Ga. Law Could Give Death Penalty for Miscarriages

ugh... this thread again?

there are some women who intentionally caused miscarriage and Franklin wanted to punish them. however - the bill is worded in a vague way to the point where you can be criminally-charged for having an abortion even though it is legal on federal level.

Any trauma can bring on a miscarriage and this does not mean the mother cause the miscarriage. This law could send innocent women to jail!
Franklin is should more time trying to keep rapist off the street and this may cut down on women trying to have miscarriage !

My mother had a miscarriage! I heard of a girl grandmother having 5 miscarriages before she could have baby! And the granddaughter had 2
miscarriages , she felt so guilty of for not being able to carry her baby. This bill need to be DOA ! The guy that want to pass this insane bill should be locked in a psycho unit!

Miscarriages happen. The problem isn't that women have miscarriages. The problem is this guy is trying to craft a law to criminalize them. You can't do that without it affecting women who miscarry naturally. As I said above, very FEW people intentionally try to bring on a miscarriage. The ones that do shouldn't be penalized for it, but need support. There are usually reasons for doing something that rash and by criminalizing the act, it just adds insult to injury.

I really think this is a way to criminalize abortion in a backhanded way, but it won't fly. Federal law makes abortion legal in this country. Federal law always, always trumps state law. This bill is dead.

Okay, I wonder, did anybody actually read that link yet? Just wonder.

I just did. It says "prenatal murder". That doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage, though. This brings to mind domestic violence situations, where a guy kills his pregnant wife/girlfriend.

That sounds good, but, I don't think it will fly, either. That's where you get into the viablity issue of the fetus, which is dicey since laws don't recognize the fetus as being a person until it's born. Before birth, the fetus is solely dependent on it's Mother for survival. In order for this to go forward, you'd have to declare the fetus a person and that is a tough sell. Once again, we're back to Federal vs State laws. A federal law will always come before a state law.

Miscarriages happen. The problem isn't that women have miscarriages. The problem is this guy is trying to craft a law to criminalize them. You can't do that without it affecting women who miscarry naturally. As I said above, very FEW people intentionally try to bring on a miscarriage. The ones that do shouldn't be penalized for it, but need support. There are usually reasons for doing something that rash and by criminalizing the act, it just adds insult to injury.

I really think this is a way to criminalize abortion in a backhanded way, but it won't fly. Federal law makes abortion legal in this country. Federal law always, always trumps state law. This bill is dead.

I agree women can miscarriage for a number of reasons and does not made a mother guilty of killing her baby! Some women have a hard time carrying a baby full term and that does NOT made them guilty of a crime! Yes it is a way to try and criminalize abortion in a backhanded way and the law need to be DOA!!

I agree women can miscarriage for a number of reasons and does not made a mother guilty of killing her baby! Some women have a hard time carrying a baby full term and that does NOT made them guilty of a crime! Yes it is a way to try and criminalize abortion in a backhanded way and the law need to be DOA!!

Um, hon.. Chill. The bill won't go anywhere.

FEDERAL law has made abortion LEGAL. States can do what they want to some extent, but this won't fly. Women won't stand for it. The worst case scenerio is that it makes it to the Georgia Supreme Ct and they gut the bill.

It's A BILL; not a law. We need to pay attention here, but that's all. Getting freaky about an extreme bill isn't necessary.

I think it's DOA anyway. Fortunately for us, most people are not like this nutcase who thought up this bill.

I think it's DOA anyway. Fortunately for us, most people are not like this nutcase who thought up this bill.

It is. I'd be more upset if more states were trying this, but most people know this won't fly; even the most ardent right to life person realizes what will/won't pass. Its the extremist that will try anything.

Miscarriages are almost always involuntary. There are a FEW women who will try to interrupt a pregnancy purposely. However, you can't craft a bill such as this without trapping the majority of women who INVOLUNTARILY miscarry. That's just wrong.

It looks like the stupid fairy paid a visit to this guy.... TWICE...or he's just an arrogant asshole who wants to pander to the Right to Life people!

Actually, the term for a miscarraige is spontaneous abortion. With some of the fanaticism I have seen from the pro-lifer side, it does not surprise me at all that they would push for anything that includes the word "abortion" to be covered under law that would create penalties.

Actually, the term for a miscarraige is spontaneous abortion. With some of the fanaticism I have seen from the pro-lifer side, it does not surprise me at all that they would push for anything that includes the word "abortion" to be covered under law that would create penalties.
Extremist have extreme ideas. Rarely do those ideas become public policy. When you are so far over to one side, you gotta convince 99% of the people to accept.

I actually WAS suprised, but you are quite right.

Extremist have extreme ideas. Rarely do those ideas become public policy. When you are so far over to one side, you gotta convince 99% of the people to accept.

This is true most of the time, but there have been cases in history where fanatism became a rule. Hitler was one such example. He wooed the people and we know what happened once he came to power. If you are charismatic and know what to say to people, you can convince them of almost anything.

But, I would say that you are generally right.

This is true most of the time, but there have been cases in history where fanatism became a rule. Hitler was one such example. He wooed the people and we know what happened once he came to power. If you are charismatic and know what to say to people, you can convince them of almost anything.

But, I would say that you are generally right.
"Rev" Jim Jones. Charles Manson. Marshall Applewhite. There are others. Hitler had an army and the SS. Once he gained their support, he forced his way over the people. If there is another Hitler, abortion is one of the least of our worries.

Hope and Change comes to mind.....

Back