Girlfriend is deaf! Wondering how I can be the best possible boyfriend.

oncogenes

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am a hearing guy who just started dating this really amazing girl. She's smart, talented, caring, basically anything a rational guy would want in someone he could see himself being serious with. On a side note, she's also deaf--which by the way I think is really attractive (it shows that she is strong and can overcome difficulty, plus I've always wanted to learn ASL :D)!

I really want this thing to last a long time, and since you guys are the leading experts on the subject, I decided to come here! I would love any suggestions or tips you guys might give me on how to be a good partner as well as a good friend for her. I'm sure there are many things that I need to know, so any help at all would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time and responses! :D:D:D:D

-Will

Learn to talk slowly (not like in your post :)), and none from both of you will get nervous...

Just be yourself, treat her like you would anyone else regardless if she is hearing or not. Don't expect her to teach you ASL, if you want to learn it take a class. If you don't know ASL already, you will have to be creative on how to communicate with each other. A fun way to do that is a white board with color markers or just a pen and paper.

Good luck!!!!

Ask her. On the precedence that the relationship is mutual and as you spend time with her, going places together where she frequents, if you genuinely do care, and she is not just a novelty to you.....then you will figure it out soon enough.

Deaf people all over the world have vehicles with turbocharged engine. Maybe you should get one to win her over. After all, vehicles with turbocharged engine are the best thing EVER!!!

By asking here and doing research you are already on the way.

Sent from my LGLS885 using AllDeaf App mobile app

You seem nice bloke just be yourself keep it real

Hi! I'm hearing and my fiancé is Deaf so I know exactly the position you're in. At the beginning, I didn't know ANY sign at all, so I brought my laptop on our first date and we typed back and forth. I had questions I had thought up on the notes in my phone, so I was ready to ask them right then and there, no awkward pauses or blanking on what to say next!

I suggest learning sign (whichever method she prefers, my fiancé likes PSE the best) and check out sign language and Deaf culture books from your library. Ask her questions about her experience as a Deaf person. It shows you want to know more about her and her culture.

Be patient! The communication barrier may be frustrating at times, but you must keep yourself calm and work through it.

Don't try to make her hearing.

Really pay attention and listen to her.

That's all I got for the moment. Have fun!

Back