Friendship?

I don't think the people will get another dog as they have two kids and the child with autistic need a lot attention.
That is funny you like the sign for turtle too, I loves turtles.

Maybe a special dog that has been trained to assist children would be beneficial, though! Considering they got the first dog to begin with, I'd think they like dogs.
And yeah! When I took ASL 1 I had to sign a short story, so I made up a little story about a turtle. It was awesome.

Yeah, I've actually made friends from websites before and sometimes conversation dies out for no real reason. Or sometimes the person ends up being kinda mean, like you said. But I'm a big fan of this forum, so I'm hoping the odds will be in my favor so that I can at least make a few pals. :p
May the odds be every in your favor.

So who has skype/facebook? I'm camera shy, tbh, but I'd love to continue chatting with you guys!

Hi, welcome to AD. I understand how you feel--I'm also a college student, but majoring in biology and going into medical research. I'm currently part of a research lab trying to figure out some things.

I'm a hearing person but Deaf culture is indeed fascinating!

Hi, welcome to AD. I understand how you feel--I'm also a college student, but majoring in biology and going into medical research. I'm currently part of a research lab trying to figure out some things.

I'm a hearing person but Deaf culture is indeed fascinating!

Hello! :) I wish I had a brain for bio... but I am awful at it. Do you know how to sign in ASL?

Hello! :) I wish I had a brain for bio... but I am awful at it. Do you know how to sign in ASL?

I've taken a semester of sign language at my university; I know enough for basic communication. I don't have anyone to sign with so it's hard to remember things.

FYI, I have aspergers syndrome, but I did not find out until recently because I was pretty advanced for my age. I became a seasoned software engineer by the age of 12 and learned electrical engineering (hobbyist, e.g. circuit analysis and such) and now going into medical research. When it comes to interacting with people, I'm just awful.

I've taken a semester of sign language at my university; I know enough for basic communication. I don't have anyone to sign with so it's hard to remember things.

FYI, I have aspergers syndrome, but I did not find out until recently because I was pretty advanced for my age. I became a seasoned software engineer by the age of 12 and learned electrical engineering (hobbyist, e.g. circuit analysis and such) and now going into medical research. When it comes to interacting with people, I'm just awful.

I honestly think aspergers syndrome is like the genius syndrome. :p Only, people who have it are just "socially awkward" geniuses. ^_^

I found a pic to illustrate what I was about to say lol

pic-autism-t-shirt.jpg

I have a close friend with aspergers, and mentor students under the spectrum at my school. I think they have aspergers, but I don't know for sure.

Anyways, if you ever wanna practice ASL (even if its not live, maybe we can just send pre-recorded video clips?) I'm down for it. I have social anxiety, so I'm always up for avoiding an uncomfortable social situation. Haha. Are you HoH?

Anyways, if you ever wanna practice ASL (even if its not live, maybe we can just send pre-recorded video clips?) I'm down for it. I have social anxiety, so I'm always up for avoiding an uncomfortable social situation. Haha. Are you HoH?

Haha, thank you. I think that I may have some degree of Social Anxiety as well. Have you taken the Liebowitz SA test?

I am not hard of hearing; I have a fully functional auditory system as far as I am aware. I joined AD primarily due to research interests and fascination with Deaf culture.

I would be honored to practice signing with you, but unfortunately I have little time. Possibly when winter break rolls around, we'll have a go at it if that is okay with you. :)

Haha, thank you. I think that I may have some degree of Social Anxiety as well. Have you taken the Liebowitz SA test?

I am not hard of hearing; I have a fully functional auditory system as far as I am aware. I joined AD primarily due to research interests and fascination with Deaf culture.

I would be honored to practice signing with you, but unfortunately I have little time. Possibly when winter break rolls around, we'll have a go at it if that is okay with you. :)

Liebowitz SA test? What's that? o:

I'm not HoH either, but I wouldn't say my ears are perfect. -__- This year I've been consistently requesting my friends to repeat things... They tease me about it, of course, but I think I should visit an audiologist to see what's up.
Sounds good. I'm very busy as well, so I'll have more free time around then too.

