Girl Suspended From School For Double Fish Tail Comb

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Girl Suspended From School For Double Fish Tail Comb

A girl was suspended from a Dayton school after she brought a double fish tail comb to school.

School officials called it a dangerous weapon , and even though its not listed as a banned item in the code of conduct book, officials are upholding their decision.

Mary Thomas said her daughter Taylor was suspended unfairly for having a double fish tail comb.

She was suspended from Wilbur Wright Middle School for five days even though the student code of conduct book doesn't ban the double fish tail comb . It specifically bans the rat tail comb only.

In fact, Thomas said there are lots of combs that are not banned that could be considered dangerous.

Thomas said combs are not dangerous; people who use them as weapons are.

But school officials said the principal made known what kinds of combs were not acceptable.

And he said although the rattail comb is specifically mentioned in the conduct book, the double fish tail comb, as well as others, can technically fall under other language listed in the book.

Not only does Thomas want the suspension revoked, but she wants any mention of it removed from Taylor's school records.

Dayton School officials said they are sticking by their decision and the suspension stands.

WHIOTV.com - News - Girl Suspended From School For Double Fish Tail Comb

For those who are wondering what a Double Fish Tail Comb looks like - Here's the link - Double Fish Tail Comb

for a Comb Thats So bs unless she was swing it around and threning people but come on it just a hunk of plastic.

... okay, I can see how it can be used as a weapon.

Though I think it's ridiculous how they've turned all schools into Fort Knox. They have to trust the students, or they'll feel like prisoners and criminals their whole life. It can't be healthy if the students are forced to submit to these rules.

It's ridiculous.

even a dinner knife could cut one's throat, how's it about banning that?

Yes, it is ridiculous but that is nothing new under the sun. The pendulum has swung toward ban first and ask questions later which is akin to shoot first and ask later.

I don't think it is fair to treat students like they are prisoners. I am concerned about turnin' all schools into somethin' else like an army or boot camp in the near future. I am plannin' to get a book that's about school and what they teach children/teens. I will find out more about what's behind the gov't's door through a book.

I think it's all ridiculous about that comb and other things. I think that's silly ! :roll:

I don't think it is fair to treat students like they are prisoners. I am concerned about turnin' all schools into somethin' else like an army or boot camp in the near future. I am plannin' to get a book that's about school and what they teach children/teens. I will find out more about what's behind the gov't's door through a book.

I think it's all ridiculous about that comb and other things. I think that's silly ! :roll:

Students below collage levle have allways ben prisnors some people are just now realilizing it.

Students below collage levle have allways ben prisnors some people are just now realilizing it.

Even students at college level are prisoners. I attended University of Central Arkansas a public college yet I was told I could not wear a little button that said "fuck war". My professor claimed it was a disruption to her class, even though she was the only person in my entire time spent at that university that ever made a mention of it.

It's understandable that this type of comb could be considered a dangerous weapon/tool--although, I really don't agree with the suspension, afterall, if school personnel thought it was a dangerous item, all they could do is simply ask the person in possession of it to turn it over, since this sort of item wasn't listed as a banned item...surely, she would then have faced a more peaceable solution by voluntarily turning the item over...and not have to deal with a suspension whatsoever...and perhaps being ridiculed or mocked by her peers for this. If she wasn't willing to give it up or turn it over, then certain actions could be given, but a suspension? C'mon....

~RR

'Zero Tolerance" is one of the most reckless rules I've ever came across. The reason why I'm against the concept of 'Zero Tolerance" is because of cases like this. The innocents shouldn't be a target.

Looks like a salad fork to me. The reasons why Zero Tolerance is innated as a rule can be argued because there's so many -- the main reasons are kids bringing guns to school or knives because they feel bullied or are just, excuse me when I say this but... screwed up mentally and need help. Parents are scared to let their kids go to school nowadays and are taking them into homeschool (don't quote me on this, but it's a logical assumption.)

It feels like to me nobody has any morals anymore and is letting america unravel, the people who care and are doing things are outnumbered by the people who do know it's turning bad but don't want to accept responsiblity and help try to change it for better. It doesn't help with what's on the media nowadays either -- Remember cartoons from the 80s and 90's? Look at them now, Boondocks, Drawn together, Aqua teen hunger force and plenty more that are politically incorrect. I frankly don't know who to blame anymore, it's like a HUGE landslide of crap coming down off a mountain where everyone gets pulled in.

Sure, some kids know how to handle screwed up cartoons just like how some people can handle whiskey. Some can't. I wonder if any of you guys have bright ideas how to stop violence in school and how to detect who needs help but won't seek it out on their own.

The basic problem I have these types of rules is that you can practically use *anything* as a weapon if you want to try hard enough. It's the intent they should be focusing on, not which objects for pete's sake!

Sometimes, I'm truly annoyed by the screwed up mentality of administrations. Their always spouting "Let's form a committee to deliberate on this!" whenever nobody wants to have spine and take sensible stands on important issues. That's how things like this keep turning into such silly arsed witch hunts.

And FSM*, do I ever dislike this whole "Your either with us or against us!" 'ttitude which I see getting expressed nearly everywhere nowadays. The world isn't B&W. I wish people would just deal with it and be done with it.

*- Yes, I did say "Flying Spagetti Monster" there! (Though, I *still think* he needs some red sauce on 'em- but I'm Italian, and what else would you expect from me?)

...since when did a student EVER used a comb as a weapon?

That was just so retarded. :roll:

Back