Frustrations on VPs and DSL issues.

jhb1608

Reaction score
Hello. I have hard time with the videophones I tried. I tried VP-200 for years, but it seems keep lagging a lot, even my DSL is maxed out. And called and found out they messed it up and they keep fixing, it was fine few weeks ago and now it happens again >_>. I had tried many products and I don't feel happy with Purple, and ZVRS. So I decide to consider to get a D-link i2eye anyways. because I am tired of technical difficulties with VP-200 and other products, and yes I called Customer Service many times and it is not helping. It disconnects when I use it for an hour or often less than 30 minutes or shorter. :|. I tried Z340 from ZVRS, it was beautiful until they explain more on number porting and i send it back to them :|.

So is it is a better idea to get a D-Link i2eye? I know I have to ask everyone to give me the IP addresses to call people, instead of the VP phone numbers...

Edit: My ISP is Frontier, by the way. 3MB, and 384kbs upload.

Last edited:
I think you will find it more frustrating to get the ip address from folks who you want to call to since not many know how to find thier ip address and also not all video phone can make h323 calls sucessfully.

i2eye would be a "downgrade" over the newer video phone hardware since camera/processor on newer video phone hardware is so much faster and better than i2eye.

If you are losing connection every hour or 30 minutes it likely you have a static or a high level noise in your DSL line.

I would check every phone jack in your house make sure you have filter on it.

And if you have DirectTV or Dish Network then check the phone line on those to be sure there filter on it. Even check the phone in garage if you have one in there.

Also, if you try to make VRS calls with i2eye, they will not proceed with the call since there is no local number. I tried it with Purple, ZVRS and Sorenson, all said the same thing.

Your problem there is your 384kbps upload. You need more bandwidth.

Even with 256kbps video (which isn't as good as 384kbps), there is still an audio channel and other signalling overhead. If you were to do _anything_ else while on a borderline bandwidth saturated call, you would see it lag your video stream (which is what you are experiencing). The disconnects you experience are also very likely caused by a similar problem, though they could be caused by random interference on your unloaded DSL copper pair.

Sorenson doesn't transmit or receive an audio channel, so you save that bandwidth.
Z products use H.264 which provides a better de-blocked picture with a 20% bandwidth savings.

I'm not sure if ANY phone will really make you happy without more bandwidth and a more solid broadband connection for a good video session.

Yes, DSL filters are brand new and everything is new. And even exchanged the modem, no help. Guess it is the relay box thing is too far to me. I guess I'll have to move back to the city just to get cable internet which i hate. And we have DirecTV and it is not connect to the phone >_>. So it is mainly the DSL's DNS servers and such.

I tried decreasing to 192kb in VP-200, it works fine, but eh. I need to learn how to keep my mouth shut :P.

I also tried DMZ on and it works but i tried port fowarding and it is slower than DMZ even i put the right port info.

But thanks for your explaination on i2eye's VRS thing.

Also, i forgot ot mention, we have 2 separate lines of DSL modems, my bf have a DSL modem too, so we use separate lines, is that probly the reason why it won't work well?

Also, if you try to make VRS calls with i2eye, they will not proceed with the call since there is no local number. I tried it with Purple, ZVRS and Sorenson, all said the same thing.

FCC rules say must have local number for vp before make vrs call
so dlink i2eye are outdated rick is right

Hello. I have hard time with the videophones I tried. I tried VP-200 for years, but it seems keep lagging a lot, even my DSL is maxed out. And called and found out they messed it up and they keep fixing, it was fine few weeks ago and now it happens again >_>. I had tried many products and I don't feel happy with Purple, and ZVRS. So I decide to consider to get a D-link i2eye anyways. because I am tired of technical difficulties with VP-200 and other products, and yes I called Customer Service many times and it is not helping. It disconnects when I use it for an hour or often less than 30 minutes or shorter. :|. I tried Z340 from ZVRS, it was beautiful until they explain more on number porting and i send it back to them :|.

So is it is a better idea to get a D-Link i2eye? I know I have to ask everyone to give me the IP addresses to call people, instead of the VP phone numbers...

Edit: My ISP is Frontier, by the way. 3MB, and 384kbs upload.

go ahead try dlink i2eye to see

me suggest take your vp200 to different location like friend house 50 or 100 miles away and try their internet to rule out your DSL problem

try dsl modem at MPOE as the only connection to rule out house wirings

That's ok. I was just curious anyways on dlink part. And explain more on MPOE. I live in the trailer. My current router's setting is now portfowarded instead of DMZ, DMZ is slow, but i try it out and noticed portfowarding is slow than dmz, and i use to dmz it and it is fast. which is odd so i guess I'm stuck with DMZ :P.

Edit: DMZ is better. I was just trying out and i notice DMZ is faster than portfowarding. Maybe Skype, Yahoo, and AIM is better with DSL than VP-200 anyways lol.

Last edited:
oh i noticed you ask me on the friend's house, I know someone who have same connection, it is the ISP's DNS servers mainly. And i asked my local friend and the servers are like 5 miles away and it is probly why it is why it won't work because I'm too far to their servers :). I'd move out anyways because PA is the only state I can able to afford things.

I had Verizon DSL for long time. We had no problem with VP and DSL. 3 years ago, we ordered upgrade FIOS.

If, you choice cheapest DSL. It will not great for VP. We have no idea how much speed on your internet.

Back