I honestly think aspergers syndrome is like the genius syndrome. :p Only, people who have it are just "socially awkward" geniuses. ^_^

I found a pic to illustrate what I was about to say lol

pic-autism-t-shirt.jpg

I have a close friend with aspergers, and mentor students under the spectrum at my school. I think they have aspergers, but I don't know for sure.

I had friend in California and he failed in everything expect chemistry . I thought my friend was very shy , he did not made eyes contact very often.
I realize years later he must of had Asperger's and no one never knew it.
He was a genius when it came to chemistry and he helping to find a cure for cancer . He had great a sense of humor when he showed it.

Liebowitz SA test? What's that? o:

I'm not HoH either, but I wouldn't say my ears are perfect. -__- This year I've been consistently requesting my friends to repeat things... They tease me about it, of course, but I think I should visit an audiologist to see what's up.
Sounds good. I'm very busy as well, so I'll have more free time around then too.

High levels of stress, lack of sleep, internal distractions, etc are more far likely causes than aural deterioration at our age. More than likely, you are doing fine. And yes, it is a short quiz that attempts to quantitatively determine one's social anxiety levels.

I will PM you my Skype info when I get home tonight.

I had friend in California and he failed in everything expect chemistry . I thought my friend was very shy , he did not made eyes contact very often.
I realize years later he must of had Asperger's and no one never knew it.
He was a genius when it came to chemistry and he helping to find a cure for cancer . He had great a sense of humor when he showed it.

I've noticed that many individuals with Aspergers tend to excel in the subjects that interest them most. If their interests are limited to just a few subjects, sometimes it'll appear as though they're struggling at almost everything else. (Like your friend) but I'm pretty sure that as interests expand, that little bit of will power to learn makes a world of a difference, and they can become experts on a wide variety of subjects - not just one. One of my newest friends is under the spectrum (I think aspergers, but cannot confirm) and he knows every little fact about all of his favorite topics: comic books, politics, history, video games, particular television series (i.e. teen titans), etc. It's amazing.

You know how deafness is not a disability? I kind of consider Aspergers to be similar. The (high functioning) autistic community may lack the self-advocacy skills that the deaf community has established, but.. I really believe if that improved, they would be a brilliant community. Most people with Aspergers are proud, and would not want to live without it if they could. They don't believe there needs to be a "cure", as there is nothing wrong with them. See the similarities? I support them wholeheartedly, and I hope they can be as successful as the deaf community one day.

You might want to check out this article on disabilities and why some people are born with them: Dear LOA: Why Are Some People Born Disabled?

My personal take on it is that being deaf is a disability, there's no way around it. If I was stranded in the woods and my survival depending on listening for prey to hunt I'd be dead. And when I was in high school deciding what I wanted to do for a career I ultimately had to figure out somewhere where my hearing loss would not be an issue. Let's face it no one's going to hire me as a telemarketer or a musician!

So with that, I believe living with a disability provides an inspiration to others and at least according to my life, it's to prove that your own limitation is yourself. I'm not reduced to living off disability checks and begging for handouts. I have my own house, car, and a job where I work with hearing people all day; I do not require an interpreter and as a matter of fact I've been promoted three times in a 4 year span.

I don't think it's some random chance that my family and some of friends have issues with self-confidence. They can't help but wake up when they see someone like me who is disabled and yet can still be happy and productive.

Hi, thanks! Psych is such a great major ^__^ I do have an AAS degree in communication design (like graphic design) too, so we are quite similar! And yes, I want to work with children with developmental disabilities and intellectual disabilities. I am particularly interested in autism, but I've worked with individuals with down syndrome, cerebral palsy, tourettes, etc. ASL is a wonderful method to communicate with kids with autism, because most of the time they have the capability to communicate, but they can't form words. Oh! And a lot of people with down syndrome have hearing loss. I learned my first sign from a wonderful boy with DS. He showed me the "T" for toilet. :D So awesome. But I really do hope to use ASL for more than just work. My boyfriend has a photographic memory, so he is catching on very quickly. If we get married, we agreed to raise our kids on English, Spanish, and ASL. ^__^ (I don't know how to say much in Spanish though... The only sentence I know is "The cat says meow!") :p

On the other hand while autistic(and what I mean by that is classic autistic....NOT Aspie/HFA......) kids can use ASL to communicate, somewhat /basicly they can't nessarily use it as a LANGAUGE the way dhh kids do......

