FCC threatens to destroy VRS by mismanagement

TRS Headlines 4/30/10 NECA Submits Payment Formula and Fund Size Estimate for the Int

Telecommunications Relay Services

In the 2010 TRS Rate Filing, NECA presents various alternative calculations for determining an
interim VRS rate for the 2010-2011 Fund year. As with the VRS rates established in the 2007 TRS Rate
Methodology Order, NECA proposes sets of tiered rates: Tier I includes monthly minutes up to 50,000;
Tier II includes monthly minutes between 50,001 and 500,000; and Tier III includes monthly minutes
above 500,000.7 In one of its proposals, on which the Bureau particularly seeks comment, NECA then
calculates the rate within each tier using weighted averages of VRS providers’ actual historical cost data
for 2009, including allowances of 1.6% for cash working capital, 3.2% for growth to the Fund, and
$0.0083 per minute for ongoing E911and ten-digit numbering costs.8 This calculation results in rates of
$5.7754 for Tier I, $6.0318 for Tier II, and $3.8963 for Tier III. The Bureau also particularly seeks
comment on whether the Commission should adopt 2010-2011 interim Fund Year rates based on NECA’s
proposed use of weighted averages in calculating each of the tiers, as described in the 2010 TRS Rate
Filing.
NECA also proposes per-minute compensation rates for all other forms of TRS based on the rate
calculation methodologies established in the 2007 TRS Rate Methodology Order.9 These calculations
result in the following proposed rates: $2.256 for interstate traditional TRS;10 $3.1566 for STS;11 $1.6951
for CTS and IP CTS;12 $1.2985 for IP Relay.13

What You Need To Know About TRS
Title IV of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Complete Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
TRS Rules.
FCC Reaffirms Rules and Policies of Video Relay Service ASL Video NEW
American Sign Language (ASL) Videos on New Numbering and E911 Requirements for VRS and IP Relay (Video/Audio).
Factsheets.
IP Relay.
Payphone Relay Service.
Speech-to-Speech.
New Ten-Digit Numbering and Emergency Call Handling Procedures for Internet-Based Telecommunications Relay Services.
Ten Digit Numbering and E911 Procedures for Internet-based TRS (Reminder to Register by November 12, 2009).
Ten-Digit Numbering and 911 Calling for Internet-Based TRS: What They Mean for Users.
TRS.
Frequently Asked Questions on New Ten-Digit Numbering Requirements for VRS and IP Relay.
Video Relay Services (VRS).
Consumer Alerts.
Doing Business Using IP Relay.
TRS History Docket.
Orders and Notices.
TRS By State.
This includes the Complaint Log Summaries and TRS Recertification Applications.
Contact List For TRS Complaints.
TRS Relay Telephone Numbers.
Speech-to-Speech Relay Telephone Numbers.
State Relay Telephone Numbers.
TRS Providers.
NOTE: To view filed TRS comments, go to ECFS and key in the Proceeding (i.e., 03-123) and retrieve the document list. Also note that comments are ordered by "date submitted" with the most recent submitted listed first.

VRS will not collapse Ed Bosson

"A Message from the FCC’s Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau to the VRS Community

You may have seen claims that the video relay service (VRS) program is threatened. This is not true. The FCC is committed to ensuring the provision of high quality VRS to all individuals who need this service. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires telecommunications access that is functionally equivalent to voice telephone services for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities. The FCC continues to believe that VRS is the most functionally equivalent form of relay for people who communicate using American Sign Language (ASL). We stand ready to meet our obligation to preserve and protect the VRS program so that ASL users and hearing people can communicate with each other over distances. This was the goal of Congress in passing the ADA and it continues to be our goal.

Here are the facts: On April 30th, the FCC released a Public Notice (DA-10-761A1.doc) asking the general public for feedback on what VRS providers should be paid to handle VRS calls for the next year. The Public Notice seeks comment on reimbursing providers based on the actual costs that VRS providers themselves claim to have incurred over the past few years to provide VRS. The only way to safeguard the VRS program is to adopt reasonable rates for all forms of relay services. Thus, it is our goal to adopt rates that are rationally based on the reasonable costs of actually providing VRS. We welcome all comments on our Public Notice, and will take all feedback into account to determine the next VRS rates. The VRS program will continue to provide the excellent communication service that you need.

