Freedom Battery Compartment

How do you guys manage to listen to music on Ipod using CI? I mean I know there is an accessory socket at the base of the Nucleus and I also have the external wire which we can connect to music players, TV, etc. However I have never really benefited from those yet (maybe its too early after CI activation?). Or are you using some kind of ear loop which is the shape of the ear and fits behind the CI? Like the one below:

Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio

I dont know how CI users listen to music, but I just plug in my normal earphones into my ears (taking HA off) and the only thing I hear with CI is the high pitches from the music. Never the actual music! Am I missing out on something?

In my experience, it took 6 months before I could really start to appreciate music. Until then, I only heard bits and pieces of music. For example, during the first month of activation, I could only hear percussion -- no vocals or instrumentals. As time went on, vocals became clearer and more pronounced. So did instrumentals. By 6 month's time, music sounded wonderful and exactly as I remembered with hearing aids -- only better. When listening to music, I suggest that you listen to songs over and over again. Doing this will help your brain become used to what it is hearing. The more you listen to a particular song, the clearer it will become.

And you got 4 rechargeable batteries? Wow... I thought the standard was 2 and ofcourse you can buy more! I only happened to get two! :(

Since my implantations were in 2004 and 2006, I didn't receive any rechargeables. :( I received two rechargeables as a gift.

How do you guys manage to listen to music on Ipod using CI? I mean I know there is an accessory socket at the base of the Nucleus and I also have the external wire which we can connect to music players, TV, etc. However I have never really benefited from those yet (maybe its too early after CI activation?). Or are you using some kind of ear loop which is the shape of the ear and fits behind the CI? Like the one below:

Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio

I dont know how CI users listen to music, but I just plug in my normal earphones into my ears (taking HA off) and the only thing I hear with CI is the high pitches from the music. Never the actual music! Am I missing out on something?

Yes, I have two because I had two implants at different times, so I got two times the stuff.

I just use my PACs (Personal Audio Cable) for my iPod. I hate the T-coil inductive stereo...I'm so glad that I don't need mine anymore. I don't want people staring at me if I have the music on too loud, and they can hear it through the mics. :)

I think the PACs are BETTER than anything with T-Coil. You can have your audiologist have one program specifically made for music or anything using the PACs. I find that I have it on a louder program and changes in program strategies for music only. For example - Everyday program is Auto sensitivity. Music program is auto sensitivity and ADRO with more lower frequencies. If I use that program everyday, things would sound very loud and different.

If you never had any experience with music prior implantation, you will have a bit of a longer time to get used to it. If you have, ask your audiologist to change strategies to see if that helps to make the music more clearer. Bring your iPod/MP3 and PACs and test it out.

It took about two months or so for the music to sound much better, and about 6 months for it to sound 99% perfect (that's because my new audiologist turned off one damn electrode that was bugging me).

I hate the T-coil inductive stereo...I'm so glad that I don't need mine anymore. I don't want people staring at me if I have the music on too loud, and they can hear it through the mics. :)

Thats so Interesting.... ummm :hmm: ... I just got my T-coil Ear hooks recently and found them better than the PACS as i was hearing too much back ground noise. I am going on holiday next week with my brother (hearing) i will ask him if he hear anything through T-Coil. I will most certainly talk about this with my Audi when i see her on the 19th November (3 month map).

I figured out the problem...it's the rubber seal. For anyone who has it - take off the rubber seal, then put it in...you'll see how easily it was put in, right? So..it's the seal that's making it more of a snug fit. I wouldn't use it without the rubber seal because it can still be slightly loose. But regardless...they need to design the rechargeable so it can "click" in place, without putting pressure on the sides.
You should never remove the rubber seal because it prevents water entering into BTE from raining, sweating, accident showered with it, etc.. It keeps the moist out.

turn sensitivity down

Howdy everyone!

For me the key to using the personal audio cable (PAC) with an Ipod in noisy environments (like an airplane or a loud street) is to simply turn the sensitivity down---way down, even all the way down to S0 sometimes.

For me, the sensitivity controls the "mix" of how much sound from the PAC gets combined with how much sound from the microphones, and when I have it down to S0, you *only* here the Ipod, and not any of the ambient sound.

I spent most of a long airplane flight listening to a "book on tape" (David McCullough's John Adams) this way. It was fantastic!

On music: it only took me about a month before music was enjoyable, and it gets better all the time. Right now, for me, music is *wonderful* (although some music is confusing).

My first controller lasted about eight months before it cracked, but when it cracked it cracked badly; Cochlear was very timely about sending out a replacement.

