FINALLY felt like I fit in

defgrl

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to a Deaf Church. I had visited there several times before. People were always friendly and welcoming. But, I never felt like I "really" belonged. Or if going to a Deaf church was the "right" thing for me. But, yesterday, I went the service and realized that I understood nearly everything that went on. And 4 Deaf ladies from the church and I went out for lunch and fellowship afterwards. Two of the women usually use their voices with me. But, the other two didn't because I just really got to know them yesterday. I just sat and watch people signing and I actually understood what they were talking about, a good part of the time. I don't quite know what has happened to me, but it is really nice to have good communication with people and to have friends to do things with.:hmm:

I am glad that you are comfortable with the four women, but can communicate with two women who does not use voices, but sign with you. I wish the two other women could sign too if they were not signing with you at all. :thumb: I hope I don`t misunderstand you because I was not there. :giggle:

:kiss: :hug:

Yay, and hope you get to do that again soon.

Those are good news! It's nice to make friends! :D Hope they will stay in touch with you! :hug:

Amazing! Great to hear you are fitting in at last :D I know it can be very hard in some situations.

Wasn't Clear

Oh, I meant that everyone was signing, just that two ladies also use their voices and two don't. One lady grew up without Sign, and the other is Deaf of Deaf of Deaf. The two others, who signed without voices, were somewhat older and I think went to Deaf schools. I enjoyed the different styles of communicating and different life experiences.

I read TONS of books about deafness, Deaf culture and people, ASL and PSE, MCE's and Cued Speech, etc. BUT, there is NOTHING like getting to know PEOPLE as individuals. There is a sense of shared experience and BELONGING that people have as part of a group. Signing feels...comfortable.:aw:

Back