Few questions from a Sorenson newbie...


Active Member
Jan 31, 2004
Reaction score
Okay, first off - let me apologize if this is something that has already been addressed in previous postings - if I were to sift through thousands of tech-support threads, I'd be here all night. ;) :giggle:

Allright, secondly - I, Malfoyish, have finally come out of the cave, (in addition to the closet) and gotten myself a Sorenson VP.

I have to say I really like it and yes, am kicking myself for not having indulged in this sooner! It's awesome.

However, I am wondering a few things and hope some or any of you can be of assistance!

1 - Seeing as hearing folks are not eligible for a VP or would not be able to purchase one for themselves, is there a way that they can use AIM or Skype or ooVoo or any other type of messenger to video-connect to a deaf person's VP? For example - my kids go to their dad's house on weekends and if I wanted to call them to say goodnight, would there be a way that they could somehow "see" me instead of just hear me with the VCO?

2 - Is there a way to get another VP for yourself at a secondary location? I.E., at work, another house, etc?

3 - Am I paying for any of the calls made through VP? Relay or otherwise? Will I incur any surprise charges on my already high phone bill?

Allright, I think that is it for now - if I know you and you'd like to exchange numbers, please inbox me. :)

Many thanks,
Answer to number 1:

For hearing person to connect VP, the only thing I can think of is Ojo they can buy one. The price is between $300 to $400, plus monthly contract with WorldGate, which is about $15 per month.

Answer to number 2:

Yes, you can get another VP for work but for another house, you will have to contact Soresnon about that.

Answer to number 3:

There is no charge at all through VP. The only charge you make is your internet provider like cable or FIOS.
For question # 1. You don't really need the video phone for your children's calls when away.

You can use Skype on your computer and call Skype to Skype.
Got it! Thank you both for the speedy responses.

Am still getting to know the system and am liking it. :)

#2 You can get a Purple P3 netbook, or just download P3 to a laptop, or you could get ZVRS VP or Z4 downoloaded to a laptop, or.. basically get any other VP you want (that is portable - not from Sorenson though) and use it for your kids to call you, or you to call them.
Hi Malfoyish, welcome to Sorenson! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our products and yes, it is invaluable tool for us. I hope you will enjoy for years to come.

You can call Sorenson Customer Information Resource at 800.659.4781 and the operators will be there to answer all of your questions. If you got problem with your Sorenson VP or any related products call at 801.287.9403 and they will be happy to help you resolve the problem with your Sorenson related products.

Of course, the best of all, all Sorenson service is free to all of Deaf and Hard of Hearing indivuals. And yes you can call CIR to apply for second SVP at your work. It is best to talk with your employer first, if they balked, have them call at 801.265.3331 or visit our website at Sorenson VRS®