Fcc plan cut vrs

So annoying each time I read. Why everyone think they will back to TDD if VRS down. What's about AIM relay, internet relay, BB relay, iphone relay, etc...

Right. Deaf to Deaf (P2P) ? Back to use SKYPE video chat or SKYPE TV ooVoo for deaf people only.

And I just chat with me friend who went to Blacksburg, VA for Sorenson VRS open house. I was so so so shocked to hear Sorenson will have a new product out which it will be BADASS for everyone! I bet everyone will be so excited for a new product by Sorenson! 3 new products will be out! it will be one of sickest products ever

And I just chat with me friend who went to Blacksburg, VA for Sorenson VRS open house. I was so so so shocked to hear Sorenson will have a new product out which it will be BADASS for everyone! I bet everyone will be so excited for a new product by Sorenson! 3 new products will be out! it will be one of sickest products ever

Mobile VP??? VP300??? But they may stop to make new product if FCC cut rate

Some basic facts:
There are 3 tier rates, set up to encourage VRS providers to grow and become more efficients
The current rate structure will end June 30.
Between each of the 3 rates there is about $0.20 difference.
The new rate plan will subtract about $1 from the first rate serving the least customers.
It will add to the middle rate some cents, serving more people than smallest company.
It will subtract about %40 percent of the current rate from the largest provider, the one most people (85%) use.
Last June, FCC told Sorenson they made too much money at current rate. They need to give some back. Sorenson said, we followed all the rules, ran business efficiently, made profit. We want to reinvest that profit into business, make it better. FCC has no right to tell us what to do with profit. (Still live in America!) Fought FCC in federal court and won.
All of this info is available online. All vrs companies new rates were up for review. All went to FCC to inform of their costs and suggest a rate structure. It was anticipated that the rates would go down as providers grow and become more efficient. Instead of taking those plans into consideration, FCC listened to NECA, the people who write the checks to the companies for their services. NECA just pays the bills, doesn't understand the industry or what is involved in providing VRS. So the 3-tier plan has gone from one that rewards the companies that are do the best job to punishing the company that serves the most people in most efficient way. This company gets the least money per minute and serves the most people and it still makes a profit. They weren't involved in the fraud either. If they were you'd have seen it in the news. They are the 2nd largest employer of the deaf in this country, 2nd only to the post office. So yes, it is serious business. It will impact the deaf community more than anything else if VRS goes away or is cut back. Think about what that means to you and tell the FCC, no matter who is your favorite provider.

So annoying each time I read. Why everyone think they will back to TDD if VRS down. What's about AIM relay, internet relay, BB relay, iphone relay, etc...

I'm sure they mean TDD consider it as Text Relay Service.

Mobile VP, and software and CELL PHONE that come with video on it! That is VERY sickest! We must pressure on FCC to not cute RATE

If new Sorenson devices like Mobile VP will be coming, we suppose to buy them. Other VRS providers have sold other products. Not free!!!

If new Sorenson devices like Mobile VP will be coming, we suppose to buy them. Other VRS providers have sold other products. Not free!!!

Oh well, that is Sorenson's decision. If they want to provide free, that is fine while we are in a bad bad we are having right now. I prefer free as for now until the stock, and everything are back normal then I think its a good idea to pay but just let you know that Vice President also told them mobile will be look like IPAD which it will be sickest of products ever.

You are right but Sorenson CAN drive to become bankruptcy with rate of 3.98 dollars.

Nah, Sorenson isn't going to go bankrupt. There are at least three levels of dollar figures for sets of monthly minutes. In short, the less minutes submitted/billed for, the more $ per minute is paid out.

I am going to go with ConvoRelay. Heck, already am.....

Sorenson is spreading misinformation about VRS rate cuts. You should be made aware that Sorenson more likely has cash reserves and holds significant market share so it won’t go bankrupt. Reduced service quality and going bankrupt are simply scare tactics. Sorenson has sold bonds earlier this year and now in light of the proposed rate cut its bonds took a nose dive. Clearly, Sorenson is attempting to prevent the proposed rate cut from taking place. Think of one positive outcome of the proposed rate cut, we, deaf consumers, won’t be inundated with Sorenson’s cronies who invade our privacy to make sure that we use SVRS on a regular basis. Sorenson is just another greedy corporation that has too much control and wants to continue making money at our expense. It has lost its sight of providing quality service to the deaf community. So, the bottom line, I advocate the rate cut. I hope that will help Sorenson as well as other VRS providers shift their priorities. You just have to remember FCC is on our side and it is not in business of driving VRS providers out of business. Its goal is to ensure that VRS providers continue to offer quality service to the deaf community and at the same time evaluate rates on an on-going basis to ensure VRS providers are being reimbursed fairly and not to mention make sure that the money is not being misused. Is it reasonable enough? I think so.

