Frustrated with AB's external hardware...

Franz K

Reaction score
Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted. I got the Hi-Res about a year ago, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't been one of those miracle-hear people but it's improved my hearing ability dramatically.

However, I'm just about fed up with AB's external products at this point. Every single component has broken at least once. I've had a processor replaced because the body was chipping. A headpiece replaced because the wire broke. Both of my T-mics have broken... and this is the worst, because they aren't covered under the warranty plan. (That's $150 a pop, and my audi tells me they break down on lots of people.)

For those of you who wonder if I'm hard on my hardware, I've had my left ear HA for seven years without a single problem.

While AB's website talks triumphantly about their rechargeable batteries lasting four years, what they don't say is that they lose 20-25% of their capacity per year (which means I can expect my Powercell Slims to get about 7-8 hours to a charge after next year... or pretty much a two full day supply.). One of my batteries is already down to 9-10 hours, and my audi tells me these duds are common as well. Batteries are another thing the warranty doesn't cover-- and these are $100 a pop. While insurance potentially covers this stuff, I still have a pretty high deductible, and let's face it, the insurance situation in this country is a mess.

But what's bugging me the most is AB's absolute incompetence so far in developing some sort of non-proprietary battery pack. I'm dependent on pretty much a three-day supply of rechargeables, soon to be two. If there's an emergency, or I'm out backpacking, or I'm traveling abroad, and I don't have access to power, well then, tough luck. And this is a big deal for me, since I like to backpack and I'm going abroad for a year, to an earthquake prone region.

There's a battery pack in clinical trials right now, but the trials keep getting pushed back. AB came out with a battery pack a few years ago, but it was recalled due to a risk of getting burned when the battery was put in wrong. Now, a battery pack is some pretty simple tech. They've been doing it with headphones since the '80s. You'd think the tech wizards at AB could get something this simple right. This product should be coming out sooner rather than later, and I'll feel a lot better when it does. I can buy a 4-pack of rechargeables at the store for $5, and all AB users should have that option.

When I got my implant a year ago, I was told that a battery pack would be coming out in a few months. Sure, you can blame the FDA's snail-like process, but for those of you considering AB, keep in mind these kinds of difficulties.

It's not like you can choose a different processor or product. If my external processor was exchangeable like my HA, I would've returned it in favor of a different product by now.

It stinks that you have been having so many problems with hardware on your AB, and that a lot of it isn't covered under warranty. I dread my daughter having to deal with this when she is older and off our insurance! It's so stupid that something that is medically necessary in order to use your implant is something you have to jump through hoops to get, and that's if your insurance covers anything hearing related in the first place.

We've been very lucky with all her AB equipment (she's been implanted since 2001). She started with the BWP and graduated to the Auria after that, and we only had one frayed headpiece cable in all that time (and that was under warranty). She now has a Harmony due to a unconfirmed implant failure last year and we've had no equipment problems so far.

As far as that battery pack goes, I would continue to pester them about it if it was me, lol. I'd also ask about the possibility of getting in on the clinical trials, and then maybe you can get ahold of it earlier. I don't know where they get the guinea pigs for the clinical trials, but maybe there is some way you can get in on that. Just a thought!

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted. I got the Hi-Res about a year ago, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't been one of those miracle-hear people but it's improved my hearing ability dramatically.

However, I'm just about fed up with AB's external products at this point. Every single component has broken at least once. I've had a processor replaced because the body was chipping. A headpiece replaced because the wire broke. Both of my T-mics have broken... and this is the worst, because they aren't covered under the warranty plan. (That's $150 a pop, and my audi tells me they break down on lots of people.)

For those of you who wonder if I'm hard on my hardware, I've had my left ear HA for seven years without a single problem.

While AB's website talks triumphantly about their rechargeable batteries lasting four years, what they don't say is that they lose 20-25% of their capacity per year (which means I can expect my Powercell Slims to get about 7-8 hours to a charge after next year... or pretty much a two full day supply.). One of my batteries is already down to 9-10 hours, and my audi tells me these duds are common as well. Batteries are another thing the warranty doesn't cover-- and these are $100 a pop. While insurance potentially covers this stuff, I still have a pretty high deductible, and let's face it, the insurance situation in this country is a mess.

