Greetings from CA :)!

Great to meet you! How is your day today?

Hi! I'm deaf, I go to university in california at Cal Poly, is your picture of skiing? Miss snowboarding a lot!

Great Saul! Thanks for asking. How was your day?

Yes I went snowboarding, kind of crappy because hardly any snow! I'm more of the surfer vibe, I hope you like Cal Poly!

WildHunt, yes I'm currently looking for deaf activities, and I have to manage my time between academics and all that.

you-disappoint-me_o_1022355.jpg

He is only 16 yo and has to do what his parents want. That is being rather harsh .

Awww... whatdidyasay... judging from the picture I don't think it was meant to be too serious.

After all... the grumpy cat does look adorable.

And if my cat said those words to me, I could not take her seriously.
:)

My parents wanted me to strive academically and fear I'd lose my verbal speech. It's rational but irrational because people need social lives.

My parents wanted me to strive academically and fear I'd lose my verbal speech. It's rational but irrational because people need social lives.
That's really sad. You CAN thrive academicly at a Deaf School. At the good ones they teach the same curriculum as at the hearing schools. Also sad that they thought that giving you ASL would cause you to go voice off....
And yeah, I hear you about the social life.....I really do think most hearing parents really do not understand or remember what the social scene is like in high school......I remember I once got told by a VERY nasty member here that even if I'd been hearing, I would have struggled socially?!?!?!
Sorry, but the experiance just seems to be so universal.....It's VERY important for your child to have a social life.... Social skills are vitial for success in career, life etc....You can be super well educated but yet still have issues with getting employment b/c of a lack of social skills. Look at the Asperger's population... they're super smart, but they still have a very low employment rate.
There are many different pieces to the puzzle.

Ah, yes, twice a week, endless hell... Sorry to hear you're struggling socially! I hope things become better for the both of us.

Deafdyke, thank you for all the camps but I don't have that much free time over the summer :)!!!

Well check them out... there may be a few that might be short and a good supplement....Trust me, going to one of them is an amazing experiance that will have your parents going " What the heck happened to our Cam?" when you get back.....

Deafdyke,

It's life, sometimes we got to drill through, I plan to go to a deaf campus for my undergrad.

I'm doing one or two I know for sure, but other than that I will look in and see if there activities at the school fremont

Hey Cam....WELCOME...nice to see another member from California. I have one CI and completely deaf unaided on the other side. Considering getting the other side done. I was hearing my entire life, went deaf overnight due to an illness. Learning ASL very slowly.

Stick around....some amazing people on this site.

Deafdyke,

It's life, sometimes we got to drill through, I plan to go to a deaf campus for my undergrad.

I'm doing one or two I know for sure, but other than that I will look in and see if there activities at the school fremont
YAY! And at least its only about one more year right?
How far away is Fremont from you?

Deafdyke, I'm currently a sophomore, so I got a while. :(

About 1-2 hours, depends on traffic!

I drive slower than your average daily snail
:)

Joking! I thought it was farther away o.O

Deafdyke, I'm currently a sophomore, so I got a while. :(

About 1-2 hours, depends on traffic!

Awww.... that kinda sucks. For some reason I thought you were a junior or a senior. That's a good thing thou, b/c that means that maybe next summer you'll still have a couple of summers to try to do some Deaf stuff.
That way you'll have something to get you through high school. I know it sounds like I'm being all fixtated on this....but it's just that I know how hard mainstream middle/high school is for a dhh kid, both personally and through others. Deaf camp can be a HUGE part of the puzzle to getting through high school, especially if you're the only dhh kid around. I wish Jill (psychologist who specializes in working with dhh kids) was not banned from here.....But believe me, you are not alone with your social struggles.... It is BEYOND common.

Back