Got a question.

zainobee

Reaction score
Does anyone have trouble while in group discussions? Or like class participation? I am a hoh person and I went to school and college with hearing people. Hanging out with people sucked because it was hard to understand what everyone was saying at the same time. I have never met another deaf or hoh person so I never knew how to deal with it properly. This past week I attended my first staff monthly meeting at the place where I work as an intern. It sucked because everyone was talking at the same time and then I also couldn't understand or hear people who were sitting in the far corner of the room. After the meeting, I asked my supervisor and the other intern to tell me all the main points that were talked about during the meeting. Thats the only thing I can do. Anyway, how does anyone deal with it? Any other ideas to help me out?

Dealt with it for years!...It sucks, and Im deaf, not HOH...so being the only deafie in the company...at first, I asked a good friend to make notes on the important issues for me...Later on, especially if she was not there...and we had a company meeting....I explained to my Boss how I felt about it...and asked him to please Post It on the bulletin board...all the minutes of the meeting....And he did!...It was a benefit to everyone, as there would not be any misunderstanding...

You got be firm but nice have you got human resources employed at your place if so have chat tell them the problems they should be of help

I did the same as RR... I'd ask for emails following the meetings to hit the highlights of the meetings. Sometimes whoever ran the meeting did send it to all the participants so it benefited everybody.

For me I have used an FM system in the past with a "Conference Mate" container for the transmitter. It works very well in smaller groups- somewhat ok in bigger conference rooms (yup actually tried it lol). It's not 100% because I still missed anyone who were the furthest away, had very low or soft voices, and of course the usual 'speech discrimination' on my part (not being able to actually understand what the word(s) were). Meaning- if someone said something like "The next step we need to do in this project is to test the Halverson website and collect results" for example I may still miss many pieces of that- probably would completely miss Halverson and maybe not quite catch many of the words.

It's tough being HOH to be honest (especially when your degree of loss is profound way down somewhere around 100-110ish level lol.

Best case scenario is an interpreter- but with IT I've found it's near impossible to have the Company hire one for most meetings because they are always scheduled on very short notice (less than 2 weeks) and have a tendency to be either canceled or moved around time wise (another day or even another time during the same day).

In many cases, the person leading the meeting has an "Executive Assistant" (read that as Secretary). You could ask that there be someone assigned to take minutes of the meeting...or...you could record the meeting with a digital recorder and then have the recording transcribed. The recorded method is hard because the transcriber may not be able to tell who said what. If there is someone taking minutes of the meeting who knows everyone, then that person can attribute comments to the correct person.

There is a difference between a casual business chat session, and a more formal meeting. Your employer should be very happy to have minutes taken at a formal meeting (it good business practice). In casual situations, it may work out if you just tell everyone, "Hey... one at a time so I can follow." Are you co-workers aware of your hearing condition? Are they likely to be helpful in speaking one-at-a-time?

I think what say and rr good advice but in my case we talk to human resources who you hope explain to others your problems and things can be put in place note taker

That what most of us, Deafies, would love is to have ASL interpreters at the business meetings. The boss (president of the company) should be aware of your deafness and you need accommodations to understand what everyone is talking about. It look like your company is not deaf-friendly place when you really need help with group or meetings.

Like Caz said you could get notetaker like the secretary to write down what they all talk about. Maybe you can try talking with the supervisor or higher than your supervisor.

You need accommodations but if your company refuse to accommodate you, the company are not worth working for if you don't understand what everyone is saying.

I agree with the others. I am hard of hearing and use an FM-system when possible and ask for minutes of meeting to be sent through e-mail. I have also informed my colleagues about my hearing loss, and explained what I can hear and what I cannot. For example, I have asked them not to talk at the same time. They need reminders, and it not always possible to be included, but generally it works ok. Asking someone to summarize things you miss is also a good idea.

The main issue is the social aspect. I cannot follow conversations at lunch or coffee time, so it is hard to get to know my colleagues. I maybe hear that they are discussing vacation plans or having sick children, but I have no idea who is going where on vacation or who is worried about their kids.

Not being able to follow group conversations is really common among HoH, so I strongly suggest getting to know others in the same situation. It really makes things easier if you have someone to exchange strategies with. And don't pressure yourself too much to hear in difficult listening situations, because you will quickly get exhausted. Get help with notes when possible, so that you have energy left for the actual work. Don't be afraid to ask people to adjust to you and to ask for accomondations if it means you can do a better job.

it not malice it just people not thinking most of the time

Back