On the other hand while autistic(and what I mean by that is classic autistic....NOT Aspie/HFA......) kids can use ASL to communicate, somewhat /basicly they can't nessarily use it as a LANGAUGE the way dhh kids do......

Yes. You are entirely right. It's kind of like how someone with a severe intellectual disability can use english.. Though they can't express their thoughts and feelings in sentences, they can say particular words express their needs. "Food" or even "Num num" or something, or "Drink" "Baba" etc ...
Same how autistic can use the sign for food and drink

It's still useful :)

Originally I went into ASL for just those basic words, but now I want to know the whole language so I can do more. (Like actually communicate with dhh kids/people)

Wirelessly posted

We can still communicate without ASL.... just throwin' it out there... I'm fluent and most people aren't, there are other ways... again, just putting it out there... you can still communicate with us....

Yes. You are entirely right. It's kind of like how someone with a severe intellectual disability can use english.. Though they can't express their thoughts and feelings in sentences, they can say particular words express their needs. "Food" or even "Num num" or something, or "Drink" "Baba" etc ...
Same how autistic can use the sign for food and drink

It's still useful :)

Originally I went into ASL for just those basic words, but now I want to know the whole language so I can do more. (Like actually communicate with dhh kids/people)

:jaw:

I'm impressed......Very...Usually when people get all excited about teaching kids with disabilities ASL, they don't understand that severe/moderate classicly autistic and severe ID people can't use sophiscated language in the way people who are intellectucally on par can......And yes it's still useful....But it's more like augmentive and alternative communication...Sometimes it's found that kids are more higher functioning then thought......but that's super rare.I've often wondered why that population doesn't use Makaton (AAC system in use in the UK)
Did you know that there are a couple of Deaf schools that have programs for Deaf autistic kids and hearing but still disabled kids who use Sign in an AAC fashion?Deaf-Autism Program and The Children's Center for Communication

Did you fill up your pals roster? If not,:gpost::bump:
Im deaf and am impressed with how much you give of yourself to the students and learning of other culture and languages. I was in special ed until 7th grade so I met alot of different kinds of groups with their limits and skills. So I know its definitely not easy. Good job braving it and trying to make your entry here. I've had my share of enjoying the posts and ideas and stories.
What level education are u reaching for, to teach or work with?

Your profession

That's so cool! I actually find it very interesting that you have both drawing/painting skills *and* photography skills. Many artists that I've met are just either one or the other. I personally have difficulty expressing myself through photography, so kudos to you! :) And congrats on graduating! If I could take decent pictures, I would choose similar themes. If there's anything I love to see captured, it's the connection, the relationship between two souls that is thought to be invisible. Yet, sometimes it's visible.. and those moments are precious. As far as the hospice work -- all I can say is ... :applause:
That's truly amazing. I mean, that's really the ultimate thing you could do for the world. It's one thing to have compassion/empathy for others, but another to do something with it. You really need to be tough for that... I don't think I could do it. I have the empathy, but... I'm too soft. The reason why I never went for vet related jobs is because I know I wouldn't be able to handle it when the animals don't make it. :c
I think it's really important that the people who *can* handle tough situations actually do it. That's why when I get my degree, I will work with the more severely disabled population. Why? Because I can, and therefore I should. If I don't, someone who really can't handle it will. Don't ask me why on that one... I have no clue. People without compassion, without the ability to empathize with the developmentally/intellectually disabled should NOT work with them.... yet they do. There is too much negligence out there. I have to do something. Even if it's just taking one spot that they can't have. So for you -- the fact that you can do even more for the world, it's spectacular, and important. Makes me happy to see people so driven to help others, even when it's hard.

... Yup, I'm a cheeseball. Haha. Sorry. I just treasure these "faith in humanity restored" moments.

Your profession is very creative. You approach topics from a unique perspective. I am intrigued and would like to see some of your images. I love photography too and am interested in similar areas. You must be really talented. Many photographers are struggling to make a living. It is great doing something as fulfilling as photography.

I'll be your friend! I have my Bachelors in special education and am actually going into graduate school next fall for my Masters in moderate/severe disabilities (but I might be able to switch to intellectual disabilities/autism (with focus on ABA)...

Back