Going up ... and the next floor is outer space (Space Elevator)

Royale

Reaction score
Going up ... and the next floor is outer space

I think it can be more than just a service elevator to the International Space Station and I foresee it will lead to one of space tourism methods where the tourists can go up to see bright stars and view our beautiful planet.

To describe it bluntly it's a very strong and tall tower that should extend into or near Low Earth Orbit. It would likely use a counter-weight of sorts, such as an asteroid to provide gravity going outwards somehow and they would force the payload up it somehow instead of using innefficient fuel launches. Right now it's still in design and the materials needed to build it don't exist yet. Etc. the cable that it would presumably need would need to be at least 180 times stronger than steel.

Space Elevator sounds....kinda weird. I don't see any of those in Star Wars or Star Trek. I know we can have technology like that if we work our asses off for that. Call me crazy, but I know anything can be possible except not sure about hyperdrive thing.

To describe it bluntly it's a very strong and tall tower that should extend into or near Low Earth Orbit. It would likely use a counter-weight of sorts, such as an asteroid to provide gravity going outwards somehow and they would force the payload up it somehow instead of using innefficient fuel launches. Right now it's still in design and the materials needed to build it don't exist yet. Etc. the cable that it would presumably need would need to be at least 180 times stronger than steel.

thanks for the description, mockingbird.

They'd extend way beyond that to geosynchronous orbit. The counterweight would be beyond geosynchronous orbit above the connection point on the surface.

The top would be traveling faster than the bottom as the Earth rotates due to the top being at a greater distance from the Earth's center and going around in the same time as the bottom. So as the climber go up, they'd be moving onto cable that's going slightly faster than the climbers, so the climber would slow down that section of the cable, causing the elevator to tilt backwards from the direction of the planet's rotation, transferring momentum from the Earth's rotation to the climber. Once the climber is at the top, it'd be moving sidewards fast enough for it and its cargo and riders to stay in geosynchronous orbit.

The opposite happens when the climber goes down. It keeps moving onto cable that's going a little slower than it is, imparting momentum back to Earth.

Space elevator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Space_elevator_balance_of_forces.png

The counterweight could be made by increasing the length of the elevator past geosynchronous orbit, allowing the climber to go further up, where it'd

Someday we could also have space elevators on Mars and the Moon. Those don't have as much gravity, so the synchronous orbits there are lower, so it'd not have to be as long. For the Moon, we could make one from the Moon to the L1 point between Earth and the Moon. The material needed for a lunar one would not need to be as strong so they think we could make one now.

Lunar space elevator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original article has figures of 300 British pounds to lift one pound of stuff with an elevator and 14000 for rockets. So I figured that it'd take only $100,000 to get me into space on an elevator when a rocket would need $4.5 million dollars.

Space Elevator sounds....kinda weird. I don't see any of those in Star Wars or Star Trek. I know we can have technology like that if we work our asses off for that. Call me crazy, but I know anything can be possible except not sure about hyperdrive thing.

The space elevator was actually shown in one of Star Trek Voyager episodes.

This is actually an idea that's been in the works for many years and could have a number of different uses. Besides the possibility of tourism, some of the more important/beneficial uses are to bring supplies and resources up to the ISS or future projects such as a 'shipyard' where we can build the ship for the first manned Mars mission, or further exploration. The main reason being, at a shipyard in orbit we could build a much bigger ship that provides more space for it's inhabitants and supplies, and not have to worry about launching from the earth into orbit which requires huge amounts of fuel. Right now, the space shuttle is launched into space on top of a huge fuel tank (and 2 smaller ones attached to that) with rockets on it's bottom, and then all those tanks and rockets are just dropped back to earth and the shuttle does it's thing. If launching a ship that is built in space already, we wouldn't need all that extra fuel or fuel tanks and rockets, to get it up there. We also wouldn't need to worry so much about aerodynamics and heat shielding, so the ship that is used to take our astronauts to wherever they're going can more easily be designed for artificial gravity and space recreation and laboratories and storing equipment. When the astronauts return, they can more easily and safely dock at the space station or dock, and ride the elevator back down with any samples they bring back. Then, inspecting the ship, and refueling for it's next flight is much easier and safer.

If you've seen the movies 2001 or 2010, or even the more recent movie Mission to Mars, those are how I would expect our ships to look if they're launched after already being built in space.

The space elevator is a great idea that I'm hoping we have the technology to begin work on in my lifetime.

P.S.- To expand on Royale stating that it was in Star Trek Voyager episode, it was an episode that Nelix 'saved the day' because he had an idea how to fix the elevator thanks to having done work with them in the past.

Back