for oral people: When your HA/CI battery runs out

Would deaf/hoh people who are not oral be more comfortable in that sort of hearing-only (no ASL users) environment than deaf/hoh people who are oral (with dead batteries)?

Not oral? You mean Deaf people, those who sign exclusively?

For deafs who had oral:
Let's say you don't have a backup battery and your HA or CI battery runs out.

Did you ever suddenly feel like using oral totally sucks?

I have this happen to me before. When my batteries die and instead of having to explain to hearing people why I went voice off, I feel like just saying "I don't feel like talking right now."

Why does it suck for you to have your batteries run out and no longer have access to sound? Even though you have fluent ASL, do you find yourself dependent on/in a jam without your HAs?

I'm curious about why you bolded that statement, because I thought that with ASL, you would just shift seamlessly from one mode to another and wouldn't experience that frustration you mention.

Would deaf/hoh people who are not oral be more comfortable in that sort of hearing-only (no ASL users) environment than deaf/hoh people who are oral (with dead batteries)?
Considering the question was to oral only, how do you think your line of questioning possible applies?

You really need to start a different thread on the question you are posing, which is of course interesting in it's own right.

I always keep track of my life power with the disposable batteries for my CIs, that way i know when i need to change them. The disposable batteries for the freedom lasts for about three days, the n5 batteries lasts for about two days.

But when it comes to using the rechargeable batteries, its hard for me to tell which battery is the bad one, because I had gone to school with a bad battery and it going dead in the middle of the school day during class. I would always forget to take extra batteries to school with me and i would end up calling my dad to come bring me some or i would drive home during my lunch hour from school to change my batteries. luckily i live close to the school.

What i really wish is that cochlear made a battery key-chain carrier for the freedom, and i wish they would do that for the N5 but they haven't made that. It was always handy and for me its always there on my keys and i wouldn't forget about it. I wonder why cochlear didn't make a battery key-chain carrier for the n5, it would be really helpful to have that instead of putting it in a purse or a pocket and have it end up breaking.

I always keep extra batteries with me (I use hearing aids). It is rare that I'm totally out of batteries. I have two hearing aids, so if I don't have extra batteries, I rely on the other aid to carry me me through the event, maybe even moving the good battery from my "bad" ear to my "good" ear's hearing aid.

I have had both batteries go dead in the middle of a conversation, so I just explain to the other person that my hearing aid batteries went dead and I can't hear them and please wait while I change the batteries.

Sometimes people seem weirded out by the sight of someone taking out their hearing aid and putting new batteries in, but who cares? :roll: If they want to talk to me, they'll just have to live with it.

I agree!

While i was in florid with my family, my batteries went dead a couple of times. And i would have to stop and find a spot where i can change my batteries without getting into people's way. Some stopped and stared at me because i was changing my batteries. My dad would say to them "why don't you take a picture, it lasts longer" He's overprotective of me sometimes!

My friends don't mind it, they would still continue talking to me. So if either side is dead, and one of them is still good, they would just continue talking to me and it doesn't really bother them that i'm changing my batteries. If I'm changing my batteries and i need someone to hold my CIs for me, i would let somebody that i trust hold them while i get the batteries out because i'm really protective of my ears and my parents spent good money on it so i try to take really good care of them.

I have a moderate-severe hearing loss in the right ear. I still require the use of my hearing aid to listen and communicate effectively. Left ear is no good. Speech discrimination is in the mid to upper 90 percent.

I must have mistaken someone else for your degree of hearing loss.
Cool, you sound as if you have similar hearing loss to me in that aspect. Then your left is completely profound? :hmm:

Do you find it challenging to converse when you don't have your hearing aids on? (Not talking about ASL or signs)

I have had people look at me when I change my batteries too. For guys, we don't have as much options for battery storage - I figure women can use their purses or other handbags - I'm a minimal kind of guy, so usually I only store batteries in my car or every now and then in a wallet. But when my battery's in the wallet, sometimes it causes collateral damages by making a print on credit cards or other hard stuff I have in there.

Usually when I switch them in front of hearing people, they do end up watching me too. The only people who have been used to it so far were my family or old friends, although they still have curious questions sometimes. Normal hearing people areas everyone stares at me as if I had a bomb in my hand (something like that :lol:) if I switch them in public

Normal hearing people areas everyone stares at me as if I had a bomb in my hand (something like that :lol:) if I switch them in public

:lol:

I am pretty certain you don't carry any bombs with you. :)

I have had people look at me when I change my batteries too. For guys, we don't have as much options for battery storage - I figure women can use their purses or other handbags - I'm a minimal kind of guy, so usually I only store batteries in my car or every now and then in a wallet. But when my battery's in the wallet, sometimes it causes collateral damages by making a print on credit cards or other hard stuff I have in there.

Usually when I switch them in front of hearing people, they do end up watching me too. The only people who have been used to it so far were my family or old friends, although they still have curious questions sometimes. Normal hearing people areas everyone stares at me as if I had a bomb in my hand (something like that :lol:) if I switch them in public

I have a little battery case on a very short bead chain. You could carry that and clip it to a belt loop.

I just leave the batteries in the "battery wheel/card" it came in and put it in my pocket. I tear off the upper half of the "card" and keep the bottom half "wheel/card" in my pocket. Sometimes the batteries fall out of the trapdoor, but more often than not, they stay in place and it's fine. I suppose you could tape the trapdoor shut. Or use part of a Post-It note to "tape" it shut.

