Grammar

What she said....

I used to think like you...

Oh how wrong I was and I was happy to be proven wrong.

So did I. In fact, I was a great deal like the OP when I was younger. Never mind the fact that for all my compulsive editing, my grammar isn't perfect nor do I manage to catch all of my errors before I hit the reply button. Let's not get started on my spelling. .. :P

Yeah, sailerboy started off his post with "I know I'm going to get flamed like never before" and when he did get flamed as he expected, he got very insulting. He needs to grow up big time.

Yeah, sailerboy started off his post with "I know I'm going to get flamed like never before" and when he did get flamed as he expected, he got very insulting. He needs to grow up big time.

He appears to be one of the lost souls. I see it all of the times, people are in denial regarding their disabilities and how they are unable to accept it. People always believe that they should work hard to be as normal as possible.

The thing is, why do they have the need to be normal? What is normal? How do we define the word, normal? How do they define the world, normal? In my perceptive, in order to be normal is to be yourself. People need to accept themselves in order to appreciate life more.

People are often raised to think that they are somewhat "special" because they are able to do this and that. Honestly, everyone is special in their ways but not the way they think it is.

He appears to be one of the lost souls. I see it all of the times, people are in denial regarding their disabilities and how they are unable to accept it. People always believe that they should work hard to be as normal as possible.

The thing is, why do they have the need to be normal? What is normal? How do we define the word, normal? How do they define the world, normal? In my perceptive, in order to be normal is to be yourself. People need to accept themselves in order to appreciate life more.

People are often raised to think that they are somewhat "special" because they are able to do this and that. Honestly, everyone is special in their ways but not the way they think it is.

Probably because they have never been around people like us so they think they are special only to find out here that they aren't soooooo special as they would like to believe.

Boy, I did thought I was so special for having such good speech skills but as I got involved with the Deaf community, I met sooo many others with severe profound deafness who have great speech skills as well. :lol:

Funny, I noticed some young hearing people and older don't type the way grammar was supposed to make the sentences so that it will be understandable. They kind of chop up the words and use like shorthand to make us understand what they are talking about. If they can talk in complete sentences with the teachers and other students clearly. But on the computer writing, they type differently than speaking. :dunno:

That is what make me puzzled about that. :confused: So that might make us along with the hearing people not type good grammars. :lol: I do make mistakes on my grammar a lot but I have been trying to do better with grammar. Grammar was and still is never easy to learn how to write complete sentences in the proper way. That is hard. I do feel that English is the most difficult language in the world. :hmm:

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. Hearing people don't always use correct English or sentence structure. I'm one such person because I have learning disabilities that hamper my ability to use grammar correctly. I simply do the best I can.

Sailerboy, listen to these people. They know what they're talking about. Their anger toward you is very justified!

Holy moly. I saw at least 5 errors in supposedly-perfect-grammar-boy's post.

And WE get called out for poor grammar? Even when we're deaf from birth? Yowza. Somebody needs a chill pill.

I've got several. Want me to slip him one? :giggle:

It makes me wonder if because of CIs, we will have a new generation of deaf people with "holier than thou attitudes" towards the Deaf people? Ughhh!

It makes me wonder if because of CIs, we will have a new generation of deaf people with "holier than thou attitudes" towards the Deaf people? Ughhh!

Oh boy. I remember my childhood best friend that I had known since my nursery school days. She would brag that her oral skills and lipreading skills were better than those of us who just signed. I remember her telling the clerk at the grocery store that I had lost my lipreading skills because I signed. :pissed: My mother said to me that she could not understand her speech.

I have not seen her in many years but my BF told me that she's quite annoying because of her attiude.

Shel, why does the puffed up, teenage button-pushing of a hearing aid user like sailerboy make you wonder if CIs are to blame for it? Why not just blame cell phones or toaster ovens for an individual's misbehavior while you are at it, or some other unrelated technology -- makes about the same amount of sense.

Shel, why does the puffed up, teenage button-pushing of a hearing aid user like sailerboy make you wonder if CIs are to blame for it? Why not just blame cell phones or toaster ovens for an individual's misbehavior while you are at it, or some other unrelated technology -- makes about the same amount of sense.

Because I am seeing a lot of it...more and more babies are getting CIs so more and more oralism will be pushed on those babies and more and more of these attitudes.

Just sayin' from what I have been seeing recently out there in real life. It is the medical viewpoint behind the CIs that brings out that attitude. Not yours but many others...

"I have a CI so I hear better than you."

" I have a CI so I am normal and you are not."

many more that I am starting to witness. It is like a reminder of my old audist attitudes about being an oral deafie towards the signing deafies. Believe me, it is out there only that CIs are being used to put down those who dont have one.

Because I am seeing a lot of it...more and more babies are getting CIs so more and more oralism will be pushed on those babies and more and more of these attitudes.

