Favorite holiday memory?

My favorite memory was seeing the sight of beautiful luminarias in their homes and other business buildings. I used to go with someone to ride through the Old Town of Albuquerque where I used to lived for long time. I love seeing the lights brighten up the city. I never forget about this which I see them every year while I was living in New Mexico many years ago before moving up to Canada.

I am back here from Canada and we are living in the back of the people's homes and can not be seen, so this year we did not line up the luminarias, the traditional way this year. Beside we are getting too old to put luminarias up on our houses. :(

Just Christmas trees lights.

Traditionally, luminarias are made from brown paper bags weighted down with sand and illuminated from within by a lit candle. These are typically arranged in rows to create large and elaborate displays. The hope among Roman Catholics is that the lights will guide the spirit of the Christ child to one's home.

In recent times they are seen more as a secular decoration, akin to Christmas lights. Strings of artificial luminarias, with plastic bags illuminated by small light bulbs and connected by an electrical cord, are also available, and are common in the American Southwest, where they are typically displayed throughout the year-end holiday season. These are beginning to gain popularity in other parts of the United States.

Santa Fe and Old Town Albuquerque, New Mexico, are well known for their impressive Christmas Eve farolito (luminarias to their Spanish name) displays. Farolito displays are common throughout New Mexico, and most communities in New Mexico have farolitos in prominent areas such as major streets or parks. Residents often line their yards, fences, sidewalks, and roofs with farolitos. Similar traditions can now also be found in many other parts of the nation including California. :D

We did luminaries a few years at our old house. I think it was a neighborhood thing for a few years.

Last edited:
I saw something similar posted on FB this year. It was outlining the boots with the powder to leave the foot prints. I'm sure many kids & parents enjoyed that.

This was almost twenty years ago. My kids still talk about it every Christmas.

One year, when my youngest was still young, my oldest daughter and I went into her room to wake her up. She didn't want to wake up. We told her someone had come last night and her head popped up and her eyes lit up. :)

This year, she's 20 now, I have a pic of her excited face when she realized that the ice skate box indeed had ice skates in it. Priceless.

LoveBlue, I thought my kids were the only ones to not wake up early for Santa. Maybe twice they did, but usually hubby and I come downstairs, make a cup of tea, grab the cam corder and go wake them up.

LoveBlue, I thought my kids were the only ones to not wake up early for Santa. Maybe twice they did, but usually hubby and I come downstairs, make a cup of tea, grab the cam corder and go wake them up.

Apparently my oldest daughter did wake up some years (probably when she was older) but she waited till 6:00 or for us to come get her. We were usually awake early in anticipation.

Back