Getting upgrade for CI_ Ontario

Hear

Reaction score
I have Nucleus 24, since Sept 2000. I am considering to upgrade to System 5, however, the cost of around $8000 is too much for me, and cannot afford.

Will OHIP pay for the upgrade?

Any idea is appreciated.

Replacement vs Upgrade

http://www.search.gov.on.ca/FSS/ProcessSearch.do?

click on the 1st one in the search and I believe ADP (assistive devices program) will help you pay for a replacement processor..but call or email or something to dbl check with your CI audi

AliciaM,

Thank you for the link, and certainly i will check and contact them. However, if i remember, the ADP will pay for it, only if the old one is broken, but not for upgrading.

I recently having gone through the Ontario ADP programme last August. This is what happened.

I got a complete Advanced Bionics-Harmony "external" kit. ADP approved $5444 while I paid $3206. One company quoted $3206 and another one $3906. Both here in Toronto.I chose the lower price for the same thing.

OHIP covers one for 3 years then it is your responsibility what type of insurance you want. ADP does cover as I noted above. I have no knowledge if the system has changed since last August.

Implanted Sunnybrook AB Harmony activated Aug/07

I recently having gone through the Ontario ADP programme last August. This is what happened.

I got a complete Advanced Bionics-Harmony "external" kit. ADP approved $5444 while I paid $3206. One company quoted $3206 and another one $3906. Both here in Toronto.I chose the lower price for the same thing.

OHIP covers one for 3 years then it is your responsibility what type of insurance you want. ADP does cover as I noted above. I have no knowledge if the system has changed since last August.

Implanted Sunnybrook AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Thank you drPhil for the info.
I have not done any upgrade since the initial implant in 2000. The original external processor is still working fine.

Did your old processor worked fine when went for the upgrade? Or was it broke?

I am just not sure if the ADP will pay for the upgrade, if the old one is working fine.

I will discuss it my audiologist in a couple of weeks, and hope the ADP will pay for their share of 75%.

Kind regards

It's a technology thing tho as well..if it warrants that the technology will help you hear better they will let you use the ADP upgrade. I have used ADP for 3 of my upgrades because of my progressive loss and they have always warranted it even though my hearing aids were not broken

Thank you AlicaM. Now that makes sense, and i will defiantly ask that ADP cover their share.

Hear: the "old processor" was repaired 2 1/2 years ago. I still am using it, right now. Thus I have a new one:wave: as a spare. It is not an upgrade as you are considering. Your audi will have to tell exactly how ADP will "handle" your request. I have not direct info on this.

Good luck

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Back