Gun Expert Lott: Let Teachers Carry Arms, Ban Gun-Free Zones to Halt Mass Shootings

Home invasions tend to be fairly newsworthy as do muggings and robberies, especially when a firearm is used by the "victim"
I can see where this might go. Hope not; that topic is no longer allowed to be discussed here. Tired of closed threads...

I'm very familiar with the story (because I posted it in other thread :lol:) and nope that's not it. Again... you might want to check it out again and read what happened very carefully.

BTW - I specifically asked for a CCW holder stopping a massacre. That's not what happened in that case. To refresh your memory

I would gladly concede if you can find me a case where a deranged shooter (armed to the teeth, had delusional political/religious/ideological view) with ill intention to cause massacre was stopped by a CCW holder.

I'm sorry but home invasion doesn't count. we're talking about massacre/mass shooting which you argued that an armed citizen can prevent.... not some mugging or home invasion. MASSACRE/MASS SHOOTING. let's focus on that, shall we?

again - I've stated that I will gladly concede if you can find me such case. please do your best and focus. massacre/mass shooting... not home invasion or robbery or mugging or such small trivial thing, ok?

:lol:

:dunno: Home invasions tend to be fairly newsworthy as do muggings and robberies, especially when a firearm is used by the "victim"

sure. feel free to create a thread about it but this thread is about letting teachers to be armed to stop mass shootings and abolishing gun-free zones.

and I disagree with that ludicrous notion as I have already presented facts and reasonings. and now I'm waiting to hear from other side. Unfortunately.... all I hear is all talk and no strong cases to back it up.

I can't side with this argument either.

A teacher's job is to teach, not to be a security guard, bodyguard, or soldier.
They're already overburdened as it is throughout the day because they must take on the role of a mother, father, role-model, coach, adviser, analyst, actor, coordinator, mediator, secretary, tech support, and writer to be effective at their jobs.
They don't need more responsibilities to do their job better.

Would you ask a doctor, minister, senator, city mayor, baby sitter, or tour guide to act as a bodyguard too? They are leaders of large groups of people as well.

Should they too should be armed in case someone compromises safety at their workplaces when they are busy doing their actual jobs?

They're already overburdened as it is throughout the day because they must take on the role of mother, father, role-model, coach, adviser, analyst, actor, coordinator, mediator, secretary, tech support, and a writer.
They don't need more responsibilities.

Would you ask a doctor, minister, senator, city mayor, baby sitter, or tour guide to act as a bodyguard too? They are leaders of large groups of people as well.

Should they too should be armed in case someone compromises safety at their workplaces when they are busy doing their actual jobs?

I am a teacher and I love you for saying this. No way I am carrying a f***cking gun to my job.

I am a teacher and I love you for saying this. No way I am carrying a f***cking gun to my job.

Yup, I agree with you and the gun isn't part of your job description. :)

They're already overburdened as it is throughout the day because they must take on the role of a mother, father, role-model, coach, adviser, analyst, actor, coordinator, mediator, secretary, tech support, and writer to be effective at their jobs.

Good points...

Everyone is quick to blame teachers for things that go wrong in schools, because the public's basic understanding of school is that the teacher is a boss. Also teachers are an easy target because there is far fewer teachers than there are the number of parents.

I think about this comic whenever I see teachers being blamed or scrutinized for not doing enough, because it's so true...
hTHAw.jpg

The teacher might be the boss in the classroom, but the student is only under the teacher's direct guidance for about 5 hours on average per day, and only for 9 months out of the year.

So.... yeah. I'm don't understand how teachers can be blamed. Teachers are not omnipresent almighty gods. They are good at doing their job (teaching), but it's unfair for them to expect to be capable of everything.

I will not let horrible acts of crime dictate how I behave. I will not go out and buy a firearm because I know there are others who carry them and may someday do me harm. I will not advocate for all teachers, mall workers, postal workers, churches and homeowners to carry a gun and be trained in firearms. I will not fear so much for my children's safety that I advocate putting them in a daily cocoon and instilling in them the belief that hate and sickness and crime lurks around every corner. And I will never swallow the idea that the more people armed = the safer a nation.

exactly. it's like asking a surgeon, priest, counselor, etc. to carry a gun. that defeats the purpose of their careers when their life is spent on helping people and being their guardian.

people demanding to remove gun-free zone from school are completely missing the point. those kind of people most likely pose a concerning danger to society and most likely come off as paranoid and delusional. school is a safe haven and if it was attacked, well it's a tragedy but we will relent and move on again as a community. we will not let it defeat us and change our way of life.

living is harder than killing. that's the whole point of life. that's why strong people forgive and weak people make a vengeful revenge.

I do not like the idea of forcing teachers or staffs to carry a gun. It should be up to them if they want to or not.

I read somewhere at this thread or that thread, Jiro's explanation about the safety is something schools should have. Guns or not. But, I really believe it is the reason of mental illness, family stress, or whatever they believe in World's End 2012. If you see someone considers to harm or kill him/herself, please take her or him seriously. Show them many debunked informations, from NASA or similar science-related websites, on December 2012.

I feel guns control and pro-gun laws are just too much for this month... :(

I'm very familiar with the story (because I posted it in other thread :lol:) and nope that's not it. Again... you might want to check it out again and read what happened very carefully.

BTW - I specifically asked for a CCW holder stopping a massacre. That's not what happened in that case. To refresh your memory

How cute.

exactly. it's like asking a surgeon, priest, counselor, etc. to carry a gun. that defeats the purpose of their careers when their life is spent on helping people and being their guardian.

people demanding to remove gun-free zone from school are completely missing the point. those kind of people most likely pose a concerning danger to society and most likely come off as paranoid and delusional. school is a safe haven and if it was attacked, well it's a tragedy but we will relent and move on again as a community. we will not let it defeat us and change our way of life.

living is harder than killing. that's the whole point of life. that's why strong people forgive and weak people make a vengeful revenge.

Preachers/Priests and Counselors are known for carrying guns. Wouldn't be surprised if surgeons have them in their office as well....although they are usually protected.

Preachers/Priests and Counselors are known for carrying guns. Wouldn't be surprised if surgeons have them in their office as well....although they are usually protected.

yea... in Africa.

But even US Army Chaplain doesn't carry a gun in warzone. just his Bible.

Back