Fluctuating Hearing?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Meirad

I also have APD - which can contribute to the fluctuations. Also like most people with SNHL I also have a bit of CHL as well.

Anij; I didn't know APD did that! Thanks for the info. It just seems there's so many possibilities. :(

*I have a history of middle ear infections and head trama, so i'm leaning towards the possibility of DEH or menieres along with APD.

Anij, I've been trying to find triggers for my fluctuation and I've been thinking that stress and tiredness can affect my hearing. It's good to know that I might be on the right track with this. (I really need to work on getting more sleep)

Also I have a similar hearing situation with one ear that is completely deaf and the other ear with a loss. My fluctuations seem to be about the same as yours but with the possibility of lasting weeks and I have only gone to profoundly deaf with no speech understanding rather than completely deaf.

Safarigirl thanks :)

Chadbert definitely sounds like that could be what i have. Makes sense. Lasting weeks? That sucks, Today i was out shopping and my mom had to grab my attention a few times because i gave up on the conversation. Having that for weeks would drive crazy.

Sister is heading to her appointment today with the ENT, i'll let you all know the results. I'll be getting my appointment and test sometime next month hopefully.

Got the results for my sister. She has APD and her ears don't pick up on some frequencies at all. They said they thought it might be there equipment though, they aren't sure. They told her to get either a hearing aid for apd or an fm system. Hopefully i'll get my testing done soon. It's taking a really long time to get everything together.

the cause for my deafness was AIED (autoimmune inner ear disease) I got that when i was about 3 years old. I don't remember much from it. But I researched it, and my AIED would let me hear fine one day then the next day it would be all out of place. Plus my balance is really bad. I can't even walk in a straight line, that has to do with my AIED. I had the HAs for awhile until i was 8, i got the CI on my left, my hearing aid was useless for me and my left side was pretty much dead. I was on steroids to help balance out my hearing before i got my hearing aids. It helped a little. But up until my sophomore year my right side started to go bad due to being in drumline or the possibility of my AIED. my audi and I don't really know. So i got a 2nd CI on my right side my junior year of high school. Sometimes i feel dizzy, thats also a part of my AIED. But it goes away after a few minutes.

here's a good resource of AIED: Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease (AIED)

Got the results for my sister. She has APD and her ears don't pick up on some frequencies at all. They said they thought it might be there equipment though, they aren't sure. They told her to get either a hearing aid for apd or an fm system. Hopefully i'll get my testing done soon. It's taking a really long time to get everything together.

that's good to hear, but FM systems can be tricky!!! I knew how my friend's zoomlink sytem works since I consider myself a zoomlink peep someday :D

Agils for the APD's a good option since I grew with that brand in 05 *I was so pretty much 10 years old*

meirad said:

APD - Auditory Processing Disorder, typically isn't managed with amplification ... This is because for many people with APD their pure tone hearing is normal or near normal ... HAs are for Db loss.

That being said, I have +120db total deafness on my right and mild/mod loss on my left - because I have aidable hearing loss (more than 35db loss) I do use a BTE HA and do benefit from more-than-traditional levels of amplification (due to the APD).

It's something you need to talk about with an audiologist who specilizes in APD/CAPD and other related conditions.

APD - Auditory Processing Disorder, typically isn't managed with amplification ... This is because for many people with APD their pure tone hearing is normal or near normal ... HAs are for Db loss.

That being said, I have +120db total deafness on my right and mild/mod loss on my left - because I have aidable hearing loss (more than 35db loss) I do use a BTE HA and do benefit from more-than-traditional levels of amplification (due to the APD).

It's something you need to talk about with an audiologist who specilizes in APD/CAPD and other related conditions.

yeah but I heard Oticons Agils are useable for that stuff :)

Sarfarigirl2011 said:

yeah but I heard Oticons Agils are useable for that stuff :)

They're just HAs

The reality is the APD is a neurological condition - furthermore amplication doesn't really benefit APD -especially when the amplification brings up any background noises at all (which is a fairly typical issue with HAs).

Sorry - unless someone has at least mild hearing loss (aidable) in conjunction with APD, HAs are not only no beneficial, they're actually not allowed to be dispensed (it's illegal to sell/fit someone with normal range hearing with a HA).

According the to audiologist she has mild hearing loss, in low and high frequencies. They didn't let us see the audiogram or anything just transferred it to her doctor so we are all confused at the moment and the doctor hasn't called either.-_-

I'll keep those oticons in mind! I didn't know that about the FM systems. How annoying!

According the to audiologist she has mild hearing loss, in low and high frequencies. They didn't let us see the audiogram or anything just transferred it to her doctor so we are all confused at the moment and the doctor hasn't called either.-_-

I'll keep those oticons in mind! I didn't know that about the FM systems. How annoying!

yeah Oticons are great, love my 3rd pair better then the second pair which is also Oticon but the 2nd one has no VC or VS.

Back