Fake Sign Language Interpreter at Nelson Mandela memorial

I hope he's not getting away with it this time since it may be world news by now.

WDYS!'s quote;

The fake interpreter been going around making fake hand movements atother events, and no one notice the guy was a total fake. :shock:

That means he got away with it in the past. Unbelievable!

Someone on FB had already put up profile picture

2emfuk6.jpg

someone mentioned that the fake interpreter name is Thami Janjite. I am still searching for the link or anything!

I was really pissed off about him and no one did anything to take him down. You know this is not his first time doing a fake terping, he did one time last year and no one even bothered to stop him.

Here's video of him last year:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzRSE_p1Ys&feature=player_embedded]Jacob Zuma sings "Kill the Boer" at ANC Centenery Celebrations in Bloemfontein, South Africa - YouTube[/ame]

I'm floored that no one thought to ask, "So, are you qualified to Sign? Do you know it fluently? Where did you get your certification." I'm actually more amazed that once it was obvious he didn't that no one stopped the speakers because of the translation issue. What a slap in the face to the deaf and HOH viewers. This wouldn't have tolerated for an oral language.

Laura

I'm floored that no one thought to ask, "So, are you qualified to Sign? Do you know it fluently? Where did you get your certification." I'm actually more amazed that once it was obvious he didn't that no one stopped the speakers because of the translation issue. What a slap in the face to the deaf and HOH viewers. This wouldn't have tolerated for an oral language.

Laura

Anybody there that wasn't deaf was probably paying no attention to the guy. Why would they notice? They're paying attention to the guy talking.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9d5T7IQ_I]sign language ... LOL ... Very funny - YouTube[/ame]

same act as black interpreter. :giggle:

Anybody there that wasn't deaf was probably paying no attention to the guy. Why would they notice? They're paying attention to the guy talking.

Any time a formal presentation is given for an official event, a translator has to present their credentials to provide the services required. I'm a tad blown away that no one thought to get his in advance.

Any time a formal presentation is given for an official event, a translator has to present their credentials to provide the services required. I'm a tad blown away that no one thought to get his in advance.

Oh for sure, I was just talking about the idea that he should have been stopped and pulled off the stage. Most people would have been completely oblivious to the guy.

My question is ...how did he get past security?

My question is ...how did he get past security?

Because he was hired for the event and had the right to be present. The bigger question is who was the idiot that hired him in the first place...

Do any of you (interpreters namely I'd assume) know the process to get accredited as an interpreter in Africa?? I'm wondering why there are only 6 accredited professionals in the whole country....

Not only am I wondering the why and how of this whole thing but the guy stood there "interpreting" for heads of state for four hours and was not dragged off the stage!

Because he was hired for the event and had the right to be present. The bigger question is who was the idiot that hired him in the first place...

Ok..I didn't see that part that he was hired.

Ok..I didn't see that part that he was hired.

He couldn't have wandered in off the street and casually made his way to the stage. Everyone that was there had to be cleared by security. It's amazing though given the occasion that no one took it upon themselves to verify the backgrounds of people working behind the scenes. Clearly, someone wasn't doing their job.

He couldn't have wandered in off the street and casually made his way to the stage. Everyone that was there had to be cleared by security. It's amazing though given the occasion that no one took it upon themselves to verify the backgrounds of people working behind the scenes. Clearly, someone wasn't doing their job.
Maybe security know him as an interpreter from old events.

Back