Greetings from Ohio

crusadereduc8r

Reaction score
I am a 24 year old, hearing individual. I have been teaching myself ASL, which has been rough. I do encounter a few deaf individuals when taking the bus, and they are happy to let me practice, and correct me when I don't something correct.

Wondering if there are any other members around the Columbus area? I am interested in making friends who can sign so I can learn better.

There is Ohio State school f/t Deaf in Columbus. Try call them and see if there are ASL classes. Ohio School for the Deaf - HOME

Maybe you can volunteer there ... a great way to learn ASL. I remember there was a hearing guy who volunteered at my alma mater, St. Rita which is in Cincinnati. Good luck.

Hello and hope you find someone in your area!

Greetings from your neighbor state, Indiana! Is it just me or are ASL classes harder to find in the Midwest?

In Ohio they are fairly easy to find, especially here in Columbus; home of the Ohio School for the Deaf.

I'm pretty far from the Indiana School for the Deaf (hour and a half drive each way), and having trouble finding classes here so far. We petitioned our university to start an ASL class but they haven't created it yet.

There are 3 universities within about a 20 minute drive from me that offer ASL classes, 2 of which have ASL specific programs that people can take. There are also multiple places that offer ASL courses to the general public, at least 10 or 12 I can think of.

My girlfriend has decided to take ASL at a local deaf organization because it was cheaper than to do it on college campus. I'm sure you can take ASL class on college campus without paying to take it for credit, but my girlfriend preferred local deaf organization.

Nice to see people wanting to learn ASL.

Back