My backup controller is a mini, and I think that was a mistake for three reasons. First, the mini doesn't support the PAC! Second, it doesn't support rechargeables (which I now use unless I'm travelling). Finally (to my great surprise), my current maps are not guaranteed to work with the mini---they may require too much current, so I might get cutouts.

I'm going to try to see if I can get Cochlear to trade in my mini for a backup full-sized controller.

-tom

Howdy everyone!

For me the key to using the personal audio cable (PAC) with an Ipod in noisy environments (like an airplane or a loud street) is to simply turn the sensitivity down---way down, even all the way down to S0 sometimes.

For me, the sensitivity controls the "mix" of how much sound from the PAC gets combined with how much sound from the microphones, and when I have it down to S0, you *only* here the Ipod, and not any of the ambient sound.

I spent most of a long airplane flight listening to a "book on tape" (David McCullough's John Adams) this way. It was fantastic!

On music: it only took me about a month before music was enjoyable, and it gets better all the time. Right now, for me, music is *wonderful* (although some music is confusing).

My first controller lasted about eight months before it cracked, but when it cracked it cracked badly; Cochlear was very timely about sending out a replacement.

My backup controller is a mini, and I think that was a mistake for three reasons. First, the mini doesn't support the PAC! Second, it doesn't support rechargeables (which I now use unless I'm travelling). Finally (to my great surprise), my current maps are not guaranteed to work with the mini---they may require too much current, so I might get cutouts.

I'm going to try to see if I can get Cochlear to trade in my mini for a backup full-sized controller.

-tom

Tom,

What you describe about the mini not being able to accept stronger, more powerful maps is something I've also heard from other CI users. This is something Cochlear couldn't anticipate until CI users started informing them about the problems they were having (i.e. cutouts, faint sound, etc.).

I don't think you should have any problem exchanging your mini for a regular sized BTE. Another CI user I know had to do this after she discovered that the mini couldn't accommodate her powerful maps.

Okay everyone - just a quick note...

I was able to replace ALL four of my batteries without a problem. EASY! Just call them, and they will check your records then they will send you new ones. I believe that they have to be up to 3 years old. I'm not too sure...I may be wrong. The new batteries is WONDERFUL! It takes NO pressure on the controllers, and it clicks in place. The O-ring (rubber ring) is thinner, and the body is just slightly thinnner.

I highly recommend you to get yours replaced. I would hate to see that your controllers get cracked years down the road because you used the old rechargeables.

So, I got my rechargeables and controllers replaced.

Okay everyone - just a quick note...

I was able to replace ALL four of my batteries without a problem. EASY! Just call them, and they will check your records then they will send you new ones. I believe that they have to be up to 3 years old. I'm not too sure...I may be wrong. The new batteries is WONDERFUL! It takes NO pressure on the controllers, and it clicks in place. The O-ring (rubber ring) is thinner, and the body is just slightly thinnner.

I highly recommend you to get yours replaced. I would hate to see that your controllers get cracked years down the road because you used the old rechargeables.

So, I got my rechargeables and controllers replaced.

That's great, Lady! Thanks for letting us know about this. I plan to give Cochlear a call on Monday.

I have the AB CI, and I have had that happen to my battery charger. Not sure if it's the same way since I don't know how a Cochlear charger looks like, but I had a problem that it cracked unable to charge my batteries. I got a new charger that's different from the previous one, and it doesn't look like the crack will happen to this one due to it's different design.

So, I truly know how you feel about your concern with it being expensive. Make sure you let the company know with a brief e-mail because the company truly listen to its CI users to improve things. It's like they read your mind when you see an improvement! LOL.

Make sure you let the company know with a brief e-mail because the company truly listen to its CI users to improve things. It's like they read your mind when you see an improvement! LOL.

Good advice, ClearSky. I don't know about AB, but Cochlear e-mails surveys/questionaires to interested CI users asking them for feedback about their experiences, how the current speech processor design can be improved and the different kinds of changes they would like to see in the future.

Good advice, ClearSky. I don't know about AB, but Cochlear e-mails surveys/questionaires to interested CI users asking them for feedback about their experiences, how the current speech processor design can be improved and the different kinds of changes they would like to see in the future.

Really? I had thought about this, but I always thought we just e-mail. I should ask AB if they have such surveys/questionaires for those who are interested :ty:.

Boy...I learn something new all the time. Send me the info! I would like to be part of that survey.

Boy...I learn something new all the time. Send me the info! I would like to be part of that survey.

Will do. :) By the way, the surveys/questionaires that Cochlear sends via e-mail are given several times a year. For anyone who is interested in participating in these surveys/questionaires, all you have to do is contact Cochlear to let them know.

I'd like that too although I doubt they take international surveys...do they?

Vivie and Lady,

I'll get the information from Cochlear regarding the surveys/questionaires and post it here.

Back