Getting a videophone

signcrazy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Billy and i'm hard-of-hearing, but grew up as a hearing person. I speak and use hearing aids. I've started learning ASL since I took it in high school and fell in love with the language. I plan to become an interpreter. Many Deaf people are telling me to get VP, but should I since I can talk on the phone. What is your opinion? Thank you

You plan to become an interpreter. That means you are not deaf so you can't get a VP which is for deaf people only as per FCC.

Well, ok because this one Deaf person told me it didn't matter weather I spoke or used the phone.

Can you hear that well to interpret without looking or reading their lips?

We can't stop you so you can go ahead and apply for it to see if you are eligible or not. Good luck!

You're the only one who truly knows what you need. If you can use a phone, I highly suspect you don't need a VP. Don't listen to your friend telling you that you need VP. Act on it if a normal phone doesn't work for you.

I cannot remember if you had to have a certain amount of hearing loss to be eligible for VP.

For example, they may not let you get VP if you had a 30 dB hearing loss, but would let you get one if you had 60 dB hearing loss.

It was easy for me to get VP.

I would suggest that the next time Deaf Expo comes to your area to check out VP option. They would give you the best answer.

Well, I downloaded it from purple and they only asked weather you were Deaf or hard-of-hearing and I was able to download P3 onto my computer for free.

Back