I'm sure they mean TDD consider it as Text Relay Service.

A technology are big different. You must to pay phone line for TDD only and you must to pay high speed internet without phone line for internet relay. I prefer internet relay over phone line for unlimited.

Lets look at this plan,

Tier 1 - 5.77 per minute

Tier 2 - 6.03 per minute

Tier 3 - 3.89 per minute

Ok, the decrease from tier 2 to tier 3 is whopping 45% lower

Why this plan will prevent any provider from develop a new product and make imporovement?

Suppose yourelf are an owner of a VRS company, and your VRS company is in tier 2 plan. Would you be willing to spent millions of dollars to do research and develop a new product which would be great for us, and you will have high chance of kicking yourself into Tier 3 plan, meaning you will lose 45% of income, are you willing to do that? I personally will NOT be willing to invest my money expecting losses of 45% in the end so sorry I won't make any improvements. That is why this plan is not effective due to no motivation, and rewarding factor into improvements. This would result no point for ANY VRS provider invest themselves for future improvements.

Secondly, this is easy for Tier 2 to cheat the system that way. How? Easy!

Tier 2 has minutes up to 499,999. And for Tier 3 500,000 minutes and beyond, that is equal to 3.015 million dollars, so say if this provider hit 700,000 minutes which would mean 2.723 million dollars, which one would you think that provider bill to FCC, 499,999 minutes or 700,000 minutes?

499,999 minutes = $3.014993 million
700,000 minutes = $2.723 million

If I were VRS provider, I will bill FCC 499999 minutes not 700000 minutes because it is more money.

Do the math, that proposal is not workable and is not feasible and encourages VRS provider to cheat in between, and kills the motivation to make any improvements!

Lets look at this plan,

Tier 1 - 5.77 per minute

Tier 2 - 6.03 per minute

Tier 3 - 3.89 per minute

Ok, the decrease from tier 2 to tier 3 is whopping 45% lower

Why this plan will prevent any provider from develop a new product and make imporovement?

Suppose yourelf are an owner of a VRS company, and your VRS company is in tier 2 plan. Would you be willing to spent millions of dollars to do research and develop a new product which would be great for us, and you will have high chance of kicking yourself into Tier 3 plan, meaning you will lose 45% of income, are you willing to do that? I personally will NOT be willing to invest my money expecting losses of 45% in the end so sorry I won't make any improvements. That is why this plan is not effective due to no motivation, and rewarding factor into improvements. This would result no point for ANY VRS provider invest themselves for future improvements.

Secondly, this is easy for Tier 2 to cheat the system that way. How? Easy!

Tier 2 has minutes up to 499,999. And for Tier 3 500,000 minutes and beyond, that is equal to 3.015 million dollars, so say if this provider hit 700,000 minutes which would mean 2.723 million dollars, which one would you think that provider bill to FCC, 499,999 minutes or 700,000 minutes?

499,999 minutes = $3.014993 million
700,000 minutes = $2.723 million

If I were VRS provider, I will bill FCC 499999 minutes not 700000 minutes because it is more money.

Do the math, that proposal is not workable and is not feasible and encourages VRS provider to cheat in between, and kills the motivation to make any improvements!

NO.

You did the math wrong. For your example, 700,000 minutes, the VRS providers still get paid $3,014,993.00 for the 500,000 minutes. The next 200K minutes then get paid $778,000.00, bringing your total to $3,792,993. That's still a lot of money! And for what it's worth, Sorenson is doing a lot more than that per month.

NO.

You did the math wrong. For your example, 700,000 minutes, the VRS providers still get paid $3,014,993.00 for the 500,000 minutes. The next 200K minutes then get paid $778,000.00, bringing your total to $3,792,993. That's still a lot of money! And for what it's worth, Sorenson is doing a lot more than that per month.

Yep. That's how it works. :)

You just crack me up with your thinking.

Seriously, stop it.

And that's exactly what SVRS is doing - it's getting its customers involved into its problems rather than dealing it with FCC on its own. If the VRS provider decides to stop, it doesn't really care about customers at all, it's all about greed.

Back