But what's bugging me the most is AB's absolute incompetence so far in developing some sort of non-proprietary battery pack. I'm dependent on pretty much a three-day supply of rechargeables, soon to be two. If there's an emergency, or I'm out backpacking, or I'm traveling abroad, and I don't have access to power, well then, tough luck. And this is a big deal for me, since I like to backpack and I'm going abroad for a year, to an earthquake prone region.

There's a battery pack in clinical trials right now, but the trials keep getting pushed back. AB came out with a battery pack a few years ago, but it was recalled due to a risk of getting burned when the battery was put in wrong. Now, a battery pack is some pretty simple tech. They've been doing it with headphones since the '80s. You'd think the tech wizards at AB could get something this simple right. This product should be coming out sooner rather than later, and I'll feel a lot better when it does. I can buy a 4-pack of rechargeables at the store for $5, and all AB users should have that option.

When I got my implant a year ago, I was told that a battery pack would be coming out in a few months. Sure, you can blame the FDA's snail-like process, but for those of you considering AB, keep in mind these kinds of difficulties.

It's not like you can choose a different processor or product. If my external processor was exchangeable like my HA, I would've returned it in favor of a different product by now.

As has been shown by the FDA lawsuit against AB, their primary concern is not benefit to the CI user, but the profit margin of their company. Sad, isn't it?

I haven't had nearly as many problems with my processor (Harmony) as you seem to have had, but I agree - build quality on some parts is lacking, and the interface could be much improved. (Build quality on the iConnect in particular ... it feels so flimsy, at least on the battery door.)

I will say, though, that reduced capacity on the batteries is not AB's fault. That's what happens with rechargable batteries; the chemical processes involved give the battery a finite lifespan, and the usage profile (viz., draining the battery until it's dead or nearly so on a regular basis) is not one that is particularly conducive to a long battery life. I have the same problem with my wheelchair; the batteries need to be replaced about every year.

Sorry you are having problems with AB hardware. I was told the t-mic is now covered for up to a year. It should have been covered. You might want to call AB about that.

I have the same problem with the battery. It last around 7-9 hours. I like the 12 hour battery best because of weight. I just carry my other set of 12 hour batteries and change at the end of the day. My audie let me know this would happen when I was fitted. I have four sets of batteries, 2 set 12 hour battery and 2 sets of 24 hour batteries.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Do you have a power hungry map? The time they say the batteries will last is an average, and some maps take a lot more power to run than others.

We weren't able to use the powercel slims at all for my daughter with the Harmony because she'd have to change them during the day. Only the powercel plus has the power to get her through the day without having to change it. The next person though, could get through a whole day with a slim and not have to change it.

I would bring it up with the audi and ask if there is anything he can do with your map to lower it's power consumption, if it turns out it uses a lot...

Franz K WOW !!! I can imagine your frustrations for sure...

And complain, holler, write letters, and make phone calls . Pester AB till they get it right. With all the money that is spent on CI devices, the things should be destructution proof !!! I wasn't too keen about the t mic myself when I first saw it. AB have just recently announced the t mic will be covered probably to ease all of the complaints the wearers are making. hmm guinea pigs.. wonder what they use for a guinea pig for CI products .. sheep ? monkeys ? anyone know ?

Health insurance in this country is getting crazier by the month. Any CI product is and should be considered "durable medical equipment" and covered .

If and when you consider shopping or changing insurance plans, make sure you know what is covered and not covered with the CI provisions.

As an Advanced Bionics-Harmony user for almost 5 years now-my experience is not what is noted above. I still use the original batteries today. The external processor has been repaired a couple of years ago-under warranty. I have the entire package and haven't used-so far-any of the new parts. Where I live-there is a 3 year period after which one must decide what "package" to pay for.

I'll second Phil's comments. My daughter is very hard on her processors but they keep on working. They've been banged on concrete as hard as she could swing them, thrown across rooms, and held in her mouth, but they keep working. She did manage to break a headpiece wire, but it was intentional. She was proud to have broken the wire, but very upset that she couldn't hear as a result! A quick call to AB had a replacement product on my doorstep before noon the next day.

Her batteries last about 30 hours, and have for over a year now.

After interacting with AB and even visiting their production facility in California, I can't disagree enough with the comments made about their main focus being "profit margin". Of the three companies, I think their record shows them to be one of the more patient oriented manufacturers.

Back