first time apartment searching...help?

HOH33stars

Reaction score
Hey all!
It's my first time trying to find my own place and I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions or input as to how to go about the process? (up until this point i've live on-campus or with my parents-it's time to find my own place!). I'm a bit worried about going and meeting people to try to see the apartments...the communication is what i'm most worried about lol. I don't know whether to upfront say "yeah by the way i'm deaf" or just BS it through and hope that i don't have to say anything...can i expect them to take advantage of the fact i have a hearing loss? what type of questions should i be asking these people when i go to look for an apartment? any advice would be soooo helpful!!

I brought paper and pens and they've all been nice about writing. I got the apartment I am in now because I both emailed and called on relay. It was good I called because the email was in the junk folder. I think I mentioned me being deaf in the email as a reason why I'm using the relay service to contact them too.

I'm hearing, so I'm sorry to butt in to the thread, but I would recommend bringing someone who is hearing with you before you make a final decision just in case there is some kind of noise coming from the pipes or heater or anything. Although it might not bother you if you aren't able to hear it, it could signal something wrong with whatever is making the noise and you might want to ask about it before you buy it. =)

Make sure you read through and understand all that is in the Lease. Understand what is allowed and not allowed in your new place. and make sure the landlord has a good record of keeping the place in good repair.

all the other advice are good as well.

I have always been upfront about being Deaf. I bring paper and a pen to write notes (this is how I expect them to communicate with me in the long run too) and we figure things out that way.

I need visual fire alarms/emergency alarms so I always make sure to mention that because here in Ontario they must be hardwired so this involves an electrician and such. I have never been able to get that done without a fight, normally including a legal battle of sorts which the landlord always loses.

Back