Grannies CI Diary

Raykat

Reaction score
Only ten days to go now before I get my head opened up, as if I need that...lol

After 6 months waiting to get accepted and 2 years on the waiting list I am finally to get my CI on 10th March.

Mind you I have been waiting a lot longer than 21/2 years...more like 56 years to be precise. My apologies to those who feel it is their destiny to be Deaf and dont need or want fixing but my outlook has always been that my deafness is simply a medical/physical disability and I would fix it anyway I can.
To each their own I say.

I should have applied for CI years ago but made the mistake of thinking it was just a glorified hearing aid. It is only in the last few years I have met people who are implanted and found it is much much more than simply an amplifying device.

I have been thru all the pre op appointments over the last 2 weeks so now is just a matter of waiting...impatiently....for the big day. Then of course there is the 3 week wait until switchon...what a day that will be. I have been told by other implantees all the things I can look forward to....hearing others breathing, sound of eating, birds in trees, all those everyday sounds that the hearing take for granted. Yes I am expecting it to be overwhelming at first but oh so exciting, I wont be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Then there are my grandaughters, I have been trying to train the 4 yr old to hold her head up so nana can see her lips, so far with limited success. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past or at least much easier. The 8 mths old hasnt got to that stage yet of course so she will never have to worry about nana not hearing her as her father did!!!!

I just wish my parents were still alive to experience all this with me.

I'm looking forward to reading the entries of your diary Raykat! Glad you have sailed through the pre-op appointments and hope that your surgery goes smoothly.

Thank you everyone. Only 7 more sleeps, as the kids say when they are waiting for santa to come.

A woman I met just recently had her first implant 15 years ago and last year it failed, she is having a second op the week after me and because her original op involved shaving half the head and having a huge c shaped scar she has to have the same again............jeez, glad I'm not in for that.

Thank you everyone. Only 7 more sleeps, as the kids say when they are waiting for santa to come.

A woman I met just recently had her first implant 15 years ago and last year it failed, she is having a second op the week after me and because her original op involved shaving half the head and having a huge c shaped scar she has to have the same again............jeez, glad I'm not in for that.

She will definitely notice the difference between the technology from then and now. Starting with the scar, staying (not) in the hospital.

Wondering how she will experience a new CI. Will it "sound" different?
Very likely, different nerves will be stimulated because I'm quite sure the electrodes will not be at the same place.
Guess in time the brain will just adjust to it and it will all sound the same.
Keep us informed about her... and of course you!

congrats on finally getting the approval for your implant.

I hope that all goes well with surgery and the activation.

Well this is it folks, 8.30 pm sunday night here now so in twelve hours time at 8.30 am I will be booking into the hospital.

Thanks for all the well wishers, I'll be baaaacccckkkkkk as Arnei says.

Hoping it all goes well for you tomorrow! It must seem so unreal having been such a long wait for you.

Home again now, and a certified ci-borg. Everything went well, surgeon was happy and I didnt even throw up, which was a first for me.

Lovely new hairdo with 6" scar behind ear. Keep thinking I should put hearing aid on then remember I cant any more. Have got it in left ear right now but cos its not programmed for that ear its not really doing much.

No pain at this stage, just a tight feeling on right side, no giddiness or numbness either so thats good.

Will just blob out for next couple of days, catch up on dvd watching and play the invalid...hehehe

Home again now, and a certified ci-borg. Everything went well, surgeon was happy and I didnt even throw up, which was a first for me.

Lovely new hairdo with 6" scar behind ear. Keep thinking I should put hearing aid on then remember I cant any more. Have got it in left ear right now but cos its not programmed for that ear its not really doing much.

No pain at this stage, just a tight feeling on right side, no giddiness or numbness either so thats good.

Will just blob out for next couple of days, catch up on dvd watching and play the invalid...hehehe

I'm glad you're doing so well and you need all attention you can get as you play the invalid. LOL. I had a bit of numbness and a little pain and slight dizziness. I sure can relate to the hearing aid part.

Glad the surgery went well for you! :)

Glad your surgery went so well! Don't get lulled into a false sense of security because you feel so well on the first few days. Continue to take it easy.

A 6 inch scar is long! I don't think mine was longer than 3 inches. It's interesting how different surgeons have different techniques and approaches.

Do you have an activation date yet?

Glad your surgery went so well! Don't get lulled into a false sense of security because you feel so well on the first few days. Continue to take it easy.

A 6 inch scar is long! I don't think mine was longer than 3 inches. It's interesting how different surgeons have different techniques and approaches.

Do you have an activation date yet?

Yes activation is 31st March, cant wait for that. Taking this week off work but have to hold myself back from running around. Never have been one to sit doing nothing which makes it hard. No pain but head does feel rather heavy. Also sore throat from whatever it was they stuck down there.

I was surprised at how long the scar is too, its tucked in well behind the crease of ear lobe. Actually I've just gone and measured it, only 5" which sounds a bit better. Looks like months of growing to get the hair back to one length tho!!!!

Glad to hear that your surgery went well, and recuperation is uneventful. Look forward to hearing about your experiences with activation and beyond.

Back