Foreign newbie

Nea kophe

Reaction score
Hi!! I'm new, too, and I came here because I like getting involved with the deaf world. As the title says, I'm foreign, I'm a Spaniard and my English has got a bit rusty, besides it's difficult for me to use another language so different from mine.
Well, nice to meet you guys!
(Sorry for any mistake. Feel free to correct me)

hola Nea, como estas!

I lived in new mexico and picked up a bit of mexicano spanish while living there. however, my spanish is terrible. hahahaha!
your english, on the other hand, is very good! welcome to AD.
a third hanguage is extremely usefull in this day and age.
kudos for supporting the deaf community!

Hi, Nea. If your English is "a bit rusty," then many of us here are rust-buckets, oxidized beyond all hope.

Soy sordo, pero leo los labios. ¡Recepción!

How's that for rusty Spanish?

:welcome: to AD! Hey, you are in good company...for many people here, English is not their first language. :)

Hi!! Thanks everyone for your messages!! This is another reason for visiting this forum, I wanted to practice my English. Spanish people is know for not being the best at languages... It this happens with hearing people, you can imagine how it is for deaf people. I've got a deaf English friend who speaks really well Spanish and French, she told me French is more difficult to understand than Spanish. Well, that's her opinion.
Now, time for corrections: Banshee333, your greeting is perfect. There are slight differences with Mexican Spanish, but not so many. I think it's more similar than Argentinian Spanish.
And Chase, your sentence is perfectly understandable and correct, except for the part of "recepción". Did you mean the reception of an hotel? Because I can't think of another meaning. But very well, anyway.
See you around!

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Hope you will enjoy being with us. :)

And Chase, your sentence is perfectly understandable and correct, except for the part of "recepción". Did you mean the reception of an hotel? Because I can't think of another meaning.

Thanks. I picked up the word from orchard workers in California. I thought it meant "welcome," (not da nada, but "your presence is invited"). They looked Mexican, only spoke Spanish, and I was speech-reading, so I probably made a mess of it.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. I don't know how to speak any other languages like my Cree language and my husband's Ojibwe languages, just only English. I have three Deaf friends in another First Nation Reserve who can not even speak their native language either. I did try to learn French for a while less than one year long time ago. I just end up writing instead of speaking the French. Anyway, have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Hi again!
Chase, I understand yet, in Spanish welcome is "bienvenido/ bienvenida (depending of it's a boy or a girl)". "De nada" is a very different thing. Anyway, it's possible those Mexicans spoke a slightly different Spanish, they have their own words, like "ni modo" or "platicar" that a Spaniard never uses.
And Bebonang, thank your for your message and nice to meet you, too. It's a shame the situation with some native languages. Not long ago I read that a native language dissapeared when an old woman died because none of their children speak it, just English.
By the way, French is similar to Spanish (of course Portuguese or Italian are more similar), and I studied it, too, but just the elementary level.
¡Adiós!

Hi again!
Chase, I understand yet, in Spanish welcome is "bienvenido/ bienvenida (depending of it's a boy or a girl)". "De nada" is a very different thing. Anyway, it's possible those Mexicans spoke a slightly different Spanish, they have their own words, like "ni modo" or "platicar" that a Spaniard never uses.
And Bebonang, thank your for your message and nice to meet you, too. It's a shame the situation with some native languages. Not long ago I read that a native language dissapeared when an old woman died because none of their children speak it, just English.
By the way, French is similar to Spanish (of course Portuguese or Italian are more similar), and I studied it, too, but just the elementary level.
¡Adiós!

Hola Nea!

MMm yo soy de Mexico..pero e vivido en Los estados Unidos desde los 6 anos ...
mi espanol mmm necesita un poco de trabajo...lo estoy olvidando! que TRISTE!!!!
mmmm anyway....
tambien hablo en lenguaje de senas Americano.quiero ser interprete.:)
Que bueno que estas por aqui!!!
YAY! :)mi tio vive en espana no se si ya se regreso para mexico..pero lo ultimo que supe yo..es que el vivia por Zaragosa?no se...no me acuerdo el viaja mucho
okie pues si quisieras practicar tu ingles o senas conmigo estoy disponible
:wiggle:

¡Hola avwdng29! Primero, disculpa por haber tardado en contestar, estoy de exámenes y no tengo mucho tiempo libre. En fin, no se nota que se te haya olvidado el español, pero aquí estoy yo por si lo quieres practicar. Me parece muy duro para un sordo vivir en otro país, si ya tiene problemas con su lengua materna, ¿cómo debe de ser en un país extranjero? Y, personalmente, el inglés me parece difícil de entender, ni siquiera leyendo los labios, sobre todo porque uno se acostumbra a leer las palabras tal como están escritas y suele olvidar que en inglés la pronunciación es distinta. ¿Cómo te manejas en EEUU? En cuanto a lo de tu tío no te puedo decir nada, no soy de Zaragoza. Si es sordo,conozco a un chico sordo cuya novia es de Zaragoza, pero prácticamente lo conozco solo de vista.
En fin, gracias por tu amable mensaje. Ya nos veremos más por aquí.

Hi, Norcal20 and thanks for your message! I really like your last sentence: carpe diem, it's my favourite motto (I don't know how it's written, I hope you understand what I mean) and I try to apply it in my life. Nice to meet you, see you around!

Back