GOOD NEWS! Easy Incoming RELAY calls on Sidekick, Hiptop and BlackBerry!

>>"I'm usually logged into AIM, but if I am logged in but have an away message up and am not there, will it just go to the answering machine feature becuase I didn't answer?"

Yes, I believe so. Not 100% confirmed though.

Okay, thanks, I might have someone call me when I'm there with an away message up, not answering, so I can see for sure. Don't want to be missing calls or anything!

yep i got a message from my mom recent it worked really well and helped me i had a away message on was taking a nap saw i had a message and i LIKEDDDDDDD that! So yah, its only for my family members who needs to leave messages right away...

i like this better! every time i go travel, mom can leave the msg if need me something!!!! ofc my mom has pager but if forget leave pgr at home so she can call me.. no plms.. so i can wait for email 7 to 10 days.. :)

that sounds great to be able to
receive incoming calls... BUT,
that is for receive calls NOT for
placing outgoing calls... (Sigh....)

Look at Number 3 in their Terms of Use:
http://www.ip-relay.com/myiprelaynumber/number_terms.html
"User may not use the My IP Relay Number to make outgoing calls"

I think this would be wonderful if we can
use My IP Relay Number for BOTH
receiving and outgoing calls either ways....

WTF???????
I used an outgoing call one time i was in a rush and it worked fine???????? ehhh but i set up a new ip wireless on mine for family calls only as im in no mood to have them scream in my ear trying to get my understanding.... So now i use that for outgoing and recive any incoming calls on my message in any events of emergencies

Outgoing calls works fine. That's because it is made through AIM chat, rather than through the phone number.

But same net result: You're able to make outgoing calls through "My IP Relay" AIM Chat just fine. It's just that your number won't show up on call-display.

http://www.ip-relay.com/index.htm
It says "send and receive voice relay calls."

Thanks I understand u mean both ways...

I just got myself registered with
the new phone number after the
verification

I just made an outgoing call
to my Mom and gave her
my new phone number so that way
she can call or catch me anytime....

She tried to call me back immediately to test
but nothing works. She got many rings,
but I was not able to see anything
nothing... She said there was no answer....
and then she gave up trying to reach me.

Sorry, I guess this seem to be not working at all...

Wonder if anyone was able to receive
incoming calls thru this IP Relay ?

deaflibrarian said:
I'd like to hear from Canadians if they are able to use this sort of technology (i.e., Blackberry, Sidekick, etc.) in Canada, especially with VCO calls.

The original poster, Mark Rejhon, is a Deaf Canadian.

Steve

Ah... Indeed know about where he coming from.. but steve already open his breath away where he coming from...

Let's see... I'll find it out w/pager and to see if I'm interested.. I'd rather seek for UNLIMTED doesn't want any pay each 5cent per call.. Find really quite Ridcouisly!

To deaflibrarian: Canadian Wireless Relay is a Long Way Away

Mark and I have been engaged in some email discussion of that very problem (Canadian wireless relay, and the appalling lack thereof) for some time now. I was using Hamilton Relay after I initially got the device (Bell Blackberry 6750 - $350 worth of plastic at $60 a month to me right now), thinking it was in Hamilton, Ontario. Well, the short version of the long story is, I opened my big fat yap to their customer service department, and got blocked, so now I can't send or receive calls through the relay, even though they're being really nice about it, and keeping my contact information handy so they will contact me whenever the US government decides to let Canadians use the service.

<bitter>Yeah, and I'm still waiting to make an offer on that bridge they're willing to sell me, too. </bitter>

Anyway, Mark pointed me to this forum, suggesting the MCIRelay might be a loophole I could use, but definitely not for me...let's just say, *my* friends and family (all hearing people naturally)? Not gonna call a long-distance number to reach me on a cellphone via a relay operator. It just will not happen, trust me. The relay operator is bad enough (Hey, I don't care what they think of it, it works for me, so they'll just have to suck it up, right?), but to make them call long-distance on top of it all? Mmmm, no. They would not consider that a viable alternative *at* *all*. But thanks to Mark, for still thinking of me. :)

What I have learned, however, subsequent to purchasing the Bell device, is that Rogers' Blackberry apparently connects just fine with Bell Relay Service, no problems. Uh-huh. I initially purchased a Blackberry through Rogers, but returned it the next day because I couldn't connect to the Bell Relay Service, and nobody at Rogers could tell me how. Finally, the exasperated clerk suggested I try Bell, since it was their relay service I was trying to connect to in the first place, right?

Right. So I switched to Bell, and ended up saving $200 on the same device. Bully for me, right? Wrong. Bell Relay Service and Bell Canada are, shall we say, not on speaking terms, to such point, that Bell Canada representatives have absolutely no idea what the Bell Relay Service even *is*, let alone how to access it with a wireless device. (Oh yes, I have had *grand* fun with Bell's customer service, these past three months.)

So, I got from another source, that there's an unpublicized wireless relay operating out of Winnipeg. After I ferreted out their name and contact info (I was told they were owned by Bell's competition and that's why they weren't advertised), I learned from them that they're the ones who actually provide the Bell Relay Service.

However (wait for it), they "don't provide Blackberry-specific relay services at this time". Whether they ever will or not, I'm still waiting to hear back on. (They never sent me a response to the reply I sent to that email.)

