flea problem, need help

SpiceHD

Reaction score
Ok I have absolutely no money due to the fact that I just moved to new apartment. During the move my cats somehow has gotten fleas. It could be from couches that has been held in a garage for couple days or they could gotten it in very short time when they were outside. It doesn't matter. What matters is poor cats are itching like crazy and I have used flea shampoo but can't afford to get proper tools to help get rid of fleas. I stayed for hours and hours looking for fleas and picking them out by hand which is pretty tricky especially when cats didn't like it. Worse yet one of my cat is completely black and only way to find fleas is when he's wet. *sigh* Is there anything I can do to help cats? I feel so bad watching the cats itch themselves. Is there any home remedy I can use? Remember I can't go buy anything till I get sept SSI and sept is long time away.

Can u guys help me out here?

The best solution is get that anti-flea from vets! I know they aren't cheap but damn worth it. They are FAR FAR FAR better than any of these flea shampoos or any baloneys out in general stores, even pet stores sells cheapo ones. The advantage to this is that you apply it in back of the neck and it would last 3 months! I know your not easy with money, but still it is best of all. I use it on my dog, and I love it!

I am sorry again that these ticks are very very stubborn and not easy to remove. They lay eggs fast! That is why it is impossible to do by hand.

How in world can I pay with only 20 bucks which is reserved for human food?!? I doubt vet would allow delay in payment. Guess that means poor cats gotta suffer till sept?!? Aw man! I want to at least control fleas till I get money back to normal. (Moving is NEVER easy on money)

Any other suggestion?

Buy flea comb... It´s not expensive. It helps alot to use cat comb to rid of fleas.

Just get piece of soak kitchen roll and cat comb... You comb out fleas and then remove fleas with soak kitchen roll. It kill easily with soak kitchen roll, not dry kitchen roll.

I have 4 cats here. Sussi, 20 years old don´t have flea but Kim, 2 years old... I combed her frequently until no more fleas there... Kim had 2 daughters - they got fleas... :eek3: I don´t understand why because they are indoor cats. I combed 2 kitten frequently until no more fleas come... But we still do it on 4 cats and make sure that they have no fleas... All of 4 cats love it when I comb them... At first they don´t like it until they used it and love it...

Flea comb
Fleas & Ticks - All, Flea & Tick House Treat, Flea: Yeast & Garlic, Flea & Tick Collars, Flea & Tick Yard Treat, Flea & Tick Spot-ons, Frontline Flea, Advantage Flea, Advantix K9,

Flea comb is the best and not expensive. It cost me only €2.50 ($3.20) and help alot than use expensive anything to rid of fleas..

I also use one piece of fine chopped garlic as well to mix with cats food once a week. Fleas and ticks don´t like smell of garlic when they are in cat´s and dog´s fur. They will leave pet alone...

Bath cats doesn´t help much.

Ok I have absolutely no money due to the fact that I just moved to new apartment. During the move my cats somehow has gotten fleas. It could be from couches that has been held in a garage for couple days or they could gotten it in very short time when they were outside. It doesn't matter. What matters is poor cats are itching like crazy and I have used flea shampoo but can't afford to get proper tools to help get rid of fleas. I stayed for hours and hours looking for fleas and picking them out by hand which is pretty tricky especially when cats didn't like it. Worse yet one of my cat is completely black and only way to find fleas is when he's wet. *sigh* Is there anything I can do to help cats? I feel so bad watching the cats itch themselves. Is there any home remedy I can use? Remember I can't go buy anything till I get sept SSI and sept is long time away.

Oh no.

How many cats do you have?

Fleas, how to get rid of fleas safely.  Everything you need to know about flea remedies
Hope this link will help you - good luck

Shave hair off ? Not trying to be mean a friend shaved her Pom's when they got bad fleas. Guess it worked ?

Just get piece of soak kitchen roll and cat comb... You comb out fleas and then remove fleas with soak kitchen roll. It kill easily with soak kitchen roll, not dry kitchen roll.

What is it? -

soak kitchen roll?

not dry kitchen roll?

I'm curious :)

I'm not to sure of any cheap home remedies that you could use, but although, several links were given here in this thread...also, fleas are out in your carpet (flooring), in furniture...for that, the cheapest way to get those is simply place several small bowls around the place and fill these bowls with water...fleas can only jump so high (usually about knee-high)...once they jump and land in the bowl of water, they drown. Hopefully that will help too. Good luck too!

I agree with Liebling for flea comb. As you mentioned you think your cats might get flea from couch that was in storage prior your move, perhaps you will need to have bomb your apt that would be best so that cats won't get flea again and again. If still problem, then shampoo your couch and carpet through out then vacuum. I'm sure the vet will accept payment. Most Vets do that. It can't hurt to ask them. Good Luck.