For any lurkers...........the OP (origional post) is exactly the reason why an exclusive auditory-verbal and even an auditory oral approach is not a good idea. Those approaches cause complete and utter dependancy on a piece of technology. Kids cannot function without hearing. How sad is THAT?
I can get along very well without hearing. I just speechread. Matter of fact, I did my entire senior year of high school without a hearing aid at ALL.

DD, not sure if I understand, do you have an auditory-oral background? If so, are you saying that because of this you are totally dependent on technology or based on your senior year experience, do you think you can get along just fine without technology?

Did you supplement your year without HAs with CART or any other form of accommodation?

I must have mistaken someone else for your degree of hearing loss.
Cool, you sound as if you have similar hearing loss to me in that aspect. Then your left is completely profound? :hmm:

Do you find it challenging to converse when you don't have your hearing aids on? (Not talking about ASL or signs)

My left is around 92 dB.

I rarely converse without my hearing aid. In fact, without it I can still converse over the phone talking and listening. Conversing isn't difficult for me without my hearing aid, just mostly one way conversation and some lip reading. It's not the full conversion I could easily get while with my hearing aid on.

I used to have my hearing aids for years. It was pain in the ass to get my HA batteries changed or running out.

When I was in the early 20's, I decided not continuing HAs, so therefore, it saved me money from purchasing HA batteries.

I have a ZERO interest in CI. ZERO at all.

I am perfectly happy without HAs. If hearies complain, then too bad for them. :naughty:

Missing some posts here... What happened...???

I'd asked if being both oral and asl-user made a dead battery a non-issue, Naisho explained that this thread is only relevant to those who are oral-only, not for those who are also ASL users.

We mostly use rechargeables for her CIs, backed up with disposables if somehow we miss a charge. They last a day and maybe an hour or two into the next day, so we have a routine :) of charging at night. She keeps packets of disposables in her backpack, but we find that they go fast -- she's often lending them out to other students, so we have to be vigilant about keeping track of how many are left (and available to her). It's a drag, though, that the rechargeables and disposables don't share a case/holder -- if her rechargeables go dead, the disposables can't be slipped in place of them -- you have to carry along the whole separate disposable battery holder along with batteries.

I always keep track of my life power with the disposable batteries for my CIs, that way i know when i need to change them. The disposable batteries for the freedom lasts for about three days, the n5 batteries lasts for about two days.

But when it comes to using the rechargeable batteries, its hard for me to tell which battery is the bad one, because I had gone to school with a bad battery and it going dead in the middle of the school day during class. I would always forget to take extra batteries to school with me and i would end up calling my dad to come bring me some or i would drive home during my lunch hour from school to change my batteries. luckily i live close to the school.

What i really wish is that cochlear made a battery key-chain carrier for the freedom, and i wish they would do that for the N5 but they haven't made that. It was always handy and for me its always there on my keys and i wouldn't forget about it. I wonder why cochlear didn't make a battery key-chain carrier for the n5, it would be really helpful to have that instead of putting it in a purse or a pocket and have it end up breaking.
Lotte has rechargeable's (2) and they work the whole day. In her schoolbag she has 2 x the batteryholders for the dispensable batteries, and a fresh pack of 6 batteries.... Haven't used them yet..

btw.. this is what we have to protect the "emergency" battery holder: (Except.. ours will hold 3 batteries.. not 2..)
DCZ60876.gif
1027-Freedom_Keyring_battery_holder-142_200x200.jpg

Missing some posts here... What happened...???

GrendelQ asked for information of how it's like being an ASL user and running out of batteries mid-event. This thread is asking about experiences of people who are able to communicate in oral, or both if you are able to follow the posts correctly.

I don't consider myself an expert in Deaf culture as I came primarily from an oral environment. I'm also not looking for responses from ASL-only (ie, voice off) people. Therefore, GrendelQ's posts have been moved to a separate thread here: for ASL people: When your HA/CI battery runs out.

If you don't have experience of how it is like to be in an oral environment while deafened, please refrain from participating in this thread.

Thanks.

GrendelQ asked for information of how it's like being an ASL user and running out of batteries mid-event. This thread is asking about experiences of people who are able to communicate in oral, or both if you are able to follow the posts correctly.

I don't consider myself an expert in Deaf culture as I came primarily from an oral environment. I'm also not looking for responses from ASL-only (ie, voice off) people. Therefore, GrendelQ's posts have been moved to a separate thread here: for ASL people: When your HA/CI battery runs out.

If you don't have experience of how it is like to be in an oral environment while deafened, please refrain from participating in this thread.

Thanks.
Going...

2 days off for deliberate spam.
naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
Lotte has rechargeable's (2) and they work the whole day. In her schoolbag she has 2 x the batteryholders for the dispensable batteries, and a fresh pack of 6 batteries.... Haven't used them yet..

btw.. this is what we have to protect the "emergency" battery holder: (Except.. ours will hold 3 batteries.. not 2..)
DCZ60876.gif
1027-Freedom_Keyring_battery_holder-142_200x200.jpg

yep, that's what i have! I use that for the freedom since the freedom disposable battery pack fits into that. The n5 obviously doesn't. I wish cochlear would make some!!

Back