for CODAs or parents of KODAs

kcrocker

Reaction score
I am doing this research for police video. We have been working on very difficult issues about domestic violence for the video that later will become training tools for police academy.. Police and my staffs are working together on this issues on how to face the issues (we already did cop pull over, general arrest, etc) . What I am trying to get clear picture on CODAs action for their parents and their reaction out of this domestic violence. CODAs that has not expereince it yet but would like to share the view.. Please feel freely to do so....

My question is... If neighbor called cop becuase the deaf parents are fighting, children hears the door knocking, children will open the door and sees cops at the doorstep. Cops finds out that parents are deaf and children are hearing, cop will naturally go to children to be their "unoffical interpreter "for this ugly situation. What will you do about this situation

For example: Be blunt,, yea my parents fight, or No no they are just aruging over nothing, or children (love both of their parents) looks up to parents and say in sign langauge privately (since police usually dont know sign lanauge to understand them) and ask parents what should I do??

Last edited:
Sorry, I think it would be the best interest to get an interpeter on that. I know there are some really good signing kids out there. I know alot of parents that have kids that can do that themselves, but it just not a right tool to use.

Should get an interpeter for the following reasons:
1. An unbiss person to explan why the cop is there
2. Kids really don't have the training of code of ethics
3. Kids tend to say too much, sometimes funny, sometimes, just TMI
4. Some kids could that advantage of the problem and get their parents in more trouble.
5. The cops atleast need to write to the parents if it is ok to use their kids
6. The cops should atleast write on paper their intentions there and would like to ask a couple questions.

Great.... Thanks... Yes we are also teaching cop to get interpreter instead of relying on children to interpreter.. So I am trying to make dvd script to look realistic on how children can mess things up if they rely on children instead of interpreter. We will be showing the proper way of how they can deal with parents that is going thru domestic violence. Yes, I agree with you that children should not be signing at all. We wanted to know the worse case scenarios and all those issues we have been facing.. End of the show, we will show them the right way to do thigns for Deaf communities when they are facing police...
Thank you so much for the input!

Back