FCC to regulate VRI?

DavidJ

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the FCC is looking to regulate Video Remote Interpreting (VRI). Anyone else know of this?

DavidJ...

its highly doubtful... VRI has do nothing with telecommuncation accessiblity that are mandated in ADA title 4.

VRI is more of providing alternative interpretping services in different format and settings, wheras there is no interpreter available locally.

VRS is under the TRS umbrella... while VRI has completely no involvement in that TRS umbrella.

Cheers!

DavidJ...

its highly doubtful... VRI has do nothing with telecommuncation accessiblity that are mandated in ADA title 4.

VRI is more of providing alternative interpretping services in different format and settings, wheras there is no interpreter available locally.

VRS is under the TRS umbrella... while VRI has completely no involvement in that TRS umbrella.

Cheers!

What he said.

/thread.

Hmmm, and why isn't VRI under the TRS umbrella?

Because VRI use professional sign language interpreters and you are billed for their service. You get quality service rather than be a cheapo one. Using VRS could get you some questionable interpreters. Not exactly a good thing.

http://www.accessamericavri.com/pdf documents/AccessAmerica Overview.pdf

I see, PFH and Kokonut; I guess I thought TRS paid for those interpreters. Or somebody....in the case of a doctor's office or hospital, does the Dr or hospital pay for it?

I see, PFH and Kokonut; I guess I thought TRS paid for those interpreters. Or somebody....in the case of a doctor's office or hospital, does the Dr or hospital pay for it?

The clients that arent deaf usually pay for it. Every once in a while the Deaf requests and pays for the interpreters.

VRI is an alternative option when a live interpreter is not available. Just like any accommodation, VRI can not be a forced option. Make sure you advocate for quality service every time you have the need of using interpreting services.

VRI is a legitimate service where billing isn't being charged to the federal govt in the same manner as VRS but to either to private individuals, company, or govt agency.

The clients that arent deaf usually pay for it. Every once in a while the Deaf requests and pays for the interpreters.

This is certainly all new to me. What do you mean by "clients who are not deaf"? What makes VRI interpreters any better, more skilled, whatever...than the VRS interpreters? So a hospital or wherever TRI is offered is a private business and gets around the ADA? I'm confused.....

Whoever makes the request pays for the service. Many hospitals and clinics have VRI software and hardware available for emergencies and/or last minute requests. In that case, they would pay for VRI services. If a deaf consumer has a specific need that would require using an interpreter and the other party that they are doing business with is not obligated or otherwise responsible for providing the accommodation, the deaf consumer would then arrange and pay for the VRI (or live) interpreting service.

This is certainly all new to me. What do you mean by "clients who are not deaf"? What makes VRI interpreters any better, more skilled, whatever...than the VRS interpreters? So a hospital or wherever TRI is offered is a private business and gets around the ADA? I'm confused.....

With VRI you do not get a random interpreter from a VRS company. You can request and schedule a specific interpreter to represent you. Therefore, the quality of services are in your hands (no pun intended)...

Whoever makes the request pays for the service. Many hospitals and clinics have VRI software and hardware available for emergencies and/or last minute requests. In that case, they would pay for VRI services. If a deaf consumer has a specific need that would require using an interpreter and the other party that they are doing business with is not obligated or otherwise responsible for providing the accommodation, the deaf consumer would then arrange and pay for the VRI (or live) interpreting service.

Cheaper than a lawsuit.

With VRI you do not get a random interpreter from a VRS company. You can request and schedule a specific interpreter to represent you. Therefore, the quality of services are in your hands (no pun intended)...

Ok, got it now, I think. So if a deafie is in a hospital that has this VRI service, he/she is not required to use it, right? He/she can still ask for a live interpreter to be present, right?

Ok, got it now, I think. So if a deafie is in a hospital that has this VRI service, he/she is not required to use it, right? He/she can still ask for a live interpreter to be present, right?

yea.. But in places like ... mccook, nebraska.. There arent many qualified interpreters to choose from.

:lol: Ok, ok, point taken but would McCook have VRI?

High speed internet and a webcam is all you need. Hospitals are more than likely to have these stuff.

Also sorenson has their VP's in pretty much every hospital (not the "Deaf VPs") for the doctors to share information with eachother.

My experience with Interperters in middle of nowhere has been impressive, especially in Nebraska too.

I had to go to ER once on a drive from western Nebraska to Eastern Nebraska/Iowa.. The interpreters' father just had died, and still showed up an hour later because she was the only qualified interpreter.

The one-who-shall-not-be-named is, I think, undertaking a lawsuit against a hospital for communication failure in the death of a family member. Not sure if that is the case but I'm sure there are cases when shoddy interpereting services (non-VRI) had unfavorable results.

Back