FCC to mull free Internet plan

Brian

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission is likely to consider a plan this month to auction public airwaves with a mandate that the winning bidder set aside some for free Internet nationwide, a proposal staunchly opposed by the cell phone industry.

The plan is championed by FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, a Republican whose time as chairman is waning as the Obama administration prepares takes office in January. Martin is expected to announce on Tuesday that his proposal will be considered at the commission's December 18 meeting.

It faces several hurdles. The cell phone industry, for example, is arguing that an FCC requirement for free Internet is not a feasible business model for most companies.

For rest of the story: FCC to mull free Internet plan

Is it means FCC want offers free internet to all citizens to access it?

Yeah, that's FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's idea to offer free Internet usage nationwide.

Wold love this so it reduces everybody's Internet subscription monthly bills! I think it should be that way so more poor people could use it anytime... also help others save some money.

If so, I don't mind to stay with a faster boost subscription bill which only costs me $10 along with Comcast cable bill.

Yet I'm not sure as if it would be a possibility?

Fcc should offer free high speed internet or discount rate internet for poor or low income deaf people to require videophone. Deafies have high speed internet at 25% to 30% now. If fcc suppose free internet for all deafies, VRS business are fast growing !

Yeah, that's FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's idea to offer free Internet usage nationwide.

That's nice, it would be good news for Puyo since he only has dial-up.

I don't know how free internet works.

Back