Envision SL

mrcyberbill

Reaction score
Hello:

Anyone using this software (Envision SL) with a webcam?

Questions:

1:Can a D-link or Sorenson VP-100/200 call you?

2:What do they type to connect - a phone number or your IP address or IP Name?

3:If so, what ports on the router have to be open for an incoming connect?

Thanks, Bill
Central Florida Deaf, HOH and American Sign Language ASL Website and Forums

I have use Envision SL while I was waiting for my VP100 to be approve and set up in my home.

Yes VP100 folks can call and connect to Envision SL.

I was able to set up my Envision SL to use a phone number so VP100 folks can call me by the phone number but I think it will also accept IP addressing.

You will have to set up your router to forward some ports to Envision SL so you will need to follow direction on Sorenson website about forwarding ports to the computer's ip that is running Envision SL.

Bill

Hello Bill:

Thanks for the information.

1: I am guessing I can use any number for the phone number as long as it is not being used by someone else on the Sorenson Network? I am guessing it does not have to be my true landline number?

2: Just Curious. How does another unit know my "Phone Number" resolves to this unit? When I start the program does it report my IP and "Phone Number" to some central server that resolves all calls made on a Sorenson unit in the same fashion that DNS & a DNS Server does?

3: I am guessing when this is done what is normally done is go to deafVP.com - The Sorenson videophone directory and register the number so others can use that to call me?

Thanks for the help!
- Bill

Hello Bill:

Thanks for the information.

1: I am guessing I can use any number for the phone number as long as it is not being used by someone else on the Sorenson Network? I am guessing it does not have to be my true landline number?

2: Just Curious. How does another unit know my "Phone Number" resolves to this unit? When I start the program does it report my IP and "Phone Number" to some central server that resolves all calls made on a Sorenson unit in the same fashion that DNS & a DNS Server does?

3: I am guessing when this is done what is normally done is go to deafVP.com - The Sorenson videophone directory and register the number so others can use that to call me?

Thanks for the help!
- Bill

It been awhile since I have used the Envision SL but there a setting where you enter your name and phone number and yes you use any phone number as long it not already taken by other.

When you start Envision SL it will log into Sorenson Directory and add your phone number to it with your ip just like a special DNS server just for Envision SL and Video Phone 100/200 that connects to when it turn on or online.

I have not use the Envision SL for a long time so it may have change but that how it worked for me the last time I used it.

Bill

Hello Bill:

OK, thanks for the information. It is set up .. by the way the ILS.**********.com is down for maintainance, so I guess i'll have to wait a bit for the non-IP calling.

Thanks again!
- Bill

I used to use the Envision SL software regularly, but lately I'm finding that I cannot call or be called by the same person I have always called in the past. I have reinstalled Envision, changed my port forwarding entries on my router, and even thrown the calling machine in my DMZ and have had no success. I wonder if Sorenson no longer supports point to point calling using their directory because it's obvious from all of my use of this product that it does not even use or support the standard ILS -- which also never seems to be online.

Any ideas for us webcam to VP users? :type:

The only way you can use Envision SL though point to point calls is using IP address. The phone number as far as I know is currently out of service and it has never been working for pretty while. So, best use IP address.

Back