Fla. Man Snaps Rare Pic of Gator in the Ocean

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Photographer Says Gators Can't Tolerate Salt Water For Long

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A South Florida photographer recently captured a rare sight on camera in the Atlantic Ocean off Palm Beach.

An American alligator was seen in a reef about a mile offshore, reported TV station WPBF.

Regularly found in freshwater lakes and rivers, alligators can tolerate salt water, but only for a short span of time.

The salt glands on the American alligator are nonfunctional, unlike that of its close cousin, the American crocodile, according to Laz Ruda's website, TheLivingSea.com.

Ruda said he was 60 feet below the ocean's surface when he saw the alligator.

"As I cruised along the sand, from the hazy distance I could see a dark shadow," Ruda writes. "Not being able to discern its shape too well I thought to myself, 'Holy cow! That's a huge stingray.'"

He said when he got closer, he couldn't believe his eyes.

"This creature was so out of place that I thought it was nothing more than a well-planned out hoax by my good friends," he said.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was called out to investigate, but the alligator had swam away by then and could not be found.

Ruda said FWC officials told him that gators will sometimes make their way out to the ocean, but if they stay out too long, they will lose their sight due to the salt water and eventually starve to death.

Fla. Man Snaps Rare Pics Of Gator In Ocean - Irresistible News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

That doesn't surprised me at all. My husband who was born and raised in Florida has seen gator(s) in salt water before. And it is true what the FFWCC said about those gators' eyes and all. I have NOT seen any in ocean but I know it's there SOMEWHERE and I don't go into the water. I'm not afraid of the ocean BUT am afraid of some things IN the ocean.

I was amazed myself about alligators in the ocean....must have been a very very rare sighting!....So it seems now that not the only thing we gotta worry about is sharks or jellyfish...now we've got the Gators in the ocean!...Won't be long before everybody will have to stick to the Pools to cool off.

Yea thats pretty weird thou gators are usually found in fresh water only.

Back