Just sayin' from what I have been seeing recently out there in real life. It is the medical viewpoint behind the CIs that brings out that attitude. Not yours but many others...

"I have a CI so I hear better than you."

" I have a CI so I am normal and you are not."

many more that I am starting to witness. It is like a reminder of my old audist attitudes about being an oral deafie towards the signing deafies. Believe me, it is out there only that CIs are being used to put down those who dont have one.
Exactly.

BTW, my ex-best friend does't have a CI. She's a product of the oral philosophy that tells her if she does not use sign but only lipread and speak she is better than those ASL users. If she were able to benefit from CIs, I don't even want to think about her attiude toward ASL deaf.

I know a good number of deaf individuals who were raised orally, and some of them grew up to resent their parents. Some do get along with their parents, but a good number of them are estranged and they cannot talk to them about anything without starting a big argument. In fact, their parents often denied that their children were deaf or hard of hearing, and that they truly believed that ASL would do a great deal of harm to one's language development.

In the end, it was not the oral education that they resented, it was the attitude that they resented. The attitude itself did a large amount of damages upon the deaf community and the individuals' self esteem.

I can think of a few parents, especially mothers who gave their children an unhealthy dose of pep talk about how lucky they are to be better off than the children who sign. Later in life, they end up having an eye-opening experience and realize that everything they thought they knew was in fact, wrong. Their reality was shattered in a big way.

I still know a few people who are able to sign, yet they refuse to sign because they feel they shouldn't have to sink to such a lowly language.

Exactly.

BTW, my ex-best friend does't have a CI. She's a product of the oral philosophy that tells her if she does not use sign but only lipread and speak she is better than those ASL users. If she were able to benefit from CIs, I don't even want to think about her attiude toward ASL deaf.

Right, so people like GrendalQ (to GrendalQ...maybe you already know so this is based on an assumption) and others need to understand that AllDeaf is NOT a full representive of what is really happening out there. The OP's orginial post is just a perfect example of what I have seen for the past few years lately with deaf people who want to fit into the Deaf community but makes these kinds of comments about Deaf people and then they get mad about not being able to fit in the Deaf community by saying that they were rejected. Well....I say, "look at yourself in the mirror." I dont need to say more but it does make me wonder if the new generation will use their CIs as a reason to put down others just like in my generation when we used our good speech skills to put down Deaf people (BIG BIG BIG mistake on my part!).

I know a good number of deaf individuals who were raised orally, and some of them grew up to resent their parents. Some do get along with their parents, but a good number of them are estranged and they cannot talk to them about anything without starting a big argument. In fact, their parents often denied that their children were deaf or hard of hearing, and that they truly believed that ASL would do a great deal of harm to one's language development.

In the end, it was not the oral education that they resented, it was the attitude that they resented. The attitude itself did a large amount of damages upon the deaf community and the individuals' self esteem.

I can think of a few parents, especially mothers who gave their children an unhealthy dose of pep talk about how lucky they are to be better off than the children who sign. Later in life, they end up having an eye-opening experience and realize that everything they thought they knew was in fact, wrong. Their reality was shattered in a big way.

I still know a few people who are able to sign, yet they refuse to sign because they feel they shouldn't have to sink to such a lowly language.

I know someone with this experience as well. It's sad that the default for many hearing parents of deaf children is to go oral only. Like Shel said above, the medical establishment is to blame. If deafness wasn't so medicalized, a lot of these attitudes might just melt away.

I know someone with this experience as well. It's sad that the default for many hearing parents of deaf children is to go oral only. Like Shel said above, the medical establishment is to blame. If deafness wasn't so medicalized, a lot of these attitudes might just melt away.

It's not even the worst part. You see, there is a behavioral problem that can and does develop out of this type of parenting style. Dominant parents. They often do a great deal of damage to a child's self-esteem and its perceptive on life. They develop a habit of interfering with everything in a child's life and even into its adulthood. Education, relationships, careers, lifestyles, friendships, marriages, financial matters, you name it, they try to dominate everything in a child's life. As a result, they are practicing conditional love instead of unconditional love.

It's a frightening thing to witness and yes, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. :(

It's not even the worst part. You see, there is a behavioral problem that can and does develop out of this type of parenting style. Dominant parents. They often do a great deal of damage to a child's self-esteem and its perceptive on life. They develop a habit of interfering with everything in a child's life and even into its adulthood. Education, relationships, careers, lifestyles, friendships, marriages, financial matters, you name it, they try to dominate everything in a child's life. As a result, they are practicing conditional love instead of unconditional love.

It's a frightening thing to witness and yes, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. :(

I agree. I've had to deal with stuff like this for most of my life. A lot of the time, I want nothing to do with this person in my life.

Ummm....seen that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooo many times.

Back