Joel Gurin, Bureau Chief
Karen Peltz Strauss, Deputy Bureau Chief"
Ed’s Telecom Alert FCC Comments on Health of VRS

Already SVRS gets least money per call than any other company because it is serves most people. Has always been so. But now fcc wants make that smallest amount MUCH smaller because FCC lost court fight to Sorenson. FCC said SVRS make too much money, even though follow rules, work efficiently, not fraud. SVRS should give money back. FCC lost court fight. Federal court said SVRS made their money fair according to FCC rules. FCC cant take back company profit. So FCC try to reduce profit, cut rate for that company 40% cut for other companies 1% or 2 %. If you not do good business, you shouldn't make money! If you do good business, you should profit. American Way! If you punish only the biggest company that is favorite and most successful, force them close, who is left? SVRS don't want any company close. Wants continue competition, customers choice who to use. FCC says only companies that not make profit can continue. Sorenson has more deaf employees than all other providers put together! And still make profit. Until FCC says stop. Then how will deaf manage with only smallest VRS companies? Use your brain!

You make absolutely no sense at all.

Sorenson does not want any competition. They blocked everyone from using their VPs to make VRS calls to any other relay company for several years, until the FCC finally made a decision to require them to open it up. Sorenson laughed all the way to the bank. They protest anything that could threaten to make them any less profit - just like any other for profit company that doesn't care about their customers, they only care about the $$$. So you've got it all wrong.

The FCC is stopping the blatant abuse of profits here. Instead of keeping jobs for those deaf people working at Sorenson, Sorenson will lay them off so that the hearing people at the top can keep their bonuses and profit margins. That tells you just how much Sorenson cares about the community.

"A Message from the FCC’s Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau to the VRS Community

You may have seen claims that the video relay service (VRS) program is threatened. This is not true. The FCC is committed to ensuring the provision of high quality VRS to all individuals who need this service. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires telecommunications access that is functionally equivalent to voice telephone services for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities. The FCC continues to believe that VRS is the most functionally equivalent form of relay for people who communicate using American Sign Language (ASL). We stand ready to meet our obligation to preserve and protect the VRS program so that ASL users and hearing people can communicate with each other over distances. This was the goal of Congress in passing the ADA and it continues to be our goal.

Here are the facts: On April 30th, the FCC released a Public Notice (DA-10-761A1.doc) asking the general public for feedback on what VRS providers should be paid to handle VRS calls for the next year. The Public Notice seeks comment on reimbursing providers based on the actual costs that VRS providers themselves claim to have incurred over the past few years to provide VRS. The only way to safeguard the VRS program is to adopt reasonable rates for all forms of relay services. Thus, it is our goal to adopt rates that are rationally based on the reasonable costs of actually providing VRS. We welcome all comments on our Public Notice, and will take all feedback into account to determine the next VRS rates. The VRS program will continue to provide the excellent communication service that you need.

Joel Gurin, Bureau Chief
Karen Peltz Strauss, Deputy Bureau Chief"
Ed’s Telecom Alert FCC Comments on Health of VRS

I guess it should be a good news for all VRS providers!

Not every deaf can afford that

Not every hearing person can afford phone services either.

And before you complain about deafies having to pay for Internet, more and more telecommunications companies are requiring hearing people to get cable or fibre optics services alongside phone services; usually the phone service is bundled with TV and or Internet services.

Not every hearing person can afford phone services either.

And before you complain about deafies having to pay for Internet, more and more telecommunications companies are requiring hearing people to get cable or fibre optics services alongside phone services; usually the phone service is bundled with TV and or Internet services.

i know so its really focused here on VRS and the FCC so lets not wind off topic

Since Sorenson pulled the " scare tactic" and many of you folks fell for it ...

Why not scare Sorenson and not use their service or one, two or three months...

Use another VRS company since there is over 30 to choose from.

Then Sorenson will think twice of pulling the " scare tactic" next time ...

Since Sorenson pulled the " scare tactic" and many of you folks fell for it ...

Why not scare Sorenson and not use their service or one, two or three months...

Use another VRS company since there is over 30 to choose from.

Then Sorenson will think twice of pulling the " scare tactic" next time ...

