Fresh batteries = pure joy.

I got started on 2400cps and then drifted down until I settled nicely at 900, which I love. I did try 720 but didn't like it.

I'm surprised they did that with you. I hear from my Audi that they now set everybody at first with 900 cps as the majority of the folks prefer that. Only a few stray upwards.

I eventually settled on 1800 cps as I liked that a little better than 2400 cps at the time. Good thing too given battery life! :D I'm afraid to try 2400 cps again as I probably would like it...***sigh!***

I'm surprised they did that with you. I hear from my Audi that they now set everybody at first with 900 cps as the majority of the folks prefer that. Only a few stray upwards.

I eventually settled on 1800 cps as I liked that a little better than 2400 cps at the time. Good thing too given battery life! :D I'm afraid to try 2400 cps again as I probably would like it...***sigh!***

Is a cps a cycle per second (cps = Hz)? And does this apply to all implants, or just Cochlear Americas ones?

Is a cps a cycle per second (cps = Hz)? And does this apply to all implants, or just Cochlear Americas ones?

Cycles per seconds does not equate to Hz. They are similar in concept but they are different. CPS is simply the refresh rate the signals stimulate the cochlea nerve. This is basically fixed for an individual (biology is destiny) and hence the different preferences.

I'm not sure about the other manufacturers. Maybe some of the others can add their two cents.

Ha ha, so do I. I hated taking audiograms because it'd start the ringing in my ears and then I couldn't tell the sounds from the ringing in my ears.

To begin with, when my tinnitus was very bad, My audiologist for the CI let me look at the screen during setting of the threshold levels, so that I could watch the flashing light to indicate she was testing so that I could discern the sound away from the tinnitus. It worked very well and it was based on a relationship of trust.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. I just find it interesting reading about these different mapping approaches.

I heard of a teenager with a CI who is basically given the controls of the computer and he does everything himself under his audie's watchful gaze! Apparently he does it really fast and zips the comfort levels up and down. But his maps really work for him despite his mother's concern. Now there's control for you. :)

I heard of a teenager with a CI who is basically given the controls of the computer and he does everything himself under his audie's watchful gaze! Apparently he does it really fast and zips the comfort levels up and down. But his maps really work for him despite his mother's concern. Now there's control for you. :)

Oooooh! I gotta have that! That would work for me too...:dance2:

To begin with, when my tinnitus was very bad, My audiologist for the CI let me look at the screen during setting of the threshold levels, so that I could watch the flashing light to indicate she was testing so that I could discern the sound away from the tinnitus. It worked very well and it was based on a relationship of trust.

I have bilateral tinnitus and there have been a few times where my T has acted up during a mapping appointment.

Since I'm totally blind, my only choice is to work through it as best I can.

On days where my T is really bad, my audi will increase the beeps to where they are a little louder than my comfort levels and then lower them until I reach my T and C levels.

T levels are a little more difficult to set because they involve soft beeps which can be completely masked by the tinnitus.

However, after doing this for 2 1/2 years, I now know that my C levels tend to be 1-3 notches below a tolerable (meaning just above my comfort level, but not painful) comfort level and my T levels another 3-4 notches below that.

I got started on 2400cps and then drifted down until I settled nicely at 900, which I love. I did try 720 but didn't like it.

When my first CI was activated, my audi started me with 900 Hz. Three months later she allowed me to try 1200 Hz, but after 2 weeks I couldn't make heads or tails out of what I heard.

Interestingly enough, several months ago a new CI audi at my CI center accidentally switched the processing speed on both of my processors from 900 Hz to 1200 Hz. While I was able to understand speech, it sounded far more distorted and high frequencies in music sounded off-key.

When I saw my regular audi about this a few weeks later, that's when she discovered the Hz had been changed. Once I was switched back to 900 Hz, speech and music sounded 100% normal to me again. :)

Back