Getting hearing aids

fishycracker

Reaction score
I have hearing loss in my left ear and it's lately been causing more and more issues functioning in the hearing world. I have considered hearing aids but I always thought they'd be a pain and cause ear pain because of my genetic disorder (which makes my nerves more sensitive and has caused significant issues with my left ear). But I have been thinking about it more and more, because it'd be much easier to function. My question to people who have gotten hearing aids as adults: how long did it take to get used to the aids? My ears are very sensitive, for example, I can't wear earrings all day. I usually take them out when I get home from school because my ears hurt. And that area on my head is sensitive is well. I'm careful brushing my hair and doing anything that involves touching that area because it'll hurt. If you have something similar, was wearing the aid uncomfortable? Did it make your ears sore? Thanks so much to anyone who responds, it's greatly appreciated.

Hey there from Port Orchard Washington. I do not have hearing loss, but my daughter does. She plays the piano, and wants to be a doctor someday (an MD of sorts). When she lost her hearing, it was devastating.

She too, has very small and sensitive ears/ear canals. She has had to take quite a while getting used to having something stuck in her ear all day. Especially since she needs it for school. However, after wearing a hearing aid now for a couple months, she is finally at the point where she can wear it most of the day, and only takes it out when she gets home, and doesn't need it.

All I can say is, everyone is different. Whether child or adult, it will always take some time to get used to wearing something on your ear all day. You may be surprised. What you think right now may be a potential nightmare, may end up being something you adapt to quickly, and learn to accept to a point where you wonder how you ever went without. You'll never know until you try.

When you wear hearing aids, the idea is to wear them as long as you can...and the faster you'll get comfortable with them. I'm not saying wear them while you sleep or bathe, just wear them as often as possible during the day and evening. People who get hearing aids for the first time make the mistake of putting them on for a few hours (if that), take them out, put them back on for a few hours, and complain that they're just not comfortable. Well, you have to give them a go and actually wear them long enough, to get to that point. Keep notes of any discomforts or sounds you experience so you can show it to your audiologist to make the necessary adjustments as needed. The audiologist can make changes to the mold itself if need be so keep track of everything you notice while wearing them. You'll find that hearing aids greatly enrich your life.

Laura

Hello, I've been wearing hearing aids for less than a year now. Like anything, they take time to get used to then. My advice is after getting your aids to do something to distract your self, so you don't pay attention to them. I get so busy sometimes I'll stop and check to see if I have them on!

Thanks everyone! I may consider getting them now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back