SouthFella its not just sorenson but all VP companies that use VRS. its FCC doing the "scare tactic". and many deaf feel we need to voice out and make it known in america and elsewhere. so dont say its just 1 company when its multiple...think 2xs.

Not every deaf can afford that

I beg to differ on that.

If a deaf person can afford to go online at home, send a sms from his/her pager, he/she can surely afford the monthly payment.

It's all about careful budgeting and being very wise with money.

I beg to differ on that.

If a deaf person can afford to go online at home, send a sms from his/her pager, he/she can surely afford the monthly payment.

It's all about careful budgeting and being very wise with money.

It's not the monthly payment for VRS that I would have a problem with. I would pay for it. I'll be more than happy to pay for the services.

It's the internet providers that I have a problem with. It's an ongoing problem in Canada. We pay more on average in comparison to the Americans and we get much less in return.

To be more specific what the big problem is, bandwidth cap.

Cogeco

High Speed Internet Lite - 10GB/month - $29.95/month
High Speed Internet Lite Plus - 30GB/month - $34.95/month
High Speed Internet Standard - 60GB/month - $45.95/month
High Speed Internet Pro - 125GB/month - $76.95/month
High Speed Internet Ultimate 30 - 125GB/month - $64.95/month
High Speed Internet Ultimate 50 - 150GB/per month - $104.95/month

Bell

Essential Plus - 2GB/month - $31.95/month plus modem fee of $3.95/month
Performance - 25GB/month - $41.95/month plus modem fee of $3.95/month
Fibre 6 - 25GB/month - $41.95/month plus modem fee of $3.95/month
Fibre 12 - 50GB/month - $51.95/month plus modem fee of $3.95/month
Fibre 16 - 75GB/month - $61.95/month plus modem fee of $3.95/month
Fibre 25 - 75GB/month - $67.95/month plus modem fee of $6.95/month

Rogers
(P2P applications limited to 80kbps)

Ultra-Lite Internet - 2GB/month - $27.99/month plus modem fee of $3.00/month
Lite Internet - 25GB/month - $35.99/month plus modem fee of $3.00/month
Express Internet - 60GB/month - $46.99/month plus modem fee of $3.00/month
Extreme Internet - 95GB/month - $59.99/month plus modem fee of $3.00/month
Extreme Plus Internet - 125GB/month - $69.99/month plus modem fee of $7.00/month
Ultimate Internet - 175GB/month - $99.99/month plus modem fee of $7.00/month

Shaw
(modem included)

High-Speed Lite - 10GB/month - $33.00/month
High-Speed - 60GB/month - $45.00/month
High-Speed Extreme - 100GB/month - $55.00/month
High-Speed Warp - 150GB/month - $106.00/month

Don't forget the taxes aren't included.

Now, you may see why some deaf consumers may balk at the costs of paying for access to the internet they need in order to use the VRS. The basic package probably wouldn't be ideal since it's limited to 2GB per month, and 25GB isn't really that much if you download a lot. VRS and video chats can take up a good amount of bandwidth if it's regularly used. Also, the speed will vary by the package you subscribe to.

Why is bandwidth cap being used in Canada while it isn't being enforced by most internet providers in the USA? I know Comcast got some backlash after establishing a bandwidth cap.

It's a cash grab at its best and we need to put a stop to it.

Damn... you guys don't get Shaw?

I only have to pay $19.95 for 100GB with 15MBPS download and 1MBPS upload.

Been that way for three years now.

Damn... you guys don't get Shaw?

I only have to pay $19.95 for 100GB with 15MBPS download and 1MBPS upload.

Been that way for three years now.

I recall you telling me about that. Although I went to their website and I don't see such a deal. How did you manage to get that for only $19.95 per month?

The cheapest is $33.00/month (standalone) with a limit of 10GB/month. I just updated the list.

I recall you telling me about that. Although I went to their website and I don't see such a deal. How did you manage to get that for only $19.95 per month?

The cheapest is $33.00/month (standalone) with a limit of 10GB/month. I just updated the list.

Maybe it's different for every province? :dunno:

Oooh.

I figured it out (from looking at the bills.)

It's because I keep moving, so they couldn't charge me the full amount until I reside in one place longer than 6 months.

Plus whenever I get downtimes... I complain, so they add a free month worth of Internet once in awhile. I think last year, I got about 5 months worth of free Internet.

Back