Anyway. That's the situation as it stands of now. I've got two years and nine-odd months left on a contract with Bell, and then I can switch to Rogers. If anybody at Rogers can even tell me how to connect with Bell Relay Service in the first place, that is. Not to mention the fact that I returned the device less than 24 hours later, and they sent me a bill for $70 worth of usage. (Needless to say, the charges were all but reversed, down to $12.08.) So, let's just say I'm not so happy with Rogers as a solution provider, either.

Additionally, the Canadian Association for the Deaf has recently "opened a discussion" (Translation: bureaucrat-speak for going nowhere fast.), with Rogers Canada, re: providing a discount on cellphones and the like to deaf, Deaf, hard-of-hearing, deafened, late-deafened (Ah, hell, pick one! Whichever you prefer.) users who have no need of the voice features, but want to use the text messaging services. I haven't received any further word than that, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, that's for sure.

(Suffice it to say that Canadian charities move slower than an object stuck in the event horizon of a black hole, when it comes to gaining access to viable solutions, for use in the real world. If you need the government to pay for an eight-year degree in Advanced Knitting and Needlework Techniques, however, they will bow, kiss your feet, and throw scads of money at you. But I digress, and am likely preaching to the choir anyway, right dl?)

Anyway. If you really really really really have to use the relay service with your Blackberry/wireless device, your last resort (according to the Technical Devices department of the Canadian Hearing Society) is purchasing a TTY and hooking it up to the thing, whereupon it will work just fine with Bell Relay Service. (I know, I know, it's not something I'm looking forward to, either, but I just might have to bite the bullet and do it.) Which means you're dealing with two keyboards, trying to keep both devices on your lap (good luck keeping them both in your hands, unless you're built like a linebacker), and connected, and typing on the TTY, when there's a perfectly usable keyboard on the mobile device. The upside to this is, if you're located in Ontario (like I am), the Assistive Devices Program will pay for a TTY for you, regardless of your employment status or income level. Ontario is unfortunately the only province with such a program (AFAIK), however.

Sorry, it's not much info, but I hope it helps!

WHoH

It is true I have been talking to her... however, I must make a correction:

>>What I have learned, however, subsequent to purchasing the Bell device, is that Rogers' Blackberry apparently connects just fine with Bell Relay Service, no problems. Uh-huh. I initially purchased a Blackberry through Rogers, but returned it the next day because I couldn't connect to the Bell Relay Service, and nobody at Rogers could tell me how. Finally, the exasperated clerk suggested I try Bell, since it was their relay service I was trying to connect to in the first place, right?

No BlackBerry works with Bell Relay out-of-the-box.

Both Bell Mobility BlackBerry and Rogers BlackBerry will work with Bell Relay as long as you invent some software (like I did) that makes it all work properly.

The problem that Velvet Delorey refers to is that there needs to be a feature called "MDS" (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) for Bell Mobility BlackBerry, which costs an additional amount of money, while Rogers Blackberry does not require the "MDS" feature.

However, the bottom line is none of the BlackBerries work with Bell Relay out of the box.

However, BOTH BlackBerries can be programmed to work with it; with some software development skill (like mine).

It's just that it's more expensive to get a Bell Mobility BlackBerry working with Bell Canada Relay, than getting Rogers BlackBerry working with it. This is where the misunderstanding comes from.

I am a Rogers BlackBerry user who have developed a creative solution for getting it to work with Bell Canada Relay Service.

Late Correction/Retraction

Sorry, long day at work, brain all futzed up. What I meant to say about the Rogers BB working out of the box with BRS, was what I was told, by the entirely-too-enthusiastic Rogers salespeople.

My bad. So sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding!! :o

WHoH

Here is the software that I invented for my own personal use. I am probably the only person in Canada who has the luxury of this system in Canada.

Features Of My Universal Wireless Server-Based TDD Software:
- Designed to work with BELL CANADA RELAY SERVICE, but can be modified to any relay service.
- TRULY Device-Independent
- REALTIME KEYPRESS AT A TIME. No hitting Enter. No AOL/AIM/WAP.
- No delays, just as fast as a REAL TDD.
- Works on most wireless devices (BlackBerry, PocketPC, PalmPilot, TREO, J2ME, HipTop, Sidekick);
- Works on computers too (Laptops, PC);
- Transfer phone calls from one device to another seamlessly;
- Color coded text for my typing versus relay operator;
- Adjustable font size for laptop; BIG PRINT MODE;

minitdd_blackberry_1.jpg

minitdd_blackberry_2.jpg

minitdd_laptop.jpg

minitdd_pocketpc_1.jpg

minitdd_pocketpc_2.jpg

minitdd_pocketpc_3.jpg

minitdd_pocketpc_4.jpg

(Please note: The hardware isn't my invention. Only the server-based TDD software is.)

Mark R,

Impressive your work as well!

I'd like to know how much cost is it each different pager... please.?
I'm from St Thomas, Ont..

Thx you!

Not possible yet. I'm still the only guy. I need a grant from the Canadian Government, a business partnership, a licensing deal, or similiar, to help me commercialize this system in Canada. If anybody can help me, please email me back at minitdd@marky.com ...

It's not a pager-specific service. It's a device-indepent service that works on almost any handheld computer and desktop computer.

It has even replaced my TDD -- because I also use it on my desktop computer as my primary TDD too. BIG PRINT mode in COLOR for desktops too!

It's a Universal Wireless AND Desktop TDD/Relay system!

minitdd_desktop.jpg

Back