Get a job

tirunahari

Reaction score
Hi,

Hi all is it possible to earn and get a job if you are deaf or hard of hearing?I am Hard of Hearing and I am into Information Technology / Java/ J2ee

With Regards
Mary

Hi,

Hi all is it possible to earn and get a job if you are deaf or hard of hearing?I am Hard of Hearing and I am into Information Technology / Java/ J2ee

With Regards
Mary

OOOO JAVA, have you create anything that can be viewed for your jobs?

It's best to have a portfolio if you wanna be a java scripter.

sure it is. i know alot of d/Deaf and hard of hearing people who are employed (especially in the IT field). do you have a vocational counselor who can help you create a resume and look for employment?

sure. I'm a full-time HOH webmaster for university and also used to work for Bristol-Myers Squibb. you'll be fine. just make sure you've got solid skills to prove.

hi All,

Thanks for your encouragement........

I have a few questions...

I have my resume ready....But can anyone give me the name of the job sites which take disabilities into account so that i can post my resume on their job site..

Is it ok if i tell them that i am Hard of hearing or mention it in my resume....
Will this make the employers shy away from empoying me.

Ant advice is helpful as i have started with my job search and keeping my fingers crossed.

With Regards
Mary

hi All,

I have my resume ready....But can anyone give me the name of the job sites which take disabilities into account so that i can post my resume on their job site..

Is it ok if i tell them that i am Hard of hearing or mention it in my resume....

Ant advice is helpful as i have started with my job search and keeping my fingers crossed.

With Regards
Mary

Resume is a good start.

But you must have a portfolio. I swear if you do have one, you'll land a job. I can tell you where to post and what to say. :)

hi All,

With Regards
Mary

I only put relevant info in resume - contact info, portfolio, skills, etc... and then I submit it. When I hear back from them for interview - I notify them of my HOH status. Most of time - they said sure no problem. A few of them didn't reply back - that's how you know you should not work for them.

Hey, I am dead Deaf, and I have job within IT field so, is it possible for you to land a job within IT dept? You can bet on it. I also know plenty of Deafies work within IT dept.

i'm totally deafblind and yet i had a job last year (which i unfortunately had to quit due to school taking priority).

i would encourage the OP to mention her hoh status *during* the interview -- not before or in her resume. this is what i did for my field placement (only in my case i explained that i was totally deafblind) and it worked great. my interviewer wasn't caught off guard and was able to ask relevant questions about how my disabilities could be accommodated.

Back