Ha ha I've been wondering too. I think he/she meants kitchen soap and water in a bowl. I've heard it was successful.
What is it? -

soak kitchen roll?

not dry kitchen roll?

What is it? -

soak kitchen roll?

not dry kitchen roll?

Use one piece of dry kitchen roll to soak by water. Fleas will be survived if you use dry kitchen roll when you removed fleas from cat comb and squeeze fleas because they can fly or jump out from dry kitchen roll. Fleas feel trap and can´t fly when they are on soak (wet) kitchen roll then you can squeeze them after comb out easily.

I will be glad to explain you again if you don´t understand what I try to explain... I hope my description helps.

Ha ha I've been wondering too. I think he/she meants kitchen soap and water in a bowl. I've heard it was successful.

a piece of kitchen roll..
Google-Ergebnis für http://www.idealmoments.co.uk/viewImage.aspx?type=1&o=p&id=3847

Just soak a piece of kitchen roll light with water in bowl - just light soak... and then squeeze light - not heavy water on kitchen roll... and make sure it´s not too much water drop on the floor... just squeeze light...

When you comb the pets and remove fleas with soak kitchen roll and then squeeze to kill them.

Use one piece of dry kitchen roll to soak by water. Fleas will be survived if you use dry kitchen roll when you removed fleas from cat comb and squeeze fleas because they can fly or jump out from dry kitchen roll. Fleas feel trap and can´t fly when they are on soak (wet) kitchen roll then you can squeeze them after comb out easily.

I will be glad to explain you again if you don´t understand what I try to explain... I hope my description helps.

Sorry again, I don't understand what do you mean? - dry kitchen roll?

I search it under google as it is?

dry kitchen roll - Google Image Search

Drown the fleas in bath water. I know the cats will hate the water and put up quite a fight but I think the most safe way is to drown the fleas in bath water and see how that goes. If the cats don't like the water then use the vaccummer and look through the cat's fur for crawling fleas. I don't want to be seeming cruel here but the point is to stop the cat's crazy itching.

a piece of kitchen roll..
Google-Ergebnis für http://www.idealmoments.co.uk/viewImage.aspx?type=1&o=p&id=3847

Just soak a piece of kitchen roll light with water in bowl - just light soak... and then squeeze light - not heavy water on kitchen roll... and make sure it´s not too much water drop on the floor... just squeeze light...

When you comb the pets and remove fleas with soak kitchen roll and then squeeze to kill them.

Ahhhh - kitchen paper roll - I understand now!!!

Sorry again, I don't understand what do you mean? - dry kitchen roll?

I search it under google as it is?

dry kitchen roll - Google Image Search

No, just kitchen roll

kitchen roll - Google Bilder

I explained that you do not use a piece of "dry" kitchen roll to remove from fleas comb because they survived from dry kitchen roll... Soak kitchen roll with water in the bowl... Do not do heavy water on kitchen roll... but light... it´s good for fleas trap on soak kitchen roll instead of fly or jump out of a piece of dry kitchen roll.

No, just kitchen roll

kitchen roll - Google Bilder

I explained that you do not use a piece of "dry" kitchen roll to remove from fleas comb because they survived from dry kitchen roll... Soak kitchen roll with water in the bowl... Do not do heavy water on kitchen roll... but light... it´s good for fleas trap on soak kitchen roll instead of fly or jump out of a piece of dry kitchen roll.

It looks like paper towel, right? So we will need just wet paper towel? I think your country word term as kitchen roll to our USA word term as paper towel

1) Do not buy anything by HARTZ...that brand is very bad!
2) I know your cats won't be very happy, but keep up with using flea combs, and wait til September til you have enuf money to take them to vet. To keep the vet costs to a minimum, call the vet ahead of time and tell them you are only taking the cats to the vets to take care of fleas. They will just charge you for the office visit and for the flea medication. I recommend Frontline, very good flea medication. September is a little over 2 weeks so be patient. There isn't anything else that I can really suggest that will really work. IM me if you have any more questions!

Chew a really big ball of gum and then when you go through the cat's fur, take a small piece of gum then touch the flea just enough to stick the flea on the gum then toss the flea gum in the toilet or in a water bowl. The most important thing is to not let the cat's fur stick to the gum. Spread the cat's fur really flat so you can see the fur and the gum won't really touch the fur, just gets the flea stuck to the gum. It does work. You gotta improvise, adapt and overcome. Hope that helps .....

Back