favourite modem/router brand

Grummer

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am about to purchase a router/modem for my new PC, and have wireless as well.
i am looking at linksys, or 3com, or dlink. but probably will choose linksys even though it is not the cheapest it has a solid reputation. for its reliability. but then again i suspect it comes down to how loyality affects our judgement of what is reliable so from that I am asking a couple of simple question,

A) what brand of router/modem do you have?
B) and why did you chose that one over another?
C) was it speed, or range of the wireless that's most important?
D) was it a 'fan club' or 'computer-related forums' that you belonged to influnced your decision making

on a side note, you dont have to answer all of the questions above, if you can, or dont wish to, just im trying to guage what is the most popular router/modem among ADer's

Last edited:
I have the Linksys WRT350N with Motorola 3347 DSL modem in bridge mode. Reason I went with the WRT350N is because it supports N wireless, and it has Gigabit ports and it has an USB connection for if you want to plug in an external hard drive for a network storage drive.

I have my D-Link DIR-615 router and Motorola SR5100 cable modem. Use my DWA-130 wireless N USB adapter for my laptop. This router provides a better wireless signal for your network than existing wireless 802.11g technology.

I use Linksys product cuz of better reliability and durability. D-link seems to crap out on me whenever I put a huge stress on it (hardcore downloading). I'm using a widely popular Linksys WRT54G (wireless) for home. Wireless range is of no concern to me cuz it's a small place. I want a sturdy reliability on being able to handle hardcore downloading and file transferring and WRT54G was able to handle it with no problem.

In my storage box - I have 5 routers - Netgear, D-Link, and rest are Linksys (for chain-linking purpose) and 2 4-ports Linksys gigabit switch. Netgear & D-Link are POS.

I use Linksys product cuz of better reliability and durability. D-link seems to crap out on me whenever I put a huge stress on it (hardcore downloading). I'm using a widely popular Linksys WRT54G (wireless) for home. Wireless range is of no concern to me cuz it's a small place. I want a sturdy reliability on being able to handle hardcore downloading and file transferring and WRT54G was able to handle it with no problem.

In my storage box - I have 5 routers - Netgear, D-Link, and rest are Linksys (for chain-linking purpose) and 2 4-ports Linksys gigabit switch. Netgear & D-Link are POS.

Well, Sorenson don't support Linksys WRT54G because Linksys don't work VP-100 / VP-200 which incoming calls are nothing. I know that you don't have videophone now. :)

Well, Sorenson don't support Linksys WRT54G because Linksys don't work VP-100 / VP-200 which incoming calls are nothing. I know that you don't have videophone now. :)

Old news, Diehardbikers said VP is work with Linksys router if you update the firmware and must be after 2007.

The issues on VP has fixed via firmware update on Linksys routers.

I'm using Linksys wireless router and it's great router.

Old news, Diehardbikers said VP is work with Linksys router if you update the firmware and must be after 2007.

The issues on VP has fixed via firmware update on Linksys routers.

No problem. :D

I've came across a wide array of routers and switches during my PC lifetime, especially at work, where network installation and support were one of the things I did on a constant basis for new clients and old alike.

My experience with them varies, if anything I think they're all within the same line, it's just their costs that determines their effectiveness.

Currently at home, I'm using the DIR-655 N gigabit router as a bridge to my Verizon FIOS " Actiontec " router. No choice but to do this, because verizon requires that we have to use their router if you want to watch HD TV with the package.

If you are going to switch or get a new service provider, wait it out first and see if they are going to have to require you to use their equipment. If they don't require that, then you've got some luck.

For cablemodem using the coaxial I'd recommend Motorola Surfboard, never went wrong with one.

From my experience, I find the Dlink administration a lot smooth and easier to handle at once compared to the Linksys standard drab, but this is completely personal preference.

Don't choose Netgear though, they're sturdy but I find them a pain in the ass.

There's also one more interesting thing that I have to say, I've seen more Linksys routers go kaput in a business environment compared to D-Links, I have no idea why. Offhand, I would guessimate it was per every 5 linksys that went bad, 1 dlink went out. These were all business environments where there would be minimum 5 to maximum 50 pc's networked.

Fortunately it's always straightfoward to grab that WRT54G at radioshack or the local bestbuy or something to replace it. That's pretty much Linksys's "standard" line now, I don't think D-link has one to date, yet.

Oh, and also having been to their corporate office here in Irvine, CA, I even saw them with a Dlink hooked up in there! Ironic, but it could have been possibly for testing or comparison purposes.

is this right place to discuss about VP 200 or just router and modem issues?
let me know..

Thanks

Craz

so what does anyone think of the linksys WAG54G ?

Doing some searching, seems that this is an international release.
Linksys WA54G, ADSL modem built in and router combined in one, with 4 ports, 802.11 b&g only.

Technical specifications, the only downside is that it doesn't have wireless N connection if you're into that. 1Gb/sec transfers over the standard 10/100.

I can't really give my experience with this because I've never touched those here in the states, seems most sites giving info is out in the UK. But with giving general statements, I can say this:

Stay away from built in modems and routers in one. Stuff like this hasn't gone completely broad mainstream yet and there are reasons why. There's more things that can go wrong if you've got something incorrectly configured. Not to mention diagnosing future problems, I'm not sure how the WA54G's admin configuration would be like, but you'd have to go through 2x the trouble to figure out if it's the WAN that's not giving you net connection, or your LAN side.

But if this is all for a smooth and straightforward modem so you don't have to mess with two electronic devices, by all means don't let what I say hold you back.

I personally find having the service modem and router separate makes things a lot easier to get it "the way you want it", but this is more of a geek preference.

Also, did some googling on the WAG54G as the search term - take a look around, there's some considerable negative responses towards it as well as your usual happy camper responses.

is this right place to discuss about VP 200 or just router and modem issues?
let me know..

Thanks

Craz
Yeah Craz, you can talk about it anywhere in Computer/IT. If Grummer doesn't mind you posting about VP200 here, by all means do so since this is a relevant topic considering it.

Actually, Linksys does work with VP100/200. If you have WRT54G versions 1 thru 4 and versions 8, and any newer Linksys routers, then VP will work. When Cisco bought out Linksys a while back, they changed the chipset in the routers to Anthros, in version 5, 6 and 7, they did not work with VP. Lots of people (hearing too) did not like the Anthros chipset, so Cisco switched back to Broadcom chipsets, so they do work with VPs. I have the Linksys WRT350N and it works great with my VP-200 at home.

Back