got my new hearing aid today...

willowbaby85

Reaction score
it is an oticon tego, its a neat lil thing, there is i push button instead of a switch, and there is a mute finction(helpfull when ppl have screaming babies on the bus) the part i dont like about it is that the baterie door has to be open to shut it off, but it is digital, and is supposed to be more higher powered then my last one. another thing is that it is blue, so it matches my mold, i kinda wish they had of asked me about that part first becuse i am thinking abt getting a pink mold next time, but for now it is fine, they are ordering another tego for me but a stronger one, the tego power as this one is still not quite strong enough for me, well thats all the news for now.

ttyl

willow
DreamCat-Willow-slj.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! I hope it the Tego Power works for you!

I haven't seen an aid in years that can be turned off with the battery door closed!

Is this your first digital aid?

Jenny - from what I read on the Phonak website, you have to open the battery door to turn off the Naida, and close it to turn it on... is that right or did I just misread? haha.

Hope things go well with the new hearing aid for you Willow! :)

this is my 3rd digital aid, i have never had an analog one, the first 2 i had had an on off switch, this one just has a push button to switch between the finctions, i fond this new one picks up the tv better then any aid i have had, tho it seems to compramise normal speach recoginition, but hopefully when i get the power one it well be better, they are ordering it now. and then i just have to go and have them switched.

Jenny - from what I read on the Phonak website, you have to open the battery door to turn off the Naida, and close it to turn it on... is that right or did I just misread? haha.

Yeah, you read it correctly! What I said was that that is the only way I have seen to turn off an aid! That it was normal hehe, sorry if I wasn't clear :giggle:

how did you make out with your new aid jenny?

I heard my audiologist speak! It was all mumbly but I heard the sound of her voice! More than I was hoping for! I still need to speech read though.

There was a problem with the left aid though so I don't get them until Friday! :(

I am looking forward to trying them outside of my audies office though, sigh, only 4 more days.

I also had impressions for new earmolds done today too, I don't know if I am going to be getting soft or hard ones though. I hope soft, but I am allergic to my current soft ones so they will only be soft if there is a more hypo-allergenic material to make them out of. My audie doesn't remember what my current ones are.

Anyway that is how my new aids are! I will be able to say more on Friday, hopefully!

my audi was mumbly and muffeled to, tho im starting to get used to it, hopefully the power one well give me clearer speach understanding

weird! All of my hearing aids have had an on/off switch, so to have to open the battery door to turn off the Naida... that'll take some getting used to. I'm sure I'll be feeling for the switch before realizing "duh, battery door!".

Shane, fax my mom the price info already!

That is so strange! I have never seen an on/off switch on an aid before! I work lots of DHH kids too so I have seen a fair amount of hearing aids and it has always been opening the battery door to turn them on and off! Wierd hahaha

Every single one of my previous hearing aids have had on/off switches... weird. With the Claro and current Supero, the on/off switch is also a button you push to change programs too, which I thought was neat. I was hoping the Naida would have something similar but it doesn't, but that's ok! That's what remotes are for, switching programmings.

Every single one of my previous hearing aids have had on/off switches... weird. With the Claro and current Supero, the on/off switch is also a button you push to change programs too, which I thought was neat. I was hoping the Naida would have something similar but it doesn't, but that's ok! That's what remotes are for, switching programmings.

The Naida does have a button to change programs. It also has volume control. I didn't get the remote, I wouldn't use it anyway! Hopefully I get them tomorrow! AH! The suspense is killing me!

I heard my audiologist speak! It was all mumbly but I heard the sound of her voice! More than I was hoping for! I still need to speech read though.

There was a problem with the left aid though so I don't get them until Friday! :(

I am looking forward to trying them outside of my audies office though, sigh, only 4 more days.

I also had impressions for new earmolds done today too, I don't know if I am going to be getting soft or hard ones though. I hope soft, but I am allergic to my current soft ones so they will only be soft if there is a more hypo-allergenic material to make them out of. My audie doesn't remember what my current ones are.

Anyway that is how my new aids are! I will be able to say more on Friday, hopefully!

That's how it is for me with my HAs....I can hear voices..can tell if it is a child, man or woman. I can tell if the voice is high or low and blah blah..just cant hear speech which is why I still need to speechread. Without my HA, I cant speechread at all unless the person exagerrates their lip movements. With my HAs, I feel that my speechreading skills improve a lot. It is funny to think about that cuz there is so much talk about how HAs are no good for so many people enabling them to get CIs. I guess people with CIs dont need to speeach read? :dunno2:

I guess people with CIs dont need to speeach read? :dunno2:

I guess that is a question???? I do speech read in noise situations, but I don't have to use it as often as before. I am at the point if someone calls for me from behind, I can pick up the gender and what they are saying. It is not just noisy or loud like a hearing aid, but it is clearer and less stress.

With digital hearing aids you have to have them adjusted often to get the right sound you want, am I correct? I tried them for a trial, but it did not benefit me.

That's how it is for me with my HAs....I can hear voices..can tell if it is a child, man or woman. I can tell if the voice is high or low and blah blah..just cant hear speech which is why I still need to speechread. Without my HA, I cant speechread at all unless the person exagerrates their lip movements. With my HAs, I feel that my speechreading skills improve a lot. It is funny to think about that cuz there is so much talk about how HAs are no good for so many people enabling them to get CIs. I guess people with CIs dont need to speeach read? :dunno2:

I can't speechread without my CI at all either even with exaggerated mouth movement I'd might understand if you repeat it 100 times :lol:
Also same with vallee, is that question or assumption?
Because its not true, CI people do still need to speechread, I'm the shining example lol. Because sometimes they need to connect lip movement with sounds to feel more confident they did heard that right because if I turn around and someone said something I think I heard they said this but not sure so I look and said what and sometimes it was what I thought sometimes not. Plus we grew up using it so its very hard to get rid of or realize we don't need it as much often as we did, like with CC I can't turn it off because I want the comfort of knowing things I heard was right or wrong and still know what's going on in tv if way wrong lol.

I am a very good speech reader, I am fine without my aids but they do help a lot. I am hoping they will help me in school. I am in a mainstream highschool, no EA, no interpreter. Nothing. Sometimes I can convince my teachers to do circle seating for discussions. It's HARD! I think I may catch about 25% of the class on a good day when it is just the teacher talking. They like to talk to the board, and walk around and stuff. I remind them constantly but it is frustrating! I am hoping having aids/my FM will help me out there. Other than that and large group discussion I am can get very close to 100% by speech reading, with no sound input.

I have a phonak digital aid and have to open the battery door to turn off. I am pretty sure all their aids are the same way.

Adam

No Adam, not all of Phonak's hearing aids are like that. I've had Phonak analogs and 2 digitals (Claro and Supero), and they all have had on/off switches, and I have a friend who had a Phonak programmable hearing aid and it had an on/off switch too. Definitely will take me some getting used to, having a hearing aid with no on/off switch.

As for speech reading, PFT. If I have my hearing aid on and I can hear what the person is saying, then I can lipread. But if I'm DEAF, no hearing aid, I only catch maybe 1 or 2 words and they're the unimportant words. I need the auditory support to lipread, and I need the visual support to hear/understand what is said.

Back