first experience with a hearing aid!

HOH33stars

Reaction score
hello all!
just a little post to update you all...
So I had my first official new audiologist appointment yesterday (Friday). She decided to redo the tests...and it was confirmed a definite moderate loss (around 50db with both ears). When she tested to see how "loud" I liked hearing people...it was at a 100+db even though I had a reflex at 85db. ANYWAY...
She only had one "loan" hearing aid...which she programed that I can use at least to start classes with until I can afford a set of hearing aids. It's the Sonic Innovation ION...it's not strong enough though for what I need, but let me tell you, just wearing one hearing aid and having it full blast has made things SO incredibly easier! Like...I can't explain what it's like to all of a sudden be hearing certain sounds...like "s" sounds in words! It's so weird...the world is "noisy" I'm finding. I feel like everything is an interesting sound-because I haven't really heard a lot of it for so long. I'm not sure what to make of it all. It's just amazing.
Anyway, I'm applying to Starkey's "HEAR NOW" program with the hopes that they'll be able to fit me with a set of aids. My audiologist wants me to try the Starkey Destiny 1200 extra power BTE aids. Hopefully HEAR NOW will help me out with those...because I definitely can't afford them on my own!
Anyway...It's taking me a lot to get used to wearing a hearing aid...but I'm loving it (never thought I'd say that...but WOW!)! Say a prayer and cross your fingers that I can actually get a real set of aids!

Good luck to you in getting your hearing aids.

My husband just got aids for a comparable loss to yours. He is very happy about it and surprised by the sounds in the world he say he didn't know he did not hear.

Hope you are accepted by your program and have an easy time adjusting.

Good luck to you in getting your hearing aids.

My husband just got aids for a comparable loss to yours. He is very happy about it and surprised by the sounds in the world he say he didn't know he did not hear.

Hope you are accepted by your program and have an easy time adjusting.

Thank you. I am finding that the TV bothers me...mostly because I didn't really understand it before, and now it just sounds weird to me...but I'm told that it's also because the aid that i'm wearing isn't really right for my hearing loss...it's just a temporary fix to get me by...it's just taking a bit of getting use to hearing certain things...i can't really describe it. lol. i can only imagine what it's like to have a set of aids that actually are meant for me...this is incredible...how much better can it really get?

oh the ion is an open fit..that's why you aren't getting enough power. the site says it is a powerful aid though..but open fit isn't as good as a regular mold. Ask the audi if u can pay for an ear mold and they can get ear hook instead and attach the loaner aid to your mold, it might work better that way

oh the ion is an open fit..that's why you aren't getting enough power. the site says it is a powerful aid though..but open fit isn't as good as a regular mold. Ask the audi if u can pay for an ear mold and they can get ear hook instead and attach the loaner aid to your mold, it might work better that way

good to know! i'll have to ask about it! thank you!!!

Back