Going into IT

ChocolateMILK

Reaction score
If there is anybody out there who is in the IT business, whether its from security, networking, programming, or even web page building, can you give me some advice?

The most widely given advice I have received thus far is to 'network with other people'.

Right now, I am just starting out. I am taking Intro to Java, Intro to XHTML/HTML, and finally system analyst and design.

So do you have any advice? Any would be appreciated!

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

I am currently taking classes in college, getting associate degree in network administration in IT field. I am hoping to get diploma and then get CCENT Certification from Cisco. What IT field are you actually looking for

Wirelessly posted

I am currently taking classes in college, getting associate degree in network administration in IT field. I am hoping to get diploma and then get CCENT Certification from Cisco. What IT field are you actually looking for

I'm going into programming. It's pretty hard already. lol

Ha.

I am one of the IT majors.

You have to learn many different parts. Like:

Programming
- Quick Basic Programming
- Visual Basic Programming
- C++ (both Data structures and Object-oriented)
- Java
- HTML and Dynamic HTML (CSS, JavaScript)
- PHP
- SQL and PL/SQL

Networking and PCs
- Networking Basics
- PC Configuration
- Windows Admin
- Web Servers and ASP
- Linux Admin (ugh!)
- Firewalls
- Network Security
- Computer Forensics
- System Development
- Electricity and Electronics

Wirelessly posted

MDCodeRedFreak said:
Ha.

I am one of the IT majors.

You have to learn many different parts. Like:

Programming
- Quick Basic Programming
- Visual Basic Programming
- C++ (both Data structures and Object-oriented)
- Java
- HTML and Dynamic HTML (CSS, JavaScript)
- PHP
- SQL and PL/SQL

Networking and PCs
- Networking Basics
- PC Configuration
- Windows Admin
- Web Servers and ASP
- Linux Admin (ugh!)
- Firewalls
- Network Security
- Computer Forensics
- System Development
- Electricity and Electronics

Yes, the networking part I was working on it in my college. Right now, working on Linux administration. Last month, I just finished Windows Server 2008.

I have a BS in Information Technology & Administrative Management. Too much of that degree was stuff that will probably be of no use to me professionally. I'm mainly interested in web development.

I have a BS in Information Technology & Administrative Management. Too much of that degree was stuff that will probably be of no use to me professionally. I'm mainly interested in web development.

Is bullshit IT? :shock:

Wirelessly posted

It is nice to see somebody in deaf community who are in IT field. Now, I feel not alone out there :)

Wirelessly posted

It is nice to see somebody in deaf community who are in IT field. Now, I feel not alone out there :)

Yup, I'm one of them too and currently IT student at college.

Wirelessly posted

Foxrac said:
Wirelessly posted

Yup, I'm one of them too and currently IT student at college.

which college are you taking i am taking classes at Ramussen College.

Wirelessly posted

Foxrac said:
Wirelessly posted

which college are you taking i am taking classes at Ramussen College.

Jeff State Community College.

oh, that is like local college. Are you taking courses on campus or online q I take classes online, never been to college campus.

Harper college for IT in 2001. Yes, it was long time ago. I lost interesting about IT job after many years. I changed my major to auto technician and I love it so much!

Wirelessly posted

oh, that is like local college. Are you taking courses on campus or online q I take classes online, never been to college campus.

I'm taking courses on campus with ASL interpreters.

IT be gone

During the great recession IT people seemed to have been hit pretty hard. Especially since it is simple to outsource everything to india. Of course if you are really good at some part of IT like doing programing or data base then you should be safe.
If I were starting out I would be an auto tech. A lot easier getting a job like that than IT. Seems college students get into either IT or business.
Our country will be a heck of a lot different than when I started out. This great recession we are still mired in has shown the weakness of the job market

Back