for them in classes need to be shot. They obviously have no idea of the impact of deafness in a classroom nor of the many variables that affect the efficacy of the HA.

yeah i am worried about that too. everyone says "fix you!" but what if 1) it doesnt help much or 2)i dont like it.
they will expect me to wear the damn thing anyways, and that will cause problems. i'm stubborn, if i dont like it i wont wear it plain and simple.

Everything is changing and it is so confusing. I am happy because I feel liberated, set free.
I am scared because everyone "knows whats best" and is acting like i just found out i have cancer or something.
I keep getting bombarded with memories of growing up, and wondering what my life would have looked like if I'd known sooner.

what do you mean? I dont know what FM system or real-time captioning is... is that like on my TV? cause the real time captioning on my TV does not help. I prefer the pre-recorded CC... I cant follow lips with real-time captioning and it just confuses me even more. I'm not sure if i would be eligible for interpreters? if i was that would save my freakin life though. Soc was SOOO much easier to follow with interps. and it helped improve my signing dramatically. Just having someone to sign with helps.

i know! me too! I'm pushing myself very hard so that I can get in. It is my dream. My mom says "don't pin your hopes on it-be ready to stay in community college." I dont care what she says- i am putting my hope there. Gally is where I want to go.
I will remember that :ty: :)

yeah to be honest i am scared of what the world will sound like. I am used to the way my life is, and i'm not sure I like how everyone keeps telling me the HA will "fix my life". I mean, i have issues in stores and classes and giant family gatherings but it's not like im broken. I just need people to slow down a bit and sometimes repeat. That doesnt seem like it should be so much to ask of ppl.
I am not sure i will wear my HA anywhere except school, medical and stores. I do not think i am broken, and if my friends doesnt like it they dont have to come over. I am who i am right?

:ty::ty: :)

yeah i am worried about that too. everyone says "fix you!" but what if 1) it doesnt help much or 2)i dont like it.
they will expect me to wear the damn thing anyways, and that will cause problems. i'm stubborn, if i dont like it i wont wear it plain and simple.

Everything is changing and it is so confusing. I am happy because I feel liberated, set free.
I am scared because everyone "knows whats best" and is acting like i just found out i have cancer or something.
I keep getting bombarded with memories of growing up, and wondering what my life would have looked like if I'd known sooner.

The best advise I can give you is to stick by your guns. You know what works for you and you know what is best for you. It can be a tough battle sometimes when you feel like the "professionals" are ganging up on you, but you sound like a scrappy one. I believe you are up to the battle. Just remember, those "professionals" have never lived a day in their life as a deaf person. Just keep reminding them that their knowledge is limited to what some hearing aid manufacturer has told them, or what is written in some textbook. You have everyday, real life experience, and that is what is important when deciding accommodations.

Don't worry to much about what "might have been". It will keep you from handling what is the best you can. And stick around AD. It is a great support system for you.

Right on!!! Right on!!!

I noticed you didn't know what a captionist is. A captionist is someone who goes to your classes with you and types what the teacher and students are saying. It's like the captioning on your TV, except it's live (real time) and it is a class instead of a show or movie.

You mentioned interpreters help improve your sign--a captionist types in English (or whatever your country's language is), so keep that in mind. If you do like having an interpreter to help improve your sign, and you think you can follow along fine, then that's another option. Try going to your school's disability services and giving them an audiogram. That's all I had to do. They looked at my audiogram and said "We will DEFINITELY give you services." I know of people with lesser degrees of deafness who have services, too. It doesn't hurt to try.

Someone else explained captioning.

An FM system is basically a little mic and transmitter your prof would wear and the sound is transmitted to your hearing aids so you can hear the prof without the background noise.

I am not sure i will wear my HA anywhere except school, medical and stores.
All I can say is the best idea is to keep an open mind. Start out slow, and see what works for you. Don't listen to the experts who think you should wear it ALL the time. It's YOUR body, and YOUR hearing aid so you have the choice of when and how often to wear it! I think we prolly have a LOT of regular posters here who are part time aid users....JennyB, you wear your aid part time right?

I don't wear mine all the time anymore either..you should decide when its best for YOU to wear it...i mean its good to wear it to get used to it but if u dont feel like it and u just don't wanna listen just take it out ..silence is golden sometimes lol

I don't wear mine all the time anymore either..you should decide when its best for YOU to wear it...i mean its good to wear it to get used to it but if u dont feel like it and u just don't wanna listen just take it out ..silence is golden sometimes lol

You've barely been wearing them around me lately, are you trying to tell me something? :P

lol nooooo baby i love you :D i would never wanna not listen to you..hehehe *laughs evilly* :P

All I can say is the best idea is to keep an open mind. Start out slow, and see what works for you. Don't listen to the experts who think you should wear it ALL the time. It's YOUR body, and YOUR hearing aid so you have the choice of when and how often to wear it! I think we prolly have a LOT of regular posters here who are part time aid users....JennyB, you wear your aid part time right?

Yup. I go through spurts of use. For the last week or so I have consistantly worn one at least. It depends on what I am doing. I never wear them at home.

The best advise I can give you is to stick by your guns. You know what works for you and you know what is best for you. It can be a tough battle sometimes when you feel like the "professionals" are ganging up on you, but you sound like a scrappy one. I believe you are up to the battle. Just remember, those "professionals" have never lived a day in their life as a deaf person. Just keep reminding them that their knowledge is limited to what some hearing aid manufacturer has told them, or what is written in some textbook. You have everyday, real life experience, and that is what is important when deciding accommodations.

Don't worry to much about what "might have been". It will keep you from handling what is the best you can. And stick around AD. It is a great support system for you.

lol i am a scrappy one! :) Ok, i will keep myself in mind when making those decisions. you are right, i have lived my whole life just accepting what other ppl said is best for me. It is time to stand up for myself.
That is true, the past is the past. It's over and there is no use in worrying over what was when there is so much to be now.
I love AD, i have so much support here. I have been thinking of attending some local social gatherings and even went to one at starbucks but got nervous and left before talking to anyone :/ I will try again though. maybe bring a friend. my ASL skills are still very limited (i can understand more than i can say) and i have social anxiety sometimes so i get nervous lol

I noticed you didn't know what a captionist is. A captionist is someone who goes to your classes with you and types what the teacher and students are saying. It's like the captioning on your TV, except it's live (real time) and it is a class instead of a show or movie.

You mentioned interpreters help improve your sign--a captionist types in English (or whatever your country's language is), so keep that in mind. If you do like having an interpreter to help improve your sign, and you think you can follow along fine, then that's another option. Try going to your school's disability services and giving them an audiogram. That's all I had to do. They looked at my audiogram and said "We will DEFINITELY give you services." I know of people with lesser degrees of deafness who have services, too. It doesn't hurt to try.

Someone else explained captioning.

An FM system is basically a little mic and transmitter your prof would wear and the sound is transmitted to your hearing aids so you can hear the prof without the background noise.

oh i think i actually have seen that on a different AD post once. when i was talking about Washington state and how they are audist jerk-heads.
JennyB explained an FM system, and if i cannot get interps i will probably try for that. real-time captioning confuses me :/
I will go to the office and see what i can do. Thank you so much! :)

OK i will :) my friend told me today that when she started wearing hers it was uncomfortable and strange because of bombarded with new sounds. that kind of makes me nervous because i already have problems with that. when i hear something i have to focus my attention on it so that i can understand, and when there are a lot of different sounds it's like im being attacked by inaudible clutter. she said it takes some getting used to, so we shall see. I will take it slow and see what happens :)

Yup. I go through spurts of use. For the last week or so I have consistantly worn one at least. It depends on what I am doing. I never wear them at home.

I really hope i can get used to them at least for classes. i have a 3.5 hr class this summer and usually classes longer than 2 are very draining. So if this helps for the year i'm still at Clark, i would be very happy.

Fingers crossed on your acceptance to Gallaudet :)

I agree, you will know what works for you.

I really hope i can get used to them at least for classes. i have a 3.5 hr class this summer and usually classes longer than 2 are very draining. So if this helps for the year i'm still at Clark, i would be very happy.

3.5 is long for anyone. I use terps and even with terps I can't do more than 2 hours. When all you get is visual information, it can be hard!

K i will my friend told me today that when she started wearing hers it was uncomfortable and strange because of bombarded with new sounds. that kind of makes me nervous because i already have problems with that. when i hear something i have to focus my attention on it so that i can understand, and when there are a lot of different sounds it's like im being attacked by inaudible clutter. she said it takes some getting used to, so we shall see. I will take it slow and see what happens
Oh yes, understandable! You really do have to adjust to the new input.....you haven't heard normally...

Fingers crossed on your acceptance to Gallaudet :)

I agree, you will know what works for you.

Thank You! :) I just got my two references, my ASL teacher and my English 101 teachers. And I put in for my transcripts to be sent last week. I turn in my application after the 28th. I'm so nervous!

3.5 is long for anyone. I use terps and even with terps I can't do more than 2 hours. When all you get is visual information, it can be hard!

I hope i can get interps but probably not. I will go to the disability office when school starts again.

Oh yes, understandable! You really do have to adjust to the new input.....you haven't heard normally...

